Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Red Diesel

kam05

Hi,

I hope I have posted this topic in the right section, however if it isn't then please can a moderator move it to the right place. I have been on this forum for a year now, and there seem to be some very knowledgeable people on here so I thought I'd ask here.

My sister is looking to replace her ageing Vauxhall Astra. She has seen a VW Golf TDi on sale at a garage, it is perfect for her, (ie: right price, spec etc), but the garage where the car is for sale at has told her that the previous owner has ran the car on red diesel. I know that red diesel is not for public use. This throws up various different questions, such as can a MOT test detect that red diesel has been used? If my sister bought this car and Customs & Exise/Plod do a dip test would traces of red diesel be detected? What would be the legal implications of this? Would my sister be liable to prosecution due to use of red diesel which was used by the previous owner of the vehicle?

I've told my sister not to touch this car with a barge pole, due to the fact its been run on red diesel, but she still seems keen on the deal.

Please advise.

Thanks

The dye in red diesel stays in your tank for a very long time, which might leave your sister open to difficulty in the future. Customs and Excise can detect very minute traces of it, I believe, even if the red colour has dissipated.

If you are dead set on this car, the best thing to do is to contact Customs and Excise, and ask them. There may be some way they can draw a line at this time, absolving your sister of any liablity in the future, but I don't know for sure.

As you say, if in doubt walk away.

IanB :D

Question is...where was the previous owner driving the car, If he had illegal fuel in it ? I get the garage to flush the fuel tank and change the exhaust.

But wouldn't traces of red diesel be in the fuel lines, engine, filters etc????

dont worry about it, the tests are done on pumped fuel.

if no red diesel is pumped out of the injector on test they dont proceed further.

they would have to have pre-concerns to even ask to check.

we have .....cough cough.....tons of red diesel, and no one has ever been caught using it.(not that i do of course!)

our Petrol used to be dyed red aswell.

if no red diesel is pumped out of the injector on test they dont proceed further.

we have .....cough cough.....tons of red diesel, and no one has ever been caught using it.(not that i do of course!)

Red petrol? Not come across that before. Was it done for the same tax reason as red diesel?

Red petrol? Not come across that before. Was it done for the same tax reason as red diesel?

Was a military thing, to make sure no one was Nicking it....we used to have many Petrol powered Vehicles, which have now all been de-commissioned, and everything is Diesel,

Edited by Monster-Mat

don,t worry about getting caught, if customs do a spot check they take it out of the tank by suction.

At first it is only a visual check to see if it looks red, then they can check exhaust pipe at rear, some sort of

paper they put in exhaust to check on acidity, red has more in it due to the dye.. after a couple of fill ups it will be ok, I know this with working in the fuel industry,,,, ;)

i have a witnessed a few red deisel testers on the roads over the last few years in Ireland. They are pretty technical and take their job very seriously which should mean that they can trace part per million/billion and verify that the car must have gone through at least x amount of fuel/miles since it last had red deisel in the tank. This should get your sister off the hook if caught unless of course the car is being sold to her with red deisel in the tank.

• 7 years later...

Hi guys, just want to ask anyone who knows what implications has for the car, filters, engine, exhaust and so on, the use of red diesel?? I wanna buy a is220d and swiped tail pipe exhaust with two fingers and....u should see the wet muddy black stuff left on my fingers!! He(seller) then admitted on using red diesel kind of..all the time!! It is worth it to buy the car, its big or small deal ?? Please help. Never had diesel car b4. Im totally in the woods.

Ty

Red diesel won't cause any damage to the fuel system and I would follow the advice given previously in this thread i.e obviously once purchased used only DERV not agriculural red, hang onto all your fuel receipts and perhaps keep a copy of your logbook (V5C in UK) on you to prove the purchase date if you get pulled over for a tank dip.

The more road diesel you fill up with the quicker the red will dilute.