Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Wear Question : P-zero

TheGuvnor

Hello all :)

I have got my IS200 Sport in for the 40k service, and they are telling me that I am at the legal limit on my 2 rear tyres. Seeing as I only bought this 10k miles ago from a Lexus dealer, my questions are: -

1) Does the lexus / RAC inspection specify a tyre tread depth limit to pass ?

2) How many miles should you get from a set of Pirelli P-Zero 18" ? (Mainly motorway driving @ 80 ish)

Possibly a stupid question, I know, but I don't know the answer !

Thanks a lot!

Sounds like you are in urgent need of a geometry check.....

Put it this way, I have 2deg -ve camber at my rears and am running P-Zero Rosso 225/450/18 front and rears, new on at around 10K. Soon after I had a geometry check and adjustment.

I now have 15K on the clock and the rears are showing only very minor wear to the inner of the rears, 5mm tread at the rear and 6mm tread on the front.

Check out wheels-in-motion

i had 225/40/18 p-zero's on mine, they didnt last very long at all and were not that grippy so I've gone back to the khumos, i did over 20k on my first set of those. my geo is fine, the doc has checked it and gave a thumbs up!

I have got my IS200 Sport in for the 40k service, and they are telling me that I am at the legal limit on my 2 rear tyres. Seeing as I only bought this 10k miles ago from a Lexus dealer, my questions are: -

2) How many miles should you get from a set of Pirelli P-Zero 18" ? (Mainly motorway driving @ 80 ish)

Thanks a lot!

I bought my lexus IS200 sport new, and on the first service was told that my tyres were totally illegal! Looked fine on a general check as I was not expecting them to be worn out at this stage, but apparently the inside edge of the back ones, which you can hardly see from a general look, were completely bald. I changed them for bridgestones again - it is not the tyres at fault but obviously the way they are wearing out on the car. I have read here about a check, but don't quite know where you get that done or how much it costs. My husband is changing the tyres back to front to at least keep the wear even on the present tyres, but I wonder who does this geo check, is it the main dealer or someone who perhaps knows better. I have been so pleased with my IS but this is obviously a general problem. :excl:

I have had my IS from new and the first set of rears lasted about 18k. Would have lasted longer had there been more air in the tyres - lots of motorway driving and the centre had worn more than the edges.

Up to 25k now, and have even wear though could not tell you whether the second set are lasting any better or worse than the previous pair. Front set still fine. However, if you are worried about uneven wear, make a visit to the good doctor Bones. He comes highly recommended.

Thanks a lot!

No question here is deemed as 'stupid'..... only requests.

1: To pass what?

2: Cannot honestly be answered... to many variables.

History suggests the car is still within the Virgin position that damages so many IS200's ....even more so since the car lives on the Motorway.

Anyone know what I'm going to say next?........... :duh:

You need the Geometry measured....... simple as that!

Any help needed let me know!

History suggests the car is still within the Virgin position that damages so many IS200's ....even more so since the car lives on the Motorway.

:D Thanks for the replies.......when I said "to pass", I was referring to the RAC inspection that is done. I was wondering if there was a minimum depth that the RAC inspector said "Nope, them tyres are rubbish. Rip 'em off and fit new ones, then I will issue a certificate." ;)

Anyway.....latest update......

My 2 rears are worn to the limit in the centre of the tyres, with approx 3mm on the edges. Also, my rear shock is leaking badly, and.......AND......(can you tell I am a bit miffed ? ) my nsf and osr wheels are buckled !! BUCKLED !! How could this happen? I have not kerbed it, and there are no kerb marks on the wheels :crybaby:

Then, to top it all off, they told me that the front brake pads were fitted upside down......grrrrr

I knew I should have bought a mondeo :P

:D Thanks for the replies.......when I said "to pass", I was referring to the RAC inspection that is done. I was wondering if there was a minimum depth that the RAC inspector said "Nope, them tyres are rubbish. Rip 'em off and fit new ones, then I will issue a certificate." ;)

Anyway.....latest update......

My 2 rears are worn to the limit in the centre of the tyres, with approx 3mm on the edges. Also, my rear shock is leaking badly, and.......AND......(can you tell I am a bit miffed ? ) my nsf and osr wheels are buckled !! BUCKLED !! How could this happen? I have not kerbed it, and there are no kerb marks on the wheels :crybaby:

Then, to top it all off, they told me that the front brake pads were fitted upside down......grrrrr

I knew I should have bought a mondeo :P

Mondeo.....?

All cars have skeleton's, wheel offset invites buckles, and we all wear down the pads....

For your information a 3-0-3 is a Motorway pattern of wear and not detrimentle to the car or geometry.

Mondeo.....?

All cars have skeleton's, wheel offset invites buckles, and we all wear down the pads....

For your information a 3-0-3 is a Motorway pattern of wear and not detrimentle to the car or geometry.

heh - it was the first car I could think of :P

Thanks for the info about the tyre wear, at least that explains it a bit more. It wasn't wear on the brake pads, it was that they were upside down !

Ah well.....I was more than a little miffed that it was my first service with a lexus, and all of these things has gone wrong after 6 months......

Thanks again !

Mondeo.....?

Thanks for the info about the tyre wear, at least that explains it a bit more. It wasn't wear on the brake pads, it was that they were upside down !

Ah well.....I was more than a little miffed that it was my first service with a lexus, and all of these things has gone wrong after 6 months......

Thanks again !

Fair play..... if i was an adviser regarding servicing i would say 'get a second opinion' then pay!

Mondeo.....?

Thanks again !

I must say, you complained about the tyres being worn down at your servic e, and said that you 'had only bought the car 10K ago from a lexus dealer...' but surely that does mean that the tyres where definitely BRAND NEW when you bought your second hand car it from the lexus dealer. I bought my IS brand new, and made the comment about the extremely uneven wear, whic is a different issue, but you should not be surprised at having to renew your tyres! wear and tear.... also happens on mondeos.... :duh:

Mondeo.....?

Thanks again !

I must say, you complained about the tyres being worn down at your servic e, and said that you 'had only bought the car 10K ago from a lexus dealer...' but surely that does mean that the tyres where definitely BRAND NEW when you bought your second hand car it from the lexus dealer. I bought my IS brand new, and made the comment about the extremely uneven wear, whic is a different issue, but you should not be surprised at having to renew your tyres! wear and tear.... also happens on mondeos.... :duh:

I wasn't necessarily complaining about the tyres, my question was whether there was a minimum tread depth for it to pass the RAC inspections. If this was the case, and it was, for example, 5mm then I would know that the tyres have worn 3.5 mm in 10k miles.

The mondeo quote was a joke.

Would have lasted longer had there been more air in the tyres - lots of motorway driving and the centre had worn more than the edges.

Generally if tyres are wearing in the center, they have too much air in them, wear at the edges if under inflated.