Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Citroen Saxo

Bazza

:blush:

anyone know what the saxo is actually like

what faults to look out for

etc etc etc

i know they have a bad name amongst almost every other car club, but they also seem to have sold a lot of them, so there must be something right about them

but if say i was looking for an unmodified one, what should i look out for ??

needs to be a 1.0 litre ! :blush:

do you think it would be a good replacement for the lexus ? :lol:

truth is, my daughter says she likes the look of them, and knowing what women are like thats about all that concerns them !

the big 17th looms next month :ohmy:

at 17 she doesnt get a lot of choice, due to insurance etc

any advice or help welcome

looking around the £1000 mark

:) :blush:

A couple of girls who I used to work with had a Saxo. One had the VTS, the other had the VTR. They didn't seem too bad - apart from being French (sorry to all our French people out there - I'm just not a fan of French cars. Way to much plastic for my liking).

The handbrake is extremely wobbly. I don't know if this is a fault or not, it just didn't seem right.

If you do look at the VTR or VTS check the wheel arch extensions on them, as they are stuck on and sometimes not very well, which can cause leaks.

I honestly can't think of any other faults they had.

A couple of girls who I used to work with had a Saxo. One had the VTS, the other had the VTR. They didn't seem too bad - apart from being French (sorry to all our French people out there - I'm just not a fan of French cars. Way to much plastic for my liking).

The handbrake is extremely wobbly. I don't know if this is a fault or not, it just didn't seem right.

If you do look at the VTR or VTS check the wheel arch extensions on them, as they are stuck on and sometimes not very well, which can cause leaks.

I honestly can't think of any other faults they had.

wont be a vts or vtr ;)

not a great fan of french cars, but to be honest the clio we used to have was perfect all the time we had it

and the alternatives arnt so great ;)

My son has a W reg VTR. He's had a drive shaft go, not uncommon I believe but more likely if the suspension is lowered apparently (which he has done). Otherwise it seems to be OK, and hasn't let him down over the past year

Top gear survey had them in the bottom 10 last year, and I don't think they were very much higher this year either.

IanB :D

I know it's not a saxo, but what about a Ford KA mate ?

I just recently got Sara one ............ it's the best / cheapest first car ............... it's really good !

I know someone who buys and sells KA's too .....

post-7604-1139495130.jpg

post-7604-1139495144.jpg

My personal first choice would be a nice reliable Yaris or even a Micra, but I doubt you could pick up a decent Yaris for a grand.

So I agree with Ahmet. A Ford Ka seems to be a better choice then a Saxo. Economical, nippy and very cheap to insure. I think its Group 1 or 2 car.

More info here:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/carrevie...px?model_id=247

Can easily pick up one for a grand. :D

Depends if your daughter likes the look of it however.....:shifty:

Can easily pick up one for a grand. :D

That one in the pic is a 97 ® with 50K on the clock ......... very clean, and it's the KA2, so it has the leccy windows, doors .. and PAS.

You won't find one for a grand though mate ........ that cost £1,300.

A budget of about £1,300 - £1,500 is more realistic !

....... and yes, it's in insurance group 2 :D

I've used AXs for past 5 years as little 'van' for fetching and carrying, (folded back seat down) and they've been great, especially the GT, which was a go-kart!. (In fact, surprise, surprise! :D I'm just selling my AX non-GT now on e-bay!! Item # 4611488127)

We've just got a VTR to replace the AX. Now THAT is quick, but you don't want to know that! The 1 litre ones should be cheaper than the VTs/VTRs, which are the ones people go for to soup up. One advantage of Citroen's basic cars is that they tend to be good solid no frills cars. So no electric thingys to fail.

My AXs and now Saxo are driven by my lady manager and she likes them, if that's a clue to how well they go down with the next generation?

As usual, look out for one with recent tyres/maintenance, etc.

Tell her she's having a Starlet and thats final :lol:

Wish I could post photos! My S-Cargo is a Starlet underneath, circa 1990!

i actually like KA`s :blush:

they are like go karts

great fun especially when they were the wifes company car :lol::lol:

i was under the impression that they were out of price range, or would be a high mileage wreck

as much as i like starlets, its the insurance which is expensive, as she has to pay it, it needs to be group 1 or 2 really

chris skelton !!

has your escargo had a transplant then

the last time i looked they were made by nissan and were based on a sunny :lol:

theres no way she would drive one, i know we had trouble ever getting her in one, plus they are auto ;)

i loved that van :D

whats taken her fancy at the moment is a 1.0 litre saxo, 45,000 miles, r reg, special edition model for £1100

in bright yellow :o

whats taken her fancy at the moment is a 1.0 litre saxo, 45,000 miles, r reg, special edition model for £1100

Hey Bazza, it wouldn't be just the fact that she likes "yellow" :lol:

to be honest no

her initial spec was a silver or black one, not blue or green and especially not red!!

i tried to persuede her to other colours but she wouldnt budge

not until she saw a yellow one

i actually like KA`s :blush:

they are like go karts

great fun especially when they were the wifes company car :lol::lol:

i was under the impression that they were out of price range, or would be a high mileage wreck

as much as i like starlets, its the insurance which is expensive, as she has to pay it, it needs to be group 1 or 2 really

chris skelton !!

has your escargo had a transplant then

the last time i looked they were made by nissan and were based on a sunny :lol:

theres no way she would drive one, i know we had trouble ever getting her in one, plus they are auto ;)

i loved that van :D

Brain fade is matching Ser 3 screen fade!! Of course!! It's a SUNNY underneath, not a Starlet! (Though it IS a starlet)

Bright yellow! The least sellable colour! Snap it up! £1K cash. Mileage good.

I used to have one.

There is sometimes a knocking noise when accelerating off. Cant remember what the reason was again.

Pip is right in terms of parts.

Never had any problems to be honest. Always started.

First service they needed to replace the CV gator, which wasn't too expensive a part, but labour intensive.

Erm, cant remember much else apart from that. Had it 2 years.

D.

I used to have one.

There is sometimes a knocking noise when accelerating off. Cant remember what the reason was again.

Pip is right in terms of parts.

Never had any problems to be honest. Always started.

First service they needed to replace the CV gator, which wasn't too expensive a part, but labour intensive.

Erm, cant remember much else apart from that. Had it 2 years.

D.

I used to have a vtr, it went throught 5 or 6 bearings an a driveshaft in 3 years, and the brakes werent to great, but i think that they are all more problems related to the vtr/s more than the 1 ltrs.

If she's a tall lass tho she may have problems getting her legs comfotably under the stearing rack!

Bazza,

bought my daughter a saxo last year from a dealer, wasnt too bad a car for the first few months, then was plaqued by faults such as drive shaft, and wheel bearings, also needed disks on the front which after being done by citreon dealers they couldnt get any rear brake, ended up being a master cylinder and rear brake pistons but took them a week to sort it. changed it this year for a VW polo 1.0 on a x plate, Nice car has done a few thousand miles now with no problems, bit more refined and a better drive imo. plus it was group 2 insurance.

Nah I wouldnt go all French on her, it ends up expensive with a french car that is a few years old.

I would agree with Ahmet on this one for the Ka

All you need to do is ask her what colour...thought thats all that mattered to women when it comes to cars

17.....doesnt sound as bad as 16, i know what aido would be thinking right now

Nah I wouldnt go all French on her, it ends up expensive with a french car that is a few years old.

I would agree with Ahmet on this one for the Ka

All you need to do is ask her what colour...thought thats all that mattered to women when it comes to cars

17.....doesnt sound as bad as 16, i know what aido would be thinking right now

you are right about the colour and women :lol:

i dont think she is fussed at all about make, just what appeals at the time !

as said i like the ka but feel buying at the bottom of the market will inherit a bad example or be very basic, as in no power steering :crybaby:

actually she is still 16 :o till next month, ive actually got aido locked up in chains with no access to the outside world :D i will let him out when its safe.........about 50 years time !!

Hi i work at citroen dealer, and would have to say that the saxo is the most reliable of the current range the most common part to go is the stepper motor which sends the revs all the place when it fails, it costs about £80 for the part. Just check for the usual ware and tear, brakes can be a bit weak and being the 1.0 i dont think it will have power steering so can be heavy on parking even though its a small car.Also check the front seat runners silde back and forth as these can jam.She would be better trying to get a cheap saxo 1.1 desire, you get electric front windows, power steering,cd player body colour bumpers and better seat trim hope that helps.

Hi i work at citroen dealer, and would have to say that the saxo is the most reliable of the current range the most common part to go is the stepper motor which sends the revs all the place when it fails, it costs about £80 for the part. Just check for the usual ware and tear, brakes can be a bit weak and being the 1.0 i dont think it will have power steering so can be heavy on parking even though its a small car.Also check the front seat runners silde back and forth as these can jam.She would be better trying to get a cheap saxo 1.1 desire, you get electric front windows, power steering,cd player body colour bumpers and better seat trim hope that helps.

great stuff thanks :)