Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Poor Build Quality

After 15 years of driving only Mercs I decided to have a change. Tried the IS250 and was impressed with the engine , drive etc. Well after 3 weeks the bloom has worn off...rattles from doors( the first one started within 3 miles of the showroom) and now the dash as well.

After all the praise and JD power ratings is this a one off or is the baby lexus being built to price..?

Anyone else had the same problems with this model ..

Alan

After 15 years of driving only Mercs I decided to have a change. Tried the IS250 and was impressed with the engine , drive etc. Well after 3 weeks the bloom has worn off...rattles from doors( the first one started within 3 miles of the showroom) and now the dash as well.

After all the praise and JD power ratings is this a one off or is the baby lexus being built to price..?

Anyone else had the same problems with this model ..

Alan

There is a post dealing with rattles from the new IS which has concerned a number of members. I am experiencing rattles from the dash board of my car which is in the process of being sorted out by the dealer. It appears to be affecting early models. I do however have confidence that they will sort it out, as they are rather concerned such quality issues are being reported.

Overall I feel the the quality of the new IS is superb and certainly better than the current Mercs of which my boss owns and has countless problems with it. His next car will be a Lexus.

Lexus build cars to a standard and although a few teething problems can arise with early adopters to brand new models, I believe it is just that, a wee blip.

Just look at the problems Mercs, BMW's and Audis are having with quality issues, and thay aren't just rattles!!!

Return your car to the dealer for them to sort it out, and when they do just enjoy.

Have faith...teething problems they are...

Mine is somewhere in a factory being made at the moment. I complained to the dealer when I ordered it, and was assured that Lexus would be picking the threads from this forum (apparently they look at it all of the time...)...

My reason for doing this was there was no excuse if mine had a problem and Lexus had a chance to fix it whilst on the production line...I was given an assurance all would be well...

Regards quality of other marks...my old 2002/52 Audi was faultless...never had a problem...both trim and mechanicals were perfect right upto 46700 miles...and I would have bought one again if it was not for the fact that the new IS is a better car...and a new A4 was still 18 months away (ish)...

Driven all the major brands in this price league and have to say that the Lexus and Audi are easily the best. I actually found the Merc C Class worst...and the dealers...well it's shameful...long story last year with Evans Merc in Leic (now Inchcape Mecedes of Leicester)when I cancelled my C Class...

Mine is somewhere in a factory being made at the moment. I complained to the dealer when I ordered it, and was assured that Lexus would be picking the threads from this forum (apparently they look at it all of the time...)...

My reason for doing this was there was no excuse if mine had a problem and Lexus had a chance to fix it whilst on the production line...I was given an assurance all would be well...

Regards quality of other marks...my old 2002/52 Audi was faultless...never had a problem...both trim and mechanicals were perfect right upto 46700 miles...and I would have bought one again if it was not for the fact that the new IS is a better car...and a new A4 was still 18 months away (ish)...

Driven all the major brands in this price league and have to say that the Lexus and Audi are easily the best. I actually found the Merc C Class worst...and the dealers...well it's shameful...long story last year with Evans Merc in Leic (now Inchcape Mecedes of Leicester)when I cancelled my C Class...

Just to continue with my never ending story on wind noise from my SE-L. Back to dealership today and technician agrees both front doors have a problem, now believed to be either damaged or incorrectly fitted glass seals/runners. :huh: New ones on order, but I'm out of the country again until end of February so will not know until then if this is the final fix (already had new door seals).

Saw the new Sport in the same colour as mine...didn't look any different except the wider wheels make it look more squat, and of course the trim/ally pedals inside. No 'Sport' identity anywhere or privacy glass like the 200, so difficult to see the difference,

Just to continue with my never ending story on wind noise from my SE-L. Back to dealership today and technician agrees both front doors have a problem, now believed to be either damaged or incorrectly fitted glass seals/runners. :huh: New ones on order, but I'm out of the country again until end of February so will not know until then if this is the final fix (already had new door seals).

Saw the new Sport in the same colour as mine...didn't look any different except the wider wheels make it look more squat, and of course the trim/ally pedals inside. No 'Sport' identity anywhere or privacy glass like the 200, so difficult to see the difference,

Is it me or are all the niggles on the IS associated with the MM equipped cars plus a couple with a specific

seat-belt &/or wind noise issues that,hugely frustrating as it is ,can/will be fixed quickly.Leicester's After Sales Guru is superb ,surely there are others in the Network????

Tel :driving:

Other than buying my first car from Leic, I have no history with them, so I am in their hands so to speak.

I thought the Dash rattle effected both MM and non MM...? Javeed?

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=28773

Even the most desirable cars have call backs, Merc E class (they are stopping the Brake by wire SBC), the A class used to "fall over in bends" quite famously, etc etc, so this is just a rattle...I was quite rattled myself, but I feel a little better knowing that I won't be the only one

PS and Leicester had not had a single one back for rattles until mid Jan...

Hi All

There is a thread which I started when I bought the IS 250 in December. Since then, it has had around 80 replies (many of them agreeing with the same).

The rattle is nothing to do with MM, you can experience it from either the dashboard, or the four doors. Mine started with the right side of the dashboard(now rectified), then it was the left side(rectified).

Just when I thought it was all sorted and perfect, it has now started from the side doors!!!! I took it to the dealer first thing this morning and they hope to get it sorted by the end of the day. The technician said it was to do with some four clips(for the dashboard) which was hanging loosely.

It was a surprise to me because the moment I started explaining, the dealer knew it all!!!! They even said that few cars they sold have come back with the same problem!!!

I dont think Lexus has made any recalls or suggestions based on the reports so far. I am afraid, but I think the rattle will continue and you will have to take it to the dealer to rectify it.

Whilst it is a very good car, I think this particular complaint will damage the car's success in the market.

Javeed

Hi All

There is a thread which I started when I bought the IS 250 in December. Since then, it has had around 80 replies (many of them agreeing with the same).

The rattle is nothing to do with MM, you can experience it from either the dashboard, or the four doors. Mine started with the right side of the dashboard(now rectified), then it was the left side(rectified).

Just when I thought it was all sorted and perfect, it has now started from the side doors!!!! I took it to the dealer first thing this morning and they hope to get it sorted by the end of the day. The technician said it was to do with some four clips(for the dashboard) which was hanging loosely.

It was a surprise to me because the moment I started explaining, the dealer knew it all!!!! They even said that few cars they sold have come back with the same problem!!!

I dont think Lexus has made any recalls or suggestions based on the reports so far. I am afraid, but I think the rattle will continue and you will have to take it to the dealer to rectify it.

Whilst it is a very good car, I think this particular complaint will damage the car's success in the market.

Javeed

Sad but true fact - things go round in circles...

Mercedes had a great rep for Build quality, engineering and all of that. Then they rested on their laurels...and whilst they are amongst the worst performing cars in satisfaction surveys overall, some people still by them...Take the C Class petrol - no one realises that they only make one 1.8 litre engine and call it a 180, 200, 230 etc by just effectively modding it and charging the earth for each step up...and similar for the 4 pot diesels...

I hope the same won't happen to Lexus. I doubt very much it will, as there appears to be a different ethos around customer satisfaction and more importantly customer expectation...but time will tell whether this is a wake up call...

Let's hope hey!

True I have driven Merc for the last 25 years They went through a rough patch with poor build quality. my wif e has a three yer old new Eclass and it is faultless..no rattles or problems at all They have noted customer concerns and seem to have gone back to basics. I suppose that is why I am so surprised at finding a new rattle a day no the IS250 Today speaker vibration !

A few tries with this car then its back to the drawing board

alan

True I have driven Merc for the last 25 years They went through a rough patch with poor build quality. my wif e has a three yer old new Eclass and it is faultless..no rattles or problems at all They have noted customer concerns and seem to have gone back to basics. I suppose that is why I am so surprised at finding a new rattle a day no the IS250 Today speaker vibration !

alan

I'm curious if there are any 220ds with the rattle(s). Mine's completely rattle free and if anything you'd expect the diesel to really exagerate any rattles as I suspect there is more vibration than the 250 as you reach the top revs through the gears.

Anyone got a rattling IS220d ?

alan

I'm curious if there are any 220ds with the rattle(s). Mine's completely rattle free and if anything you'd expect the diesel to really exagerate any rattles as I suspect there is more vibration than the 250 as you reach the top revs through the gears.

who really knows, it might be the problem that was already solved in the factory when your car was built. USA members dont complain about rattles, so it might be something UK car specific that happened on 1st month build...

I think the state of the UK roads has caught Lexus on the hop. My rattle is there when I go over bumps at slow speed. On a nice newly laid piece of tarmac, it's as quiet as a lamb. US roads are generally pothole free so perhaps the problem has always been there but it took us Brits to put the car to the ultimate test.

I'm just thankful that Lexus seem to know where it's coming from - I was going to wait until the first service but it is becoming annoying so will get it sorted soon.

alan

who really knows, it might be the problem that was already solved in the factory when your car was built. USA members dont complain about rattles, so it might be something UK car specific that happened on 1st month build...

True - that's what Leic Lexus believe...so even though some of the cars were delivered in Dec/Jan with rattles they could have manufactured earlier...lets face it they haven't exactly been selling like hot cakes on a cold wintry day...

Hi All

Just a quick update - I have spoken with Lexus Customer relations regarding the ongoing rattle problems. I asked if Lexus have rectified the problem or are they gonna recall the cars? The Manager said that the rattle on its own is not a suffcient reason to recall the cars and no car is perfect!!!! I obviously didnt expect that. Anyway mycar is still with Tunbridge Wells Dealer(This time rattle from the front doors), I hope to collect it by this evening. I have asked the dealer to inspect the whole car...rather than the door...

Javeed

I think the state of the UK roads has caught Lexus on the hop. My rattle is there when I go over bumps at slow speed. On a nice newly laid piece of tarmac, it's as quiet as a lamb. US roads are generally pothole free so perhaps the problem has always been there but it took us Brits to put the car to the ultimate test.

I'm just thankful that Lexus seem to know where it's coming from - I was going to wait until the first service but it is becoming annoying so will get it sorted soon.

You've got to be joking! US roads pothole free! Depends where you are in the US, but even in Houston where the concrete freeways fortunately don't suffer from frost damage (apart from some of the flyovers), the rest of the road system is terrible.....I have a Ford Expedition at the moment, a typical Texas truck, and believe me it gets a regular rattle test.

Welll mine is due a two day stint at Lexus Woodford They seem confident that they can sort the rattles out .I will post when I get it back with a solution( Ihope) Now Both front doors are rattling It rattles over bumps as well . I asked if Lexus were aware of the problems but it would seem as though they have not notified their dealers if they are aware. Other posts on Motoring forums list similalar problems including Honest John who writes the Telegraph motoring column. This cannot be the sort of publicity that Lexus want!

Alan

Hi All

Just heard from Lexus, Tunbridge Wells - Apparently the rattle sound from the doors is nothing to do with the doors, its the chair/seat!!! Now, they are ordering a new chair, again have to come from Japan. So does that mean Lexus will have to replace all cars with rattling sound(from doors) with new chairs?

Guys, I should have kept my IS 200.

Javeed

Yea I had the same problem, took it back and the dealer tightend some stuff and said that somtimes the protective wax on interior pannels causes friction noise when in contact with each other a drop of sun of a gun takes it out.