Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Computer Experts

rhosneigr

My PC has been playing up over the last 12 months but up to now the problem has been overcome by a reboot after start up. Problem is that on start up the mouse works OK but as soon as a key is hit on the keyboard everything freezes. Other times on start up the keyboard works but the mouse does not. As mentioned a couple of reboots has usually cured the problem until the next start up, but now nothing I do seems to get the keyboard and mouse working at the same time. I'm running windows xp on pentium 4. Any help would be appreciated.

is your mouse and keyboard usb? it sound like there is a driver clash try reinstalling or updating the drivers for both, i had a similar problem after a load of probs and fiddling i fixed it with reg mechanic, as i dont know how to adjust the registry my self the two were tryig to use the driver at the same time or somthing like that

Personally...I find a a fresh install of win xp, onto a formatted hard drive will be the best overall solution.

I know it sounds like a sledgehammer to crack a nut - and it is hassle to save everything first, but in my experience it is the only guaranteed way to make your PC feel like brand new again :D. You will be amazed at just how much faster and reliable it will be :D :D

Registry cleaning and so on is always a bit risky, and if you have some sort of virus, or missing /damaged op sys files.....fresh install is the only real way to go.

You can get some good free software these days ( downloadable ) to make a back up copy of all your hardware drivers first - then it s a pretty simple job to reconfigure everything after re-installing windows.

Let me know if you feel you want to do it, and I will be glad to help futher.

( been building PCs for about 10 years now )

If you have a good up to date virsu checker so you know it's not that then try disconnecting one and see if the other works. Then try it the other way round ( just play for 5 or 10 minutes ). If they are OK on their own then remove them from hardware and re-install. If still a problem update drivers from manufactures site. If still no good ....^^^^^^ .... what they said up there.

In my experience freezing at bootup only to be followed by a successful boot is usually down to something trying to contact the net on immediate usage.

On my system I tracked culprits down to having Norton LiveUpdate switched to auto update and Acronis Privacy Expert (since removed).

Anything like that ?

Thanks for all your replies.The pc is with my grandchildren in Yorkshire at present so I'm not able to access it. It's not been connected to the internet for about 4 months. Thanks for your offer of assistance eunos800, I hope I can contact you when I have it back within the next few weeks.

Thanks for all your replies.The pc is with my grandchildren in Yorkshire at present so I'm not able to access it. It's not been connected to the internet for about 4 months. Thanks for your offer of assistance eunos800, I hope I can contact you when I have it back within the next few weeks.

Glad to help...just email me and we will sort you :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links