Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I Wish I Never Bought A Lexus

Lex-aholic

I have been thinking about what car I can purchase next, but seem to have a problem :

The car I have (an IS200, 51 plate) doesn't seem to have any faults !! :blink: I've had it for approx 1 year and 1 month, and will be thinking about trading it in late this year, but can't seem to find anything that I want to trade it in for cuz the Lexus has made me too fussy.

I was looking into buying an Audi TT, but have heard too many complaints about things like dashpods going kaputt (which then cost £800 to have replaced). :o

I then considered a Mazda RX-8 (thought if I stay Japanese, it can't go wrong). But boy do they drink fuel - on average you get about 22-24mpg's out of the little (but amazing) 1.3 litre engine. :blink: They ALSO have corrosion problems with their wheels, funny enough. Plus they can get leakage problems. Apart from that, the drive is supposed to be amazing.

I just want something that little bit different for about £15000 max, but can't seem to find anything that compares to my Lexus.

Even the bloody insurance on my Lexus is cheap compared to other cars !! :D :duh:

I have been thinking about what car I can purchase next, but seem to have a problem :

The car I have (an IS200, 51 plate) doesn't seem to have any faults !! :blink: I've had it for approx 1 year and 1 month, and will be thinking about trading it in late this year, but can't seem to find anything that I want to trade it in for cuz the Lexus has made me too fussy.

I was looking into buying an Audi TT, but have heard too many complaints about things like dashpods going kaputt (which then cost £800 to have replaced). :o

I then considered a Mazda RX-8 (thought if I stay Japanese, it can't go wrong). But boy do they drink fuel - on average you get about 22-24mpg's out of the little (but amazing) 1.3 litre engine. :blink: They ALSO have corrosion problems with their wheels, funny enough. Plus they can get leakage problems. Apart from that, the drive is supposed to be amazing.

I just want something that little bit different for about £15000 max, but can't seem to find anything that compares to my Lexus.

Even the bloody insurance on my Lexus is cheap compared to other cars !! :D :duh:

Looks like another Lexus then! :D

Can get a nice LS 430 for £15K......

But, why change? Unless for an IS 300? Perhaps you should go Supercharged, etc and have a more unique one?

I can't see what else I'd want myself either! Looked at Subaru Forester XTi, but....any better ride than LS? Doubt it.

Faster? No.

So.....?

Relax into it. Forget the constant need to 'buy new'! Wrap it around you like a familiar sweater and enjoy (and not around a lamp-post!)

:lol:

I think you're right Chris. It really is hard work to find something that falls into the same category as the Lexus.

I hate to sound snobby with all this - but it really is in a class of it's own. :D

Oh, and before anybody suggests it (which would be a good suggestion), I haven't got either the money or the garage space for the new IS. The IS I've got now only just fits in the garage !

Even the bloody owners club is the best I've seen !!

:lol:

I think you're right Chris. It really is hard work to find something that falls into the same category as the Lexus.

I hate to sound snobby with all this - but it really is in a class of it's own. :D

Oh, and before anybody suggests it (which would be a good suggestion), I haven't got either the money or the garage space for the new IS. The IS I've got now only just fits in the garage !

Even the bloody owners club is the best I've seen !!

Hi Mate having same dilema my self. thinking of audi A3 2.0t FSI Quattro S line Spec Edition!!! But its proving to be a pain even asking for it the name is that long! Also equipment wise no one can touch Lexus! Just dont know what to do might feel different when had the Geometry sorted! .... If not she's a gonna! :blink:

Hi Mate having same dilema my self. thinking of audi A3 2.0t FSI Quattro S line Spec Edition!!! But its proving to be a pain even asking for it the name is that long! Also equipment wise no one can touch Lexus! Just dont know what to do might feel different when had the Geometry sorted! .... If not she's a gonna! :blink:

Good to know I'm not alone :D

Have you been on an Audi owners club site ? This is the sort of thing I've done to try and discover the good and bad points about these cars. I'm now a member of the TT owners club, and the RX-8 owners club !! :D People must think I'm mega-rich :lol::lol:

Why couldn't Audi think up a shorter name than that ? :duh:

I had been looking at getting rid as its getting on a bit, but only the 330d sport took my fancy.

As it is I could not find anything I wanted, so I have just put an ageless plate on it, maybe until next year when I can get a 12month old IS220D

Sounds like you want something that goes like stink but still have a level or comfort and refinement similar to the IS200. I know they arent new cars but how about...

Celica Gen 6 ST205? Leather is optional (255bhp Stock for Imports)

UK Spec Supra TT? all come with leather! (326BHP vs imports 280bhp)

Aristo v300? 280bhp and otherwise same as GS300

You'd have a lot of change left over from one of these!

Have you guys thought about the MAZDA 6 MPS when its launched in the next month or so

Ya it's nice alright, saw it at the Frankfurt show, twin exhausts look the business.........but it looks too much like a special edition 6, whereas the new is250 was a completely new car and really stood out, actually it was the only reason i went to the show......loved to steering wheel joystick.......sweet :wub:

Just as a matter of interest how much does the IS250 retail in Britain,

In Germany according to the nice sales girl it would start at €28,000 euro,( approx £19,300 sterling)

Here in car tax mad Ireland they start at €45,000 euro,( approx £30,000 sterling)....

That comment about garage space is my concern as well.

My next car must be less or equal to :

L - 4525 (which eliminates the IS250)

W - 1770 (which eliminates the IS250)

H - 1460

I'm hoping the BS rumours are correct otherwise it's possibly Honda Civic EX for me :o

Have you guys thought about the MAZDA 6 MPS when its launched in the next month or so

Mazda6MPS_front.jpg

Maz6MPS_techspec.gif

Very nice car - but it's more than likely out of my £15000 budget.

Thanks for all the replies BTW. It looks like we're all stuck in Lexusland !! :lol: (not that it's a bad place to be)

Leeky, I have thought about Jap imports as one place by us had a Honda Integra Type-R (the new shape) the other day. Looks quite meaty and was priced at about £18 so this'll be out of my league at the mo. Not sure on the situation with imports either, as to what's the difference between Jap Imports and "normal" and do I need to do anything to make it road legal ?

Shame on you! Allowing a Mazda on this site! :tomato::tomato: (Anyway, it's probably too big for your shoebox garage as is mine for my LS400. I have to rent elsewhere!) I'm lucky that I have use of a warehouse in town for 24 hour parking -until they develop the site!!) Great for night-time. No broken window fears on the street!

Style-wise, it looks to me as if the new generation of cars are getting to look similar (again!). Getting (what I think of as) a 60s-ish Pontiac nose treatment...raised pointy feature in centre,,,,plus haunchy sides. Anyone notice/agree?

Not sure on the situation with imports either, as to what's the difference between Jap Imports and "normal" and do I need to do anything to make it road legal ?

If an import is already over here and has been registered so has a number plate then you dont have to do anything other than tell your insurance company that the cars an import. This should make little or no difference to your premium.

If you are importing a vehicle fresh, like for example a brand new Integra Type R then best thing to do is get a company to do it for you.

Then onces its over here the company will probably do all the paperwork etc for you.

I have imported myself and the process was very very easy. I got a 95 Supra and simply got it MOT'd (only needed to fit a fog light for the mot) and then i could register it for a numberplate. That was it! - was ready for the road. If a car is under 10years old then it needs an SVA or ESVA test to make sure its ok for these roads.

Much easier than most people think :winky:

Not sure on the situation with imports either, as to what's the difference between Jap Imports and "normal" and do I need to do anything to make it road legal ?

If an import is already over here and has been registered so has a number plate then you dont have to do anything other than tell your insurance company that the cars an import. This should make little or no difference to your premium.

If you are importing a vehicle fresh, like for example a brand new Integra Type R then best thing to do is get a company to do it for you.

Then onces its over here the company will probably do all the paperwork etc for you.

I have imported myself and the process was very very easy. I got a 95 Supra and simply got it MOT'd (only needed to fit a fog light for the mot) and then i could register it for a numberplate. That was it! - was ready for the road. If a car is under 10years old then it needs an SVA or ESVA test to make sure its ok for these roads.

Much easier than most people think :winky:

Thanks for the info leeky. It looks like a Honda Integra Type-R could be a future possibility. Now all I have to do is look for more info on this car. :winky:

Style-wise, it looks to me as if the new generation of cars are getting to look similar (again!). Getting (what I think of as) a 60s-ish Pontiac nose treatment...raised pointy feature in centre,,,,plus haunchy sides. Anyone notice/agree?

Similar yes, but not sure about the Pontiac look. They were much more pointy at the front than any modern cars could ever be.

Saw several 60's Pontiacs at an outdoor car meet during a recent holiday to the USA. Fantastic looking cars in the flesh in think, particularly when polished and under the California sunshine. B)

IanB :D

Similar yes, but not sure about the Pontiac look. They were much more pointy at the front than any modern cars could ever be.

Saw several 60's Pontiacs at an outdoor car meet during a recent holiday to the USA. Fantastic looking cars in the flesh in think, particularly when polished and under the California sunshine.

IanB :D

Doesn't everything look good under the Californian sushine ? :D

Are Boxters down to 15k yet?

There's a Y plate on Fleabay for just over 15k - seems a bit odd though as there are w and x reg's on there for 17k plus.

Only prob for me is that they're 2.7 litre which considering the fact that I only live 2 1/2 miles from work is pretty pointless.

The insurance is pretty good though, it's about the same as an Audi TT.

There's a Y plate on Fleabay for just over 15k - seems a bit odd though as there are w and x reg's on there for 17k plus.

Only prob for me is that they're 2.7 litre which considering the fact that I only live 2 1/2 miles from work is pretty pointless.

Well, it's a Lambretta plus hiring a car when needed, then? B) :whistling:

Well, it's a Lambretta plus hiring a car when needed, then? B) :whistling:

There's no way I could look out at that Porsche every day, knowing that I'll be going to work on a Lambretta !! :winky: