Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Model Behaviour?

Hi, first post here but wont be the last.

I'm in the process of finding and buying myself a shiny is200 but find myself a little lost. i've read the checks on what to look for but have convinced myself i want dealership warranty so less of a concern.

the problem i have is the complete lack of knowledge on the difference between the models.

as i understand it:

there is the S, SE and sport

all 3 are the same car in respect of handling and performance, its the trim and options that differ them with the SE coming with satnav?

am i miles off the mark?

the reason i ask is should i be looking for more luxury or more sport? and which one has it lol!

i assume they all perform and handle the same? the dealership is a little vague to say the least.

basically, i want an is 200, this i know, what to look for when buying i am confident with.........what model is my hurdle

future plans would be bigger rims and a mildly bigger bum spoiler....ooh...and some of those blue tint headlights some of you guys run :lol:

so what am i looking for?

brethrin....assist me in joining your fold :winky:

Hello & welcome ( i really should be in Bed)

Now i'm a relative newbie myself but i did spend alot of time researching the IS200 before i went an bought an Altezza..... :lol:

It will really depend on the year you go for as well......

All have the same engine - 6 cylinder 153 bhp

All manuals are 6 speed, autos 4 speed

The S is the entry model, no leather, no sunroof, No sat nav, basic 16" alloys, no amp - 6 speakers

The SE is your Executive, electric sunroof, sat nav , leather seats option, better stereo

The sport model is slightly lowered and has standard 17" alloys ( nice), electric sunroof, sat nav option, better stereo, nice sports pedals too, some sports will already have a boot spoiler

It will really depend on the year, milage and any extras, but the S should be the cheapest and the sport the dearest

Personally I'd go for a sport with those lovely half leather seats !

good hunting

But if you want a bit of extra zoom, get an Altezza RS200 ( 210 bhp manual standard, 200 bhp Auto tiptronic ). :D or an IS300 with 211 bhp auto only !

Spec will also be determined by age, and obviously if someone has added options, ie styling pack.

Not all SE's will come with Sat nav, only the last of em as standard, mine is one its on a '05 plate.

Some SE's appear to sit lower that other SE's :huh: but the sport only sits 15mm lower anyway. I have a sneaky suspician some of the later SE's have sport springs, perhaps someone like Matt could put me staright :unsure:

You get a LSD on the sport, so if you feel you need one its something thats not gonna be an easy upgrade on an SE like the tints, scuff plates, boot spoiler etc.

Best just to buy the car thats gonna require the least modding to get the look/features you want IMO

get the sport! but of course im biased :whistling:

Mines a 99 T plate and has got the full maloney, lol

Half leather seats, sat nav, rear boot spoiler etc.

You may aswel just get the one with the most things on if you can afford it, and go for the one that makes you think WOW.

good luck in you search

cheers guys, i was worried i would be asking the same boring questions! budget wise i want to keep under the £11k mark but can go higher if i must.

that link to the spec was very helpful, but the responces have confused me now i've read it.

so, lets say i'm aiming at a 2004/2005 car, with sunroof, satnav and leather - this rules the 'S' out of the picture and leaves me with the SE and SPORT. except for the fact the sport is lower by 15mm its practically identical to the SE?

simpler question i suppose is, rather than choosing between the two should i just get the best spec'ed up version of either? i dont want to get the SE and discover i should of bought the sport or the other way round. like ive mentioned before there are no major mods planned other than rims and a mild styling tweek to individualise it a bit.

or a different question, if the SE and SPORT were sat side by side with identical spec's except for the lower car which is the better buy or the preferable buy? or is there really nothing in it.

after reading the link i would assume that the sport is going to come better spec'd as standard? i would rather get the most for my money rather than spend on upgrades at a later date.

also,whats the LSD martin? is the thing drug fuelled! :hehe:

i'm not bothered about bum spoilers and wheel sizes as thats gunna be an almost immediate mod i make once i buy one so they would be coming off anyway

cheers guys, i was worried i would be asking the same boring questions! budget wise i want to keep under the £11k mark but can go higher if i must.

that link to the spec was very helpful, but the responces have confused me now i've read it.

so, lets say i'm aiming at a 2004/2005 car, with sunroof, satnav and leather - this rules the 'S' out of the picture and leaves me with the SE and SPORT. except for the fact the sport is lower by 15mm its practically identical to the SE?

simpler question i suppose is, rather than choosing between the two should i just get the best spec'ed up version of either? i dont want to get the SE and discover i should of bought the sport or the other way round. like ive mentioned before there are no major mods planned other than rims and a mild styling tweek to individualise it a bit.

or a different question, if the SE and SPORT were sat side by side with identical spec's except for the lower car which is the better buy or the preferable buy? or is there really nothing in it.

after reading the link i would assume that the sport is going to come better spec'd as standard? i would rather get the most for my money rather than spend on upgrades at a later date.

also,whats the LSD martin? is the thing drug fuelled! :hehe:

i'm not bothered about bum spoilers and wheel sizes as thats gunna be an almost immediate mod i make once i buy one so they would be coming off anyway

If you're going to upgrade the spoiler and wheels anyway, I'd go for the SE. The only visible differences (from the outside) are the boot lip spoiler and the tinted back windows.

The SE still comes with your 17" 5 spoke alloys. But if you're gonna replace them I'd think about advertising them as well to get a bit of money back.

And the tinted back windows on the Sport is always something you could get done later on the SE.

You still get the half leather in the SE.

But, each to their own. Best of luck with your choice - you can't really go wrong, it's a Lexus. :winky:

LSD = Limited Slip Differential

Sport will also have the rear privacy glass ........... :D

And welcome ! :winky:

thread hi jack here but could someone explain LSD in dumb person for me.......

ive googled it but its too technical for my simple mind :P

thread hi jack here but could someone explain LSD in dumb person for me.......

ive googled it but its too technical for my simple mind :P

i kinda understand it, as long as its nothing like VW's ESP, switched on the car is dull and ropey, switched off its a normal drive. guessing its a grip or power to the wheels scenario but more than likely wrong - i often am :blink:

If you're going to upgrade the spoiler and wheels anyway, I'd go for the SE. The only visible differences (from the outside) are the boot lip spoiler and the tinted back windows.

The SE still comes with your 17" 5 spoke alloys. But if you're gonna replace them I'd think about advertising them as well to get a bit of money back.

And the tinted back windows on the Sport is always something you could get done later on the SE.

You still get the half leather in the SE.

But, each to their own. Best of luck with your choice - you can't really go wrong, it's a Lexus. :winky:

thats the kind of answer i was aiming for thanks loads. a fear i had was if i bought the sport i would be into body repairs taking the old spoiler off before a new one can go on, to buy a car with none on is the easier and cheaper option so if the sport comes as standard then the se becomes more attractive.

and if it is just a case of identical outside, then i guess i should be aiming at a well spec'ed SE and not the sport ans sell the wheels.

my metality is the problem, usually with cars theres the L version then an LS then a SE then a GTi etc so in my mind i would be buying the one under the level of a GTi. however this doesnt appear to be the case.

:duh: now i just have to pick a colour! i live by the sea - crave for a black car - but would need washing permanently with the amount of sand dust floating around....hhhmmm maybe blue

I always thought LSD was a drug !! :D

by that thinking then, the ESP on VW cars means they can sense stuff and predict the future!

didnt stop them putting the golf+ into production though! :sick:

but they are forgiven with the use of two words..... Bugatti and veron :D

:offtopic: sorry :whistling: A LSD is a mechanical way of gaining traction, most do not have any electronic intervention. TC and ESP are electronic aids

They transmit torque to the wheel with the most grip, so if you exit a corner with your foot planted you're less likely to light up the inside wheel. Not convinced the power of a standard IS warrants a LSD

there is obviously far more technical explinations out there, but unless you're upgrading not much point.

Check out howstuffworks.com

You wont get a '04 or '05 car for £11k mate

get the sport! but of course im biased :whistling:

Mines a 99 T plate and has got the full maloney, lol

Half leather seats, sat nav, rear boot spoiler etc.

You may aswel just get the one with the most things on if you can afford it, and go for the one that makes you think WOW.

good luck in you search

Don't rule out the IS300, it has absolutely everything, including the LSD, privacy glass, lowered suspension, sports pedals, full leather, auto-dimming mirrors, arm rest (only later IS200 had arm rest) and a wonderful 3.0 engine (same as in Toyota Supra I believe) with a 5 speed tiptronic gear box (buttons on the stearing wheel).

^^^good point^^^ sometimes wish I'd bought one

but £11k isn't gonna buy one.........I doubt

You're right, cheapest approved is about £12.5k, but difference between IS200 and 300 is quite narrow now.

^^^good point^^^ sometimes wish I'd bought one

but £11k isn't gonna buy one.........I doubt

You're right, cheapest approved is about £12.5k, but difference between IS200 and 300 is quite narrow now.

I have had to go back to the dealers several times recently...

At Christmas time the showroom was packed and the 2nd hand IS's were gathering dust...

Now it looks as though there flying out...there's always a different Old IS on test...you see is standing there with Trades' on just outside the showroom...so I reckon they're selling again in numbers...

Does that means prices won't drop like they were...?

Anyway, one with Bodykit, smoked glass in Plat Ice or Black with 17" wheels and you're in Business...200 or pref 300...

try not to get stuck on the 11k figure, thats just my preferred price, but for the right car i can go upto 16k without a problem.....just being tight :D

i had a look on the dealer network and they do seem a bit thin on the ground, gunna need to see the plat-ice in the flesh as the mrs has a silver audi and would be nice to have a different colour, sayiing that hers has a pink flip in the paint.

i know i sound lazy but the reason i havent been to a dealership as yet is that the closest one to me will take over 2 hours to get to as i live in a remote part of cornwall and the closest dealership is the other side of plymouth....or pimuff to anyone reading this south of devon :P

so the plan is to arrive with a specific model and colour if possible so all i need to do is climb round one rather than go through all of this at the dealership

i do have some added questions - although if you want to help find me a car thats cool too!

1. the dvd satnav, can this play dvd/tv easily? guessing if so its just a question of adding hardware, if not then i might scratch it off the list making more models available and a wider choice. but if it does then a telly in the car is a telly in the car and will stay on the list

2. when buying is there anything i should be trying to haggle into the deal? different grills, lights, spec etc such as is there something everyone usual adds or something you cant live without? reason i ask is that rather than discount the car they might chuck in a few bits instead and an idea of what i should ask for would be cool

maybe i should have called this thread 'help me buy a car' :blush:

appreciating the feedback though

try not to get stuck on the 11k figure, thats just my preferred price, but for the right car i can go upto 16k without a problem.....just being tight :D

i had a look on the dealer network and they do seem a bit thin on the ground, gunna need to see the plat-ice in the flesh as the mrs has a silver audi and would be nice to have a different colour, sayiing that hers has a pink flip in the paint.

i know i sound lazy but the reason i havent been to a dealership as yet is that the closest one to me will take over 2 hours to get to as i live in a remote part of cornwall and the closest dealership is the other side of plymouth....or pimuff to anyone reading this south of devon :P

so the plan is to arrive with a specific model and colour if possible so all i need to do is climb round one rather than go through all of this at the dealership

i do have some added questions - although if you want to help find me a car thats cool too!

1. the dvd satnav, can this play dvd/tv easily? guessing if so its just a question of adding hardware, if not then i might scratch it off the list making more models available and a wider choice. but if it does then a telly in the car is a telly in the car and will stay on the list

2. when buying is there anything i should be trying to haggle into the deal? different grills, lights, spec etc such as is there something everyone usual adds or something you cant live without? reason i ask is that rather than discount the car they might chuck in a few bits instead and an idea of what i should ask for would be cool

I haven't got a clue about the DVD / Sat Nav stuff, but I'm sure someone will be along to answer that one for ya.

Answer to 2. Check the wheels for possible, or should I say probable corrosion. These cars are well known for it. Because they are machine finished, they have this lovely looking criss-cross pattern on the flat surfaces of the wheels. This is great until you get the smallest of stone chips - the water then gets in underneath the lacquer and follows the criss-cross pattern around the wheel (over time) creating a kind off snail trail which peels the lacquer away. If you spot any off this - challenge them for replacement wheels, or a big enough discount to cover refurbishments costs (approx. £60 per wheel).

Another thing you might want to push for would be a set of Lexus mats as these cost around £70-80

Apart from that I can't really think off much else.......hang on, what about a SUPERCHARGER !!!! :lol:

The DVD Sat Nav is actually very good and worth it if you can get one. Not sure about the telly bit, I do know that some forum members have added the full entertainment monty, DVD, rear screens etc.

If you get the IS300 you're get the HID headlamps which is plenty for the lighting front. You can try for a body kit, sports grille etc but I doubt if they will throw in much on a second hand IS. Maybe first free service. I believe the sports grille is selling very cheaply now so that might be something they throw in.

You can always use the approved car search on the Lexus UK web site and then ask your plymouth dealer if they will get the car down to you - I did this with Lexus Poole when I bought my IS300. Only thing is you might have to pay some sort of fee if you decide you don't like it once you see it in the flesh.

Good luck.

cool ta. the sport grill looks quite nice must say...

another thing bout the satnav, but is relavent to the model choice, is, that having satnav - does this mean its known as a navigator edition? is the navigator something different or just something they label a car with if the satnav is installed? if it is different - in what way

i have tried hunting the forums for some of these answers but i'm still on dialup so the process is slow painful

cool ta. the sport grill looks quite nice must say...

another thing bout the satnav, but is relavent to the model choice, is, that having satnav - does this mean its known as a navigator edition? is the navigator something different or just something they label a car with if the satnav is installed? if it is different - in what way

i have tried hunting the forums for some of these answers but i'm still on dialup so the process is slow painful

Navigator is the Sat Nav system, flip up screen, DVD from 2003 (CD Rom before) I think. Though the early ones had a Remote control that fitted neatly into the console...I think I'm right?

It's well worth it, best of its kind. I gave the CD rom system a test a couple of years when I nearly bought a Lex. Much better than Tomtom Go's or Ipaq's, has a gyro sensor (electronic compass) and speed sensor connected to speedo signal, so even when you lose the signal, the system knows where you are (e.g. in the Tunnels in Birmingham...)...and you only pay a small premium for the system on a 2nd hand car...helps maintain value in future too...may also have traffic jam info (via TMC)...

I'm not sure you can watch DVD's though...not without additional kit? Other's may know more...