Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lpg Conversion On Aristo

tempo

Our experience of LPG conversions is not good, although it does give my technicians practise in rebuilding engines!!

From memory, and I am not a technician, LPG conversions tend to burn the valves or valve seats. Lexus advise against LPG, and also I have seen one or two absolutely horrendous installations. My advise honestly is to buy a more economical car or leave "as is".

Have seen some good LPG conversions on Land Rover products, but I don't believe anyone has developed a system for Lexus (hence the bodges I have seen). Hope this helps.

If you want to look into it further, there is a yahoo e-group for LPG users and people looking for info.

I was looking into this about a year ago, but some cars it works with, some it doesn't.

Also most cars (that it works with) return circa 80% fuel efficiency it did before conversion, so if the fuel is half price, what would cost £10 now costs £6.50 (approx.) BUT if in 2004 the tax benefits are reduced - you lose that saving!

Also the cars this worked on seemed to be the more 'agricultural' design engines - land rovers, old vauxhalls and granadas....... better engineered engines didn't seem to react so well. The engine in the Lexus is quite an old design and not particularly well engineered, BUT it is much better than the old blocks that seem to work best with LPG ......... actually - I always wondered if these engines worked better with LPG or whether they were already so rough and lumpy, no-one noticed the difference!!!

Anyway - short version - on investigation, I decided that it was not something worthwhile to do to my Lexus!

(And this was without mentioning the extra weight, the extra dials, the extra filler, the extra tank, the loss of luggage space or spare wheel....... and the loss of any warranty if applicable and the potential to shorten the life of your car - if you want better economy, perhaps you just chose the wrong car?!)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
This is the daftest thing I have heard.

LPG on a twin turbo, what next? Ferrari F50 LPG?

jUST REVISTING THIS TOPIC AS I KNOW SOMEONE HAS HAD IT DONE. i intend to keep my car for a few years.

whats the issue with increase in LPG

LPG on a twin turbo, what next? Ferrari F50 LPG?
Could always mix a bit of Nitrous in with it :P
jUST REVISTING THIS TOPIC AS I KNOW SOMEONE HAS HAD IT DONE. i intend to keep my car for a few years.

whats the issue with increase in LPG

The general increase in fuel prices seems to be catching up with LPG. Mine went up again last week, to 34.5p+VAT per litre, that's 40.5pence/litre in real money. Gone up 3p+VAT/litre in the past 6 months or so.
World prices of LPG in general move in line with crude oil prices, although as with most commodities it does have its own supply and demand parameters, which is a critical determinant of price. Most worldwide producers use a set Saudi Aramco Contract Price (Saudi CP) as a world marker price upon which exports and domestic sales to wholesalers (marketers) are negotiated. The reason for this is that there are few other world quoted prices and Saudi Arabia is the world's largest producer of LPG. World market prices of crude oil and LPG have increased substantially over 1999 and 2000. Higher crude oil prices have resulted from the decision by OPEC and a number other major world producers in March 1999 to reduce production of crude oil (and associated LPG production) after an extended period of low prices.

I'm sorry, but I said that doing a LPG conersion on a Aristo is a pointless and silly thing to do. If you are worried about the high cost of fuel, what are you doing with a 3.0 twin turbo in the first place?

Doing what I do, belting around in a flash car at 10p a mile! :P

I'm sorry, but I said that doing a LPG conersion on a Aristo is a pointless and silly thing to do. If you are worried about the high cost of fuel, what are you doing with a 3.0 twin turbo in the first place?

If you do huge miles and there is a possibility of getting fuel cheaper what sort of idiot would not investigate its feasability? Just because I drive a TT motor (which I'll add is actually more economical than the N/A version) doesn't mean I forfeit my right to have access to cheaper fuel. I'm having to sit day in day out in a sh*tter of a diesel to get to work and back whilst my Aristo sits on the drive. If a high quality LPG kit allowed me to drive my aristo to work then I'd see that as a positive thing.

A little off the original thread but if you are interested in cheap fuel you may wish to participate in the initiative on this site http://www.pipelinecard.org/ (sorry don't know how to post direct link).

It seems genuine so Mods on this list may wish to promote it to all members.

Just a thought.

Hi my tt aristo is fitted with a high power LPG kit that is good for 400bhp.My good friend who converted my car specializes in coverting hi performance and luxery cars.He has a EVO 8 MR 320 fitted with LPG as a demo car and a subaru imprezza turbo before that.My car is simply awsome on LPG.The tank is fitted in the spare wheel well and the filler is in the rear quarter panel but fillers can be fitted descreitly in the bumper.Under the bonnet the air filter box was removed to house the ecu and other componants and a small set of injectors sit next to the inlet manifold.In the car the switch is fitted in a blank swith cover in the center console the gauge is part of the switch.If you dont think its worth it to run your car at aprox 35p per liter then you must have money to burn,but if you want to run a super saloon for less than some diesel cars then Lpg is the way to go.If any body would like i will post pics of aristo.Should also be able to get EVO pics if you like.