Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Worried

Gave my new IS250 its first wash today. Argento Ice. 2weeks old.

Noticed small orange rusty looking specs in the paintwork in the inward curved areas on the body. :o

Is this normal? Not seen anything like it before.

Most likely explanation is some sort of atmospheric polution. Cars parked regularly near railway lines, for example, can become covered by tiny iron filings from braking trains.

Noticed small orange rusty looking specs in the paintwork in the inward curved areas on the body. :o

This ain't like those water bubble type things that others have complained about before ? :blink:

My personal opinion would be take it back to the stealership and tell them you're not happy and want to change the car for another one.

This ain't like those water bubble type things that others have complained about before ? :blink:

My personal opinion would be take it back to the stealership and tell them you're not happy and want to change the car for another one.

Did they wash off? If they did easily and there is no visible paint "deformaty" where the marks were (i.e the paint is smooth and perfect underneath, rich and glossy with depthin the lacquer) then the chances of a defect are remote...and it could be polution as mentioned.

If on the other hand the paint does not look deep and lustrous then you have a serious problem.

Either way - report it immediately to the garage and keep a photographic record if you can/and the marks are still there. Don't use anything like T-CUT or other paint cut to remove it, tempting as it may be, until the manufacturer has seen it first hand and follow their recommendation...that way you're "protected".

Good luck...

Sorry to hear about your problems with the paint. DO you have a picture to post on the forum so we all know what to look out for?

Tried to take some last night but camera wouldn't focus properly in macro mode as it was too dark.

Will try to get some again tonight otherwise will have to wait until next weekend. Unfortunately it's dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home.

I wouldn't have thought it was pollution as it's only evident in particular places. The inwardly curved areas

like behind the rear door window. like tiny orange specks. Some washed away, some didn't.

maybe you've been tango'ed? :whistling:

i'll get my coat....

As some of the contamination has washed away it is certainly "not in the paint":try LUKE Warm Fairy Liquid followed by Autoglym Shampoo. :driving:

The monies still on a polution type problem, metal filings in the door seals etc. (WE ALL HOPE)

I would still suggest that you take some snaps of the bits that cannot be removed easily (i.e. just plain simple water) and get advice from Lexus...there could be an underlying problem with poorly galvanealed, primed panels.

I would err on the side of caution when using anything to get these markings off on such a new car - you want the evidence so that Lexus take some quick decisive diagnosis, prognosis...and hopefully action too...

I understand that Galvanealing is a metal prep process which most Japanese manufacturers now use as the norm, whereas the germans use both Galvanealed and Galvanised panells (there is a difference between the 2 I was reliably told by a mate with a body shop) - which really won't rust for a long long time......

PS I dunno about lexus body/paint warranties, but if you read the small print most only cover against "perforation", yep you've guessed it - a hole...!

I'm going to take some photos next weekend when it's light.

I've booked into take it into the dealers the weekend after (I'm going away next weekend) so if it is a big problem it will get worse.

If it was a problem with the paint I would expect more people to have the same issue and be complaining on here. Hopefully it is just pollution.

They are doing some work to strengthen the river wall near my house. There is a lot of metal cutting going on so you never know, although, I would expect it to be all over the car if that was the case.

I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Any one else here with Argento Ice had a close look at their paint behind the rear window?

There's no way i'll be going near my car with Fairy liquid! You're asking for trouble. :duh:

Other than that mate, how is the car?

PS are U sure that it's not just plain simple new car protective WAX? Some of these can look orangy, and on my previous car the original factory fitted wax was still there 3 years later on some "hidden" surfaces...when I sold it! That looked a bit specledy yellowy orangy rustyish - and that too was a silver car!!

I still think the cars fantastic although I do have a few minor issues.

The windscreen wiper deicer does not seem to work properly. It barely gets warm whereas it should be hot to the touch. (so i'm LED to believe).

Not sure if the Cruise Control works properly.

Perhaps you can help me.

If you set speed at say 40mph and go downhill, does it hold the car at 40?

Other cars I've driven with CC do hold the car at a constant speed but my Lexus does not.

Loud click from the driver side of the centre console when leaning against it.

Dealer will be looking at these issues when I take the car in. We will also go out in a demonstrator to compare the Cruise Control.

Even so I still a extremely pleased with my purchase. Especially the MM pack. The sound is absolutely amazing.

PS are U sure that it's not just plain simple new car protective WAX? Some of these can look orangy, and on my previous car the original factory fitted wax was still there 3 years later on some "hidden" surfaces...when I sold it! That looked a bit specledy yellowy orangy rustyish - and that too was a silver car!!

The windscreen wiper deicer does not seem to work properly. It barely gets warm whereas it should be hot to the touch. (so i'm LED to believe).

Perhaps you can help me.

Other cars I've driven with CC do hold the car at a constant speed but my Lexus does not.

Dealer will be looking at these issues when I take the car in. We will also go out in a demonstrator to compare the Cruise Control.

Even so I still a extremely pleased with my purchase. Especially the MM pack. The sound is absolutely amazing.

My cruise keeps to the SET speed up or down hill & varies by no more than 1mph @ 40mph:not tried it yet @very high speeds. :driving:

Perhaps you can help me.

My cruise keeps to the SET speed up or down hill & varies by no more than 1mph @ 40mph:not tried it yet @very high speeds. :driving:

If the Rust-Spots are partially bonded to the paint work you need to chemically remove NOT physically remove them & you need to "mobilise" the contaminants & flush it off with a mild detergent.Normal Shampoo doesn't work ,you say ,whereas Fairy may followed immediately by flooding with water followed by Autoglym shampoo.Removal by Polishong will scratch the surface :the salt in Fairy is liquid & will do no harm provided you rinse well & only ever use it for extreme situations such as this .Only trying to help!

Tel

The cruise should keep the car to it's "set" speed regardless of the hill...

The deicer I am told is just like the rear windows, or heated mirrors/washers - so it will only get warm (mildly) if that. It's intended to "unfreeze" wiper blades, that's all...by raising the temperature enough to thaw the external surface.

Nice to hear you are still enjoying the baby!!

Does the cruise control on the new IS actually apply the brakes to keep the speed at the set limit on a downhill section of road as per various Mercedes then?

I have never driven anything other than Mercedes E-Classes that do this.

Any one else here with Argento Ice had a close look at their paint behind the rear window?

I too have a silver SE-L with no visible "rust" spots. I have washed the car about four times now and I always have a very close look at it while leathering it off.

Just on your other point the cruise control holds the speed at what ever it is set at. Are you pushing the cruise button in, so that the "CRUISE" sign comes up on the dashboard. You then need to tap the Cruise lever down to then set the speed. Took me a while to figure this, plus a read of the manual! I find the cruise feels wierd as the car does what ever it needs to do to maintain the speed. Having said that I've never been lucky enough to have cruise control before, so maybe that is what it is supposed to do.

Does the cruise control on the new IS actually apply the brakes to keep the speed at the set limit on a downhill section of road as per various Mercedes then?

I have never driven anything other than Mercedes E-Classes that do this.

Driven lots of cars with cruise (mainly hire cars of various types), never had to hit the breaks to slow it down and I do about 25000 a year to different parts of the UK...tell me differently...

On most cars, the cruise control only operates on the throttle, so if the car is going down a hill of any appreciable gradient it will speed up in the same way as a car without cruise control. If the hill isn't too steep, engine braking will keep the speed in check. This is how the cruise control on most of the cars I have owned or driven recently behaved (BMW, Lexus, Vauxhall, Audi, Range Rover).

The Mercedes E-Class however, has some kind of electronic control over the braking system, so the cruise control can actually apply the brakes gently in order to maintain a speed downhill, and will actually slow the car down quite quickly if you select a slower speed. It also has a limit function which prevents the car from exceeding the selected speed. This too applies the brakes if necessary. This is definitely the best cruise control I have used on any car, but it takes quite a bit of getting used to, even if like me, you are used to using cruise control.

On most cars, the cruise control only operates on the throttle, so if the car is going down a hill of any appreciable gradient it will speed up in the same way as a car without cruise control. If the hill isn't too steep, engine braking will keep the speed in check. This is how the cruise control on most of the cars I have owned or driven recently behaved (BMW, Lexus, Vauxhall, Audi, Range Rover).

The Mercedes E-Class however, has some kind of electronic control over the braking system, so the cruise control can actually apply the brakes gently in order to maintain a speed downhill, and will actually slow the car down quite quickly if you select a slower speed. It also has a limit function which prevents the car from exceeding the selected speed. This too applies the brakes if necessary. This is definitely the best cruise control I have used on any car, but it takes quite a bit of getting used to, even if like me, you are used to using cruise control.

I previously had a mercedes SLK which also had a limiter. Possibly this is why I don't think mine works properly on my IS250. There was a noticable slow down when selecting lower speeds.

It might also be that my Windscreen Wiper/Deicer works correctly. I was just going by what I was told - to be careful when touching the screen as it gets v hot. (I think the manual also says this.)

All will be known when I go out for a ride in a demonstrator to compare in a couple of weeks time.

Possibly it's me just being too particular. I just want to make sure everything works as it should.

Still Extremely happy with the car and definitely made the right choice.. Rust permitting :blush:

It might also be that my Windscreen Wiper/Deicer works correctly. I was just going by what I was told - to be careful when touching the screen as it gets v hot. (I think the manual also says this.)

I think this is where the lawyers get involved. They may be just being overly cautious to avoid any potential lawsuits.

I think this is where the lawyers get involved. They may be just being overly cautious to avoid any potential lawsuits.

Yeah :D

I know this is slightly orf torpic, but it's worth finishing this off. Well yesterday I had the use of a 407 SW 1.6HDi SE (yeah, small engined hearse) and tested the Cruise on that:

On the A6, between A14 and Market Harb'ro' (towards Market Harb'ro'), fairly steep downhill approaching - a road I know extremely well - 8.45pm and not a soul in sight...slowed the car down to 40 at the top of the hill, set Cruise to 31 MPH and started to go down the hill in 5th, knowing it would probably labour. To start with the engine braking came in, then it got to about 34MPH, was labouring at steepest point and would not drop the speed any lower...dunno what that proved other than the fact there was coasting only with engine braking...no physical braking on a peugeot...

This is the first time I have ever experienced it, and shows that normally the engine braking coupled to the gearing does it and there is normally no braking involved. And you need some extreme conditions in a manual for this to be a problem.

I suppose, however, in an auto where the engine braking doesn't really do that much, the car drops gears too...? Hence the Merc solution that actually does this? Maybe they should have spent more resources on improving Customer Satisfaction, build quality.... :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links