Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

St Austell / Eden Project

Robin H

Feb the 14th's comin soon, so we all know what that means :wub:

so Gemma and myself are thinking of taking a trip to St Austell for the weekend (17th-19th)

for a few nights out, trip to the Eden project, shopping ect ect

was wondering if any of you have been? and/or could recommend any good hotels to stay in

also any good bars/clubs worth paying a visit to

Thanks

Feb the 14th's comin soon, so we all know what that means :wub:

so Gemma and myself are thinking of taking a trip to St Austell for the weekend (17th-19th)

for a few nights out, trip to the Eden project, shopping ect ect

was wondering if any of you have been? and/or could recommend any good hotels to stay in

also any good bars/clubs worth paying a visit to

Thanks

Well, as I'm a cornish boy, I can tell you a lot about this place. ;)

As a young engineer back in '98/'99, I was involved with the original preliminary setting-out of the place. Bulk earthworks, drainage, the visitors center, biodomes etc etc, even when the pit was still being used by the china clays company.

I can tell you where the mineshafts, wells, drainage channels are :whistling:

Seriously though, I went there 2 years back to see how it turned out. Intresting place.

As for places to stay, Carlyon bay is really the only place to stay in St Austell.

Although to be honest, I wouldn't stay there ;)

Much better off in Truro (where i'm from, only moved from there to London in the search of money 3 years ago), Newquay or Falmouth. Newquay and Falmouth have a greater choice of hotels, but Truro is the "nicer" place to stay, Newquay can get a bit rough at night, although this time of year it isn't too bad. I'd avoid the place like the plague in the summer though.

Feel free to ask any questions :) Spent 23 years of my life growing up there :D

The Eden Project is well worth a visit. I am personally not a huge fan of gardens and the like but this is much more than a garden and the experience of the different biodomes is fascinating. It is at least a good half day experience. The place is huge and the video of how they built it all is fascinating. Thankfully there are shuttle buses to get you back to the car park (I lost count of how many car parks there are - so remember your location!).

We went there while on holiday in Devon but stayed overnight in Polperro, a lovely little typical Cornish village with a harbour about 10 miles east of St Austell. You can only go into the village with your car to drop things off because the streets are so narrow. You park up in the Public car park at the entrance to the village.

There are several restaurants and pubs and we stayed in a good quality B&B that was above its own restaurant. the food was great too and no driving home. I can't remember what it was called but it was a white building and half way down on the right hand side!

Hope you have a great time.

Thanks for the replies peeps

will look into the places that Nick The Greek has suggested :D

not been down that way since I was a boy, so nice to get a ruff idea of what there is to do

we need a bit of night life so we can go out for a few beers and a dance one night

and I think there will have to be some shopping to

just noticed that posted this in the wrong place :blush: could it be moved to the lounge please