Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Automatic Lights On The Is200

Ive just got a V reg IS200 Sport and i have had a quick read of the manual but doesnt explain the automatic lights properly. im unsure if they are faulty or not because If i go out now in the car the lights are off until i go under the bridge at the a couple of streets away from home the lights come on but then never turn off for the rest of the journey. However if i shine a torch on the sensor on the dash they turn off. does it have to be a really bright day for them to turn off, is there some sort of sensitivity setting?

Ive just got a V reg IS200 Sport and i have had a quick read of the manual but doesnt explain the automatic lights properly. im unsure if they are faulty or not because If i go out now in the car the lights are off until i go under the bridge at the a couple of streets away from home the lights come on but then never turn off for the rest of the journey. However if i shine a torch on the sensor on the dash they turn off. does it have to be a really bright day for them to turn off, is there some sort of sensitivity setting?

Mine do the same. Once they come on they stay on untill you turn off the ignition and open the door.

On these cloud covered days, this is only out of experience... i have noticed, that the lights dont come on till it goes dark... then they dont switch off till its bright again....

I think the settings for Auto are on a scale like this>>>

AUTO LIGHTS

OFF / SUNNY DAY ..............................<>.........ON / DARKNESS

(when the light level drops below this ^ they turn on)

OFF / SUNNY DAY ........<>...............................ON / DARKNESS

(when the sensors see ^ this much light, they turn the lights off)

My explanation is crap... but i'm sure someone will make use of it... sorry :tomato:

On these cloud covered days, this is only out of experience... i have noticed, that the lights dont come on till it goes dark... then they dont switch off till its bright again....

I think the settings for Auto are on a scale like this>>>

AUTO LIGHTS

OFF / SUNNY DAY ..............................<>.........ON / DARKNESS

(when the light level drops below this ^ they turn on)

OFF / SUNNY DAY ........<>...............................ON / DARKNESS

(when the sensors see ^ this much light, they turn the lights off)

My explanation is crap... but i'm sure someone will make use of it... sorry :tomato:

I think that is a good enough sort of explanation Niraj old lad,

It is a bugger that i have to keep switching to manual mode in this weather. I would have thought it may have been on an intelligent circuit or perhaps taking into account BST and BWT??

Has the is250 changed or is it the same?

All i ever see is volvos with their lights on even in decent daylight conditions, now that is a poop auto system.

It is a bugger that i have to keep switching to manual mode in this weather. I would have thought it may have been on an intelligent circuit or perhaps taking into account BST and BWT??

Has the is250 changed or is it the same?

All i ever see is volvos with their lights on even in decent daylight conditions, now that is a poop auto system.

isn't the Volvo an always on system?

i love the auto light setting.

isn't the Volvo an always on system?

i love the auto light setting.

Yep I think Volvo's have a settting where they're on all the time :yawn:

However, with the Lex, there is a certain amount of adjustability (only with a dealer tho) but having said that they seem to turn on when there is a low level of light

At first I was concerned that they came on when there was still too much light about, but after a few months, you barely notice that they've come on so early, and are more pleased with the fact that you never need to touch the light switch :winky:

The auto lights are a legal requirement for the US market only.

yep, thats DRL (daytime running lights) which is a different system to auto lights, the loom is in all cars to work DRL but the relays are missing, on the US cars it works on the high beam bulbs

you can have the level they turn on at, adjusted I think? Didn't realise they never turned themselves off though until you turned car off.

Bit naff really!! But then I never use auto feature on mine, so guess thats why I haven't noticed it!

My auto lights work perfectly, they come on when it's very dull or I go under a tunnel, and will turn off again as soon as it brightens up or I leave the tunnel.

When I purchased the car the dealer told me that if I wasn't happy with the sensitivity of the auto lights, take it back and they would adjust it for me using their plug in computer thingy.