Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fume? Smoke?

Evvan

Hi

I've grabbed an 2000 IS200 at 100k on the clock and always notice there's lots of white smoke or fume emmited from exhaust. Went out to check it, smell like petrol fume though. Im worried there may have some problem with the engine or is it normal?

It made me even more worried when i came home, turned off radio, heard there was cracking noise in the engine :crybaby: Wonderin' what may have caused this.. Don wanna go to Lexus it'd cost me fortune :ohmy:

Thankyou peepz

Hi

I've grabbed an 2000 IS200 at 100k on the clock and always notice there's lots of white smoke or fume emmited from exhaust. Went out to check it, smell like petrol fume though. Im worried there may have some problem with the engine or is it normal?

It made me even more worried when i came home, turned off radio, heard there was cracking noise in the engine :crybaby: Wonderin' what may have caused this.. Don wanna go to Lexus it'd cost me fortune :ohmy:

Thankyou peepz

Was the engine hot at the time, or started from cold?

White smoke from cold is fairly normal; white smoke when hot can be indicative of water getting into the head.

Check the inside of the oil filler cap - is there a substance that resembles dirty mayonnaise?

Hi

Thankyou peepz

Was the engine hot at the time, or started from cold?

White smoke from cold is fairly normal; white smoke when hot can be indicative of water getting into the head.

Check the inside of the oil filler cap - is there a substance that resembles dirty mayonnaise?

It seems to me more like a problem, huge amount of white smoke all time. I've looked down into the filler cap, nothing like mayonaise. Everything is normal on the dash board but only the Battery charger pointer goes up to between 12 and 9 (heard from somewhere it should stays at 9 normally).

A tricky one. You really need to see with an experienced eye...

In cold weather, you do get "steam" which evaporates from the Exh. Jap cars with steel (cooler running) exhuasts get this quite alot. It's normal. However, you can get whitish smoky substance if for any reason water is getting into the cyl's, i.e. a blown head gasket or the like. The car could be harder to start, and may have misfire too...This is normally thicker and heavier, and with it you can sometimes get engine overheating. That's all I know if it helps.

Happened to my 1979 Pug 104 1100 ZS (yes I am that old)...

Normally this also means some oil and c**p goes into the water system too if you're really unlucky. So check the reservoir to see if you can see gunge in there...

Does it evaporate away quickly, or does it linger in the wind?

Also - how many miles have you done and what was the greatest distance driven in one journey so far?

A tricky one. You really need to see with an experienced eye...

In cold weather, you do get "steam" which evaporates from the Exh. Jap cars with steel (cooler running) exhuasts get this quite alot. It's normal. However, you can get whitish smoky substance if for any reason water is getting into the cyl's, i.e. a blown head gasket or the like. The car could be harder to start, and may have misfire too...This is normally thicker and heavier, and with it you can sometimes get engine overheating. That's all I know if it helps.

Happened to my 1979 Pug 104 1100 ZS (yes I am that old)...

Normally this also means some oil and c**p goes into the water system too if you're really unlucky. So check the reservoir to see if you can see gunge in there...

Does it evaporate away quickly, or does it linger in the wind?

Also - how many miles have you done and what was the greatest distance driven in one journey so far?

It doesn't seem normal evaporating kind of smoke, neither it is smoky smell. It goes into air like normal white smoke. I've noticed a few cars out there with huge smoke too (new driver in UK :winky: ), but with my driving experience i don't feel it's right. It was a company car, sold to me at 100k miles without full service history which is my chief concern! Service documents are missin' after 47k :crybaby:

Anyway I've got my pocket ready for taking my car in to Lexus Birmi tomorrow. It'll be good news buds.

It was a company car, sold to me at 100k miles without full service history which is my chief concern! Service documents are missin' after 47k :crybaby:

how can it be sold with full history if it is missing after 47K?? you can check at any lex dealer what service history it has anyway.

It was a company car, sold to me at 100k miles without full service history which is my chief concern! Service documents are missin' after 47k :crybaby:

how can it be sold with full history if it is missing after 47K?? you can check at any lex dealer what service history it has anyway.

Had a data check on that car, yes service was kept up to 47k only. Wondered whether it's been taken care with. Btw, report from Lexus Birmi says due to the cold winter weather white smoke of that kind is normal as oil condenses when it's cool. Now it has put my wallet on alarm the cambelt change is overdue and clutch required to be changed as well as water pump leakin! - quote me 240 quid for cambelt + 420 for waterpump :sick:

sorry to hear that mate, my car car is coming up to the 100k mark, fortunatly ive had the cam belt done however i have a couple of concerns...

1) what are the signs of a leaking water pump? (ie where do i look?)

2) my clutch makes a squeeking noise, is it the clutch cable thats rubbing agaist something or is the clutch on the way out?

White smoke? Oil condensing in cold weather? Normal? - Not likely.

Water condensing, yes.

This makes no sense, and if a dealer has told you the above then I fear there's some bulls**t flying around here :blink:

sorry to hear that mate, my car car is coming up to the 100k mark, fortunatly ive had the cam belt done however i have a couple of concerns...

1) what are the signs of a leaking water pump? (ie where do i look?)

2) my clutch makes a squeeking noise, is it the clutch cable thats rubbing agaist something or is the clutch on the way out?

Look at where you normally park you car, something pinky on the bay. Othwise look into between the engine and radiator where you could find an undertray it is wet always.

Feel where the noise come out from, could be pedal or string i'm not sure.

White smoke? Oil condensing in cold weather? Normal? - Not likely.

Water condensing, yes.

This makes no sense, and if a dealer has told you the above then I fear there's some bulls**t flying around here :blink:

Geezz.. yea water condensing in winter time. Was too busy, works keep piling up on me, making me dizzy :sick: lol

*reminder* - Water & Oil are DIFFERENT