Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all!

Thanks to all for providing such a detailed forum! I finally managed to buy my dads GS300 from him (Im thirty - still sound excited as a kid though! :D ) Anyhow, its a 1994 UK car, 122k ,full history, two tone, new Continental tyres all round etc etc! I thought it was a bargain for £1500? Only thing is the needles flicker a little (although following advice on here I've turned the illumination down and they dont flicker now!) and a bulb in the cluster needs doing.

But now, help is needed....... I live in Brighton and work in Worthing, and on my way home tonight :driving: I got flashed by a speed camera. You know how these things happen, first flash - look in mirror, see second flash, look at speedo, and I wasnt speeding! It was a thirty zone (just by a nationwide auto centre - Does anyone know if these cameras have problems??), I knew the cameras were there and have seen this one go off about 6 or 7 times in the last 3 months, so my speed was pretty much bang on 30. I dont think it can be the speedo calibration as I've been past other cameras at the same speed without hindrance. So no Im quite :tsktsk: .

So, firstly, does anyone know if these cameras do/dont have film in? Im going to contest if I do get a letter/fine/points, so what questions should I ask, put forward in my arguement? Advise please, I'm not going to give in easily!

Thanks all!

Jon :backofnet:

I wouldn't panic just yet. The majority of Gatsos don't have film in. Also car speedos overread (or should do), so if yours said 30mph, then you were probably doing up to 10% less than that.

There was a case recently were a tractor was "clocked" doing 80 mph. That was thrown out of court for obvious reasons. So Gatsos can lie.

Hopefully you will hear nothing more.

No doubt the resident expert(s) in police matters will be along soon to advise you better.

IanB :D

I wouldn't panic just yet. The majority of Gatsos don't have film in. Also car speedos overread (or should do), so if yours said 30mph, then you were probably doing up to 10% less than that.

There was a case recently were a tractor was "clocked" doing 80 mph. That was thrown out of court for obvious reasons. So Gatsos can lie.

Hopefully you will hear nothing more.

No doubt the resident expert(s) in police matters will be along soon to advise you better.

As IanB says if your GS is like mine the speedo reads a higher MPH than you are travelling.

I have verified this with my Satnav software I use on my handheld PC.

Also if you were not exceeding the 30 mph limit this should be verified by the distance travelled along the road markings in the picture between the flashes.

Just my opinion.

Thanks to all so far! Yes my "needle" was just over the 30 I think, I might have been doing 31, but thats about it, I've never had any problems before :whistling:

Thanks to eXOBeX as well, that site has got all the information I need should it go further.

I had heard that they swap the films around in cameras, so not all of them are full, I've just got my fingered crossed, I'd hate to get 3 points for 31/32mph, it just wouldnt seem justified!

Still loving the GS300 (series 1 I guess), smoothest car I've owned, although the fuel bills I think will double, but a small price to pay :P

Thanks for all your advice to date! :driving:

Jon

if you do get a ticket make sure you request a copy of the 2 photos so you can check for yourself if you were speeding. Many "safety" camera partnerships don't check the photos and just issue the NIP and most people just pay up.

LexusJohn I thought road angel is based upon a national data base of positioned camera's?I have road angel 2 in mine.

If it goes off does that mean that it is armed or just based upon its position when it downloads updates off the net?

I know it can pick up handheld speed guns etc.

Some cameras flash but do not contain the camera, a road angel can detect weather a camera is present in the unit, mine sometimes makes no noise whilst going past a camera that means nothing in it. :blush:

Hmm. I'm surprised to hear this. If the Road Angel can do this, then surely that means it can detect a camera, rather than a radar device, since that's really all a Gatso is. That's really sophisticated :blink:

I stand to be coreected though if I'm wrong.................

As I said my road angel 2, gives me warning of "active" cameras as well as the locations, mine is not special, some cameras give no warnings eg: traffic light cams, this means no active camer inside, however this is not a licence to speed through it.... B)