Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Swirls On Black

chinny

Had the black 250 for almost a month now and washed it twice so far.

After first wash, noticed lots of circular swirls immediately, so for second wash, got megiuars Nxt gel wash, Nxt techwax and Meguairs scratch X. Did the car, looks beautiful, so shiny it reflects the clouds in the sky, but when i parked it back in the garage and under fluorescent light those damned swirls are still there!!

Should've got silver instead?

After first wash, noticed lots of circular swirls immediately, so for second wash, got megiuars Nxt gel wash, Nxt techwax and Meguairs scratch X. Did the car, looks beautiful, so shiny it reflects the clouds in the sky, but when i parked it back in the garage and under fluorescent light those damned swirls are still there!!

Sounds like you need to invest in a Porter Cable Polisher!

Black swirls too easily but is SO easy to touch-up whereas Argento is far more servicable BUT is challenging to repair.Fit a dimmer switch in your garage & you will be happy again!!!

Tel :driving:

If your paintwork is suffering from swirls, try Meguiars Mirror Glaze Hand Polish. This is a very light abrasive which produces a brilliant shine. However, never inspect paintwork under fluorescent light, which is the worse possible light source for showing blemishes. Always judge the finish under natural daylight.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all th reply and the dimmer switch for the garage - suggestion of the century dude!

I have a black volvo too and honestly it never seems to scratch as easy and yes there are some swirls - Anyway, I washed the 250 again today- with a brand new mitt and guess what, it caught a tiny tarry grit off the car and straight away I got a 30cm scratch on the bumper! I did manage to get most of the scratch out with Meguiars Scratch X.

Perhaps I just have to stop being so fussy and look at it up close but really it is heartbreaking to see it not in perfect condition. It looks so beautiful when I first picked it up.

Thanks for all th reply and the dimmer switch for the garage - suggestion of the century dude!

I have a black volvo too and honestly it never seems to scratch as easy and yes there are some swirls - Anyway, I washed the 250 again today- with a brand new mitt and guess what, it caught a tiny tarry grit off the car and straight away I got a 30cm scratch on the bumper! I did manage to get most of the scratch out with Meguiars Scratch X.

Perhaps I just have to stop being so fussy and look at it up close but really it is heartbreaking to see it not in perfect condition. It looks so beautiful when I first picked it up.

I know what you mean mate, I feel worse when I've done something myself, rather than someone else!

i own a 1962 beetle showcar and the show and shine comps demand high gloss shines, so i have a pretty regimented car wash regime

just checking, but you do rinse the car before washing yes? i always run the hose over the car before any cleaning happens, just to remove anything that the mit may collect. if i'm not near a hose i use a watering can. and without being to sad i use a mit for above hip height, a seperate one for below hip height and a different rag altogether for the wheels. make sure the water you use stays clean too. all very much hassle for sure, sad maybe, but effective.

i dont go to that extent with my current car, however if it were black i probably would.

have you tried supagard? this the service audi offer your new paint when you buy a car, costs upto £300, but easily bought off of eBay for considerably less and applied yourself

have you tried supagard? this the service audi offer your new paint when you buy a car, costs upto £300, but easily bought off of eBay for considerably less and applied yourself

What is supagard? keen to try anything. When I called my dealer after the first incident he actually suggest plain water and a good chamois to wipe down. Sounds too easy to me. He said the new paint is also tougher - I haven't called him back yet to say that he is wrong - or Lexus is wrong.

But after the wash last night , I took it out for a drive today and boy does it gleam in the sunlight! Just have to learn not to look too close, might not have that chance anymore, have to give the car back to the wife as school reopens tomorrow. :sad:

have you tried supagard? this the service audi offer your new paint when you buy a car, costs upto £300, but easily bought off of ebay for considerably less and applied yourself

What is supagard? keen to try anything. When I called my dealer after the first incident he actually suggest plain water and a good chamois to wipe down. Sounds too easy to me. He said the new paint is also tougher - I haven't called him back yet to say that he is wrong - or Lexus is wrong.

But after the wash last night , I took it out for a drive today and boy does it gleam in the sunlight! Just have to learn not to look too close, might not have that chance anymore, have to give the car back to the wife as school reopens tomorrow. :sad:

Did not mean to offend you but note you have decided not to look too closely as Black always swirls.Have contacted my mate who runs my local BumW/Ferrari/RRoyce Body Shop to see what he can suggest as there must be many others ,who like you & I ,park under Flourescent lights in a very confined space i.e.garage.

Tel

I didn't think you were supposed to use any polishes in the first few months of buying a new car as the paint needs to "get used to" the elements. :blink:

I'd give it a few months, and then try clay-barring the paint, polishing and waxing.

This might not get rid off ALL the swirls immediately. You may have to try clay-barring a few times. Be prepared to put a few hours aside for this as well - it can be quite a tedious procedure.

I have a Black IS 250 and have had many automatic car washes, but no swirls or scrathes. Lexus doesnt recommend automatic car washes. I am not sure about that(automatic car wash), what do others think?

Javeed

I have bad feelings about auto washes and even fly by street hand car washes. :duh:

Auto washes generally speaking have frayed nylon bristle brushes which hit the paint work quite hard. What's worse however is that the bristles and frays have still got lots of c**p from the previous cars washed, and all of that silt etc is being "sandpapered" or "shot blasted" onto the car.

You only have to look closely at the bristles and note how much darker they look when compared to the parts of the brushes that don't touch the bodywork too often...all that dirt... :sick:

The hand car wash places are trying to get through as many punters as possible, the hand washer is normally paid peanuts and can give you a monkey style wash... :shutit:

The guy with the power washes destroys the side walls of the tyres and the dude with the chamois takes all of the silt still on the sills or places not washed out properly and rubs it all over your shiny new car!! :crying:

The bloke with the Giza sprays probably the most abrasive susbstance known to man onto your alloys... :whistling:

Of course, then you pay them for the previlege!!

So all in all, at average to worst case, it's doom and gloom...that's my humble opinion and experience... :huh:

I reckon you spend a fortune on the car, so get your self a good wash mit, decent shampoo's and polishes etc and go for it yourself...in the long run the effort will be worth it, unless it's a company car... :D

Oh yes - my Lex dealer (and I believe Scott's in Poole) offer free washes...dunno how good they are, or whether others do this, but that might be the best option if you don't have the time or the inclination to want to diy...!? ;)

I have a Black IS 250 and have had many automatic car washes, but no swirls or scrathes. Lexus doesnt recommend automatic car washes. I am not sure about that(automatic car wash), what do others think?

Javeed

I have bad feelings about auto washes and even fly by street hand car washes. :duh:

Austo washes generally speaking have frayed bristle brushes which hit the paint work quite hard. What's worse however is that the bristles and frays have still got lots of c**p from the previous cars washed, and all of that silt etc is being "sandpapered" or "shot blasted" onto the car.

You only have to look closely at the bristles and note how much darker they look when compared to the parts of the brushes that don't touch the bodywork too often...all that dirt... :sick:

The hand car wash places are trying to get through as many punters as possible, the hand washer is normally paid peanuts and can give you a monkey style wash... :shutit:

The guy with the power washes destroys the side walls of the tyres and the dude with the chamois takes all of the silt still on the sills or places not washed out properly and rubs it all over your shiny new car!! :crying:

The bloke with the Giza sprays probably the most abrasive susbstance known to man onto your alloys... :whistling:

Of course, then you pay them for the previlege!!

So all in all, at average to worst case, it's doom and gloom...that's my humble opinion and experience... :huh:

I reckon you spend a fortune on the car, so get your self a good wash mit, decent shampoo's and polishes etc and go for it yourself...in the long run the effeort will be worth it. :D

Oh yes - my Lex dealer (and I believe Scott's in Poole) offer free washes...dunno how good they are, or whther others do this, but that might be the best option if you don't have the time or the inclination to want to diy...!? ;)

:lol::lol:

Ditto Jamboo - that's about all I can say !!

Take pride in yer car and wash it yourself, but just be careful and not slapdash about what you use and how you use it. :winky:

I didn't think you were supposed to use any polishes in the first few months of buying a new car as the paint needs to "get used to" the elements. :blink:

Oh s**t, is this true? At one extreme, you have a fussy freak like me and on the hand we have Mr "balls of steel " Javeed who puts his black lexus through the auto carwash. Wow.

Tel, any word from your car workshop mate about other products?

Oh s**t, is this true? At one extreme, you have a fussy freak like me and on the hand we have Mr "balls of steel " Javeed who puts his black lexus through the auto carwash. Wow.

Tel, any word from your car workshop mate about other products?

Use Meguiars products to minimise or erase the swirls then clean as follows from the roof downwards-----

1.Wet car thoroughly.

2.Shampoo using a softish brush & plenty of shampoo so that the Dirt is brushed into the bristles & brush

parallel to the car's axis.

3.Rinse the brush in a clean bucket of water after every application of shampoo & note how much dirt is deposited in there---change water frequently.

4.Once a section is clean, flush with hose.

5.Leather &

6.Use completely "other kit" to clean wheels etc.I.E. Keep your Body Cleaning System separate.

This Methodology adds 30 minutes to your normal routine but gives two clear benefits------

less dirt accidentally applied during the cleaning process & less damage to the paintwork after each & every wash.

Hope this helps!

Tel :driving:

Oh yes - my Lex dealer (and I believe Scott's in Poole) offer free washes...dunno how good they are, or whether others do this, but that might be the best option if you don't have the time or the inclination to want to diy...!? ;)

Lexus Poole car wash is done by the valeters who prepare the vehicles and wash the cars after the service so you get a good wash. I also know that Lexus Poole used to have a very expensive posh car site next to theirs (owned by the same group). This place had all your ferraris, aston martins, lambos, classics etc and from recall the same valeters washed the Lexus and the posh cars. I think the Lexus dealers are a pretty safe bet for a free car wash.

Have to agree with you Jamboo that the only sure way of knowing that your car has been lovingly treated well during the wash is to do it yourself.

The missus car (pug 807) goes through the auto washes on a regular basis and I hand wash it every now and then and I've never noticed any paint damage from the wash, in fact the paintwork is holding up very well, no stone chips after 15,000 miles.

I do remember the days (showing my age) of taking my current pride and joy (read old bangers) down to the high powered jet wash and blasting holes through the rust on the sills and valences :duh: Glad things have moved on since then :D

It is shinier than ever now, put some Meguiars Nxt wax on it- Meguiars helpline said no problem although my dealer still says plain water and good chamois will do. Still marks like crazy though, just found a few more scratches on the boot lip as someones must have put a boot there to tie their shoe lace or put their shopping on it.

As for the swirls, saw George Bush presidential limo on TV just now - and guess what i saw -

..... swirls !!!!