Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx Price Drop

New models always going to hurt the old one.. time will tell how far they fall. sob sob...

Also, went onto Glass's guide (normally accurate) and for a say 30k miles '04 SE it says trade in is £20,250 for average...and £23,000 for above average...

So counds like a good deal being offered..normally they retail well above trade in prices.

Shame really as I was thinking of an upgrade to either the 350 or 400h but since my cars only done 4k - would be too much of a delta to change since I paid just over 38k with all the extras!!

Going in this weekend to trade my 53 RX300SE (12K miles) in for an '06 SC430 so hope I get a decent price.

Shame really as I was thinking of an upgrade to either the 350 or 400h but since my cars only done 4k - would be too much of a delta to change since I paid just over 38k with all the extras!!

I would like eventually like to do the same type of upgrade, BUT, if the RX300 looses tooooo much I'll maybe downsize. Getting fed up with the depreciation losses on all cars and thinking that best way to limit it will be to buy a cheaper car :(

I would like eventually like to do the same type of upgrade, BUT, if the RX300 looses tooooo much I'll maybe downsize. Getting fed up with the depreciation losses on all cars and thinking that best way to limit it will be to buy a cheaper car :(

you might be right fergy - I love the RX but would like to change every 2 years but if they ain't going to hold their price - might just keep and sell the other car (not for a Lexus!)

I should have know as my 2 year old IS300 sportcross got 55% of what it cost new when I traded it in :crybaby:

I'm planning on keeping mine just short of 3 years...and will see what takes my fancy about that time.

Some of the new generation of hot hatches look fun, Golf Gti etc...and starting off at about £20k before extras does mean they are well cheaper than a RX300... Only issue is the usual cost of spec'ing them the way I want means a £20k car becomes a £25k car...and that means a instant £5k loss....decisions, decisions....

Might go the other way, always fancied a Porsche 911, maybe in a couple of years I can get a 5year old one that has taken a whack in depreciation...might work out cheaper than a buying new car and suffering the initial depreciation. Private plate on it and 95% of population will not know if it is new or 5 years old.

you might be right fergy - I love the RX but would like to change every 2 years but if they ain't going to hold their price - might just keep and sell the other car (not for a Lexus!)

I should have know as my 2 year old IS300 sportcross got 55% of what it cost new when I traded it in :crybaby:

If you're changing cars after short ownership periods, are there not some companies out there that can offer 12 month leasing contracts? Would be interesting to know how these costs would compare to the impact of depreciation. If you are paying £5k a year in depreciation anyway, then perhaps £5k a year on leasing costs with the bonus of a new model every year might be better?

I did think about such scheme but hope that eventyally I'll kick the bug of wanting a new car every 2 minutes....and will just keep one for ages so that the depreciation will not be as much per year.

Will maybe look into that again when I want a replacement..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Might go the other way, always fancied a Porsche 911, maybe in a couple of years I can get a 5year old one that has taken a whack in depreciation...might work out cheaper than a buying new car and suffering the initial depreciation. Private plate on it and 95% of population will not know if it is new or 5 years old.

Saw a 911 which was coming up to 6 years old at the weekend. £36k and only 19k miles. Was unamrked inside and out, very tempting but if I sell the RX where do my two girls go, not to mention our luggage including buggies etc? Oh well, will have to carry on dreaming until can afford the RX and the 911!

br

D

I also would like a 911 as my next car...probably aiming at a 4-5 year old 996 in a couple of years, might get luicky and get a 997. Wife has a company car (normally an estate) so I can get something fun without worry tooo much about the practicality. Just have to wait till my son is a bit older so he can himself in/out the car himself.

Think only way round the horrendous depreciation is to spend the £35k-£40 or so I plan to spend on a older car...which hopefully will not drop as much year on year. It will cost more in repairs / maintainence but think a 911 would be worth it.

Funny, but the low depreciation is what attracted me to Lexus, I pick up my Rx400h at the weekend.

Just to put some figures in perspective, contrast my three current cars:

1993 Honda CRX VTi [Electric Roof] - cost new £18500, current value £3500 [as estimated from www.delsoluk.com]

2003 Honda CRV Se Sport Sat Nav - cost new £20500, current value £12000 to trade [priced by Honda Dealer]

2003 Renault Espace 3.0dCi Initiale - cost new £33500, current value £12000 to trade [as p/ex to Lexus Rx400h] OUCH!

Badly burned by Renault, had many faults - just had new engine management system fitted under warranty, be glad to get rid.

Got the RX400h SE-L on PCP, MGFV is £18116 - is it too optimistic to hope for more in three years??

Bladgb, penniless but happy!

as a side note, if anyone is looking for a good 996 C2, freind of mine has moved to Norway and has a 2000 model with 38k on the clock sitting in his garage which he needs to get rid of. full porsche service history, 18" turbo alloys and (estimated) 4k private plate on it 1 number & 3 letters.

I think he'd let it go for £28k as he's no requirement for it in Norway

if interested sdempster1@marathonoil.com

Sounds good...just tooo early for me :( ..probably end up looking for something similar is a couple of years...

out of interest what are the 3 letter on the private plate ?

Tell him to try advertising on www.porschaforum.co.uk and www.pistonheads.co.uk normally a good Porsche following there.