Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,

I was wondering whether someone could give me some guidance.

I have recently bought a Lexus GS 300 Mk II (3 months ago) and have changed the engine oil (fully synthetic) and gearbox oil (T-IV of course). Yesterday, I thought I'd check my power-steering fluid and brake fluid.

Apparently the steering fuid should look red, but mine has a dirty brown colouring (not good I presume :crybaby: ) I have a bought a couple of pints of Dextron III and aiming to change the fluid.

As for the brake fluid, it is looking not too healthy either. I have bought DOT 5.1 Fluid (Halfords) instead of DOT 4 thinking this may provide better stopping power :unsure:

I have bleed my previous cars brakes ( a Vectra...don't laugh) which involved bleeding each valve diagonally starting from the right rear wheel. Would it be the same for a Lexus???

So I was wondering whether someone could let me know as to how to bleed the brakes and power steering.

Any tips greatly appreciated :D

Hi,

POWERSTEERING OIL CHANGE

(PS= Powersteering)

Like you say the fluid should be Red in colour....The way ive changed PS fluid on cars is to jack the car up,have a oil drain catch tray,undo one of the PS pipes that come from the PS pump and drain it out or a pipe the goes to the steering ram....let all the fluid out,put the pipe back on and tighten up......Now top up the PS reservoir where the oil level check is when you take the top off...

Refill with new clean fluid until on MAX level...

Start the engine up and turn the steering to max left and right 2 or 3 times...from lock to lock.....that will get rid of any Air locks in the system....Now recheck the PS reservoir for the PS oil level and top up if you have to....

BRAKE FLUID CHANGE

The higher dot number should mean the fluid will not boil so quick..still boil but at a higher temp.

Same sort of idea as the PS fluid change,catch pan etc....id use a piece of plastic pipe the same sort of size as the brake bleed nipple and put the pipe on the nipple so when you bleed/pump the brake fluid oil it will go in your catch tray rather than on the tyre, :excl: the brake fluid can/will damage the rubber of the tyre and make it dangerous..

I think from memory you should bleed the furthest wheel from the master cylinder first then in turn to the closest...

Take note of the colour of the old fluid as it pumps out and when you see clear fluid,that should be the new fresh fluid...Just bleed/pump out one wheel at a time in order as above...

:excl::excl: You will need to Keep a Very close EYE on the Mastercylinder level or you will be pulling air into the system rather than fluid :winky: (been there done that :D )

If you find after fully bleeding with new brake fluid that the Brake pedal is soft...Lock/Jam a stick or something so the brake pedal is down putting pressure in the system....leave like that overnight and that should get any air out of the system...you should find the stick will be lying on the floor in the morning as it loses pressure overnight....

Hope thats of some help Fella....

Good Luck

Chips..

a litle tip for changeing brake fluid, although you could do the same with the PAS. Get a plastic syringe and pull out most of the fluid with it. Refill with new fluid ( this should always be kept in an air tight container as it absorbs moisture from the air ) , then attach your bleed tube to a caliper and let it drain if it will. The reason for this is, as you bleed the brakes the piston in the master cylinder will travel further along the bore and this can lead to seal damage on old cylinders.