Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400h Headlight Converters/snow Tyres

Help.... Going to France tomorrow and Lexus claim there is no approved method of converting headlight beam on these cars for foreign travel. I noticed several posters have been to france etc, what did they do?

Also, I have a set of Vredestein snow tyres (255/55/18) fitted in the UK with a set of chains for the front tyres (tryed them all and they work great...), they are good for most all season stuff too.

Help.... Going to France tomorrow and Lexus claim there is no approved method of converting headlight beam on these cars for foreign travel. I noticed several posters have been to france etc, what did they do?

Also, I have a set of Vredestein snow tyres (255/55/18) fitted in the UK with a set of chains for the front tyres (tryed them all and they work great...), they are good for most all season stuff too.

Unless there is something radically different about the lights on the 400h, you should be able to get converters from Halfords. One of their packs specifically lists the RX300 mark II. I would try a different Lexus dealer to confirm that particular story !

I was always LED to believe that the beam converters (which are actually just blanking filters, not "converters" in the true sense of the word) don't work with HID lighting.

My F355 had HID lights, but there was a lever behind the light unit which changed the angle of the lamp so that beam dipped right or left. I would have thought that there should be something similar for these.

I know some newer model vehicles have a button on the instrument cluster to change the beam dip direction of the HID lighting. I guess this is a shortcoming of Lexus for not having given consideration to vehicles in the European market where both sides of the road are used depending on the country you're driving in...

L.

I was always led to believe that the beam converters (which are actually just blanking filters, not "converters" in the true sense of the word) don't work with HID lighting.

My F355 had HID lights, but there was a lever behind the light unit which changed the angle of the lamp so that beam dipped right or left. I would have thought that there should be something similar for these.

I know some newer model vehicles have a button on the instrument cluster to change the beam dip direction of the HID lighting. I guess this is a shortcoming of Lexus for not having given consideration to vehicles in the European market where both sides of the road are used depending on the country you're driving in...

L.

Of course you're right, more like obstructors really, however, the offical line, now, from Lexus is that they have had 'technical' issues with the system they had (?) and that they have no recommendation at present other than don't go abroad or drive in daylight only...!!!

Hi, I own a uk rx300sel 53 model in france and stuck the stickers on that they sell in the shop at dover.Haven't had any problems with them at all..they specifically mentioned lesus rx300 on the list.

Does yr RX have the HID/swivelling headlights?

Yes,the RX SE and SE-L have the i-ALS or whatever it is called,where the angles of the HID lights are altered when steering around corners.

It says in the manual that if you are going abroad you should disable the i-ALS.There is a button to do this near the fuel door release button or there abouts.

Otherwise,I would recomment the stick on"Halfords" type converters.They are easy to use,come with easy to understand diagrams for each car make.model,and they can be used in HID lights,I used them on a previous car,and they reduce the amount of light projected to the nearside of the vehicle,which would dazzle on coming traffic in Europe.

• 7 years later...

See below for answer from Lexus UK. There is no need to do anything.

Thank you for your further email.

I can confirm that the HID (High Intensity Discharge) headlamps on the RX 350 do not need to be
converted for travel on the continent. The set up of the headlamp is such that the light shines in a horizontal
flat beam which has no kick up and as such is not dazzling to drivers of oncoming cars.

As you have suggested, we would recommend that the Intelligent Adaptive Front-lighting
System (I-AFS) is switched off when travelling on the continent.

Yours sincerely

Claire Newman

Customer Relations Executive