Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Starting Problem

My IS200 has recently developed a slight starting problem. Its never actually failed to start, but it usually happens when ive left the car for a good few hours, in the mornings and after worrk etc.

It seems to turn over for longer than normal, sometimes for around 5 seconds, then finally starts. It turns over at the same speed as normal but seems to struggle to fire up.

Anyone have or had a similar problem???

Thanks in advance, Rich. :D

My IS200 has recently developed a slight starting problem. Its never actually failed to start, but it usually happens when ive left the car for a good few hours, in the mornings and after worrk etc.

It seems to turn over for longer than normal, sometimes for around 5 seconds, then finally starts. It turns over at the same speed as normal but seems to struggle to fire up.

I have had the same on my 53 plate IS 200 sport. I generally keep it in the garage and thus never have an issue. But on the odd occasion I stay in a hotel and leave it outside I do sometimes find is is a bit hesitant. I have never had an issue with getting it going though.

If the car turns over at "normal" speed it would suggest that the Battery is OK.

What mileage has the car done and has it been regularly serviced?

Are the spark plugs due for a change and have you tried an ECU re-set?

If the car turns over at "normal" speed it would suggest that the battery is OK.

Its a 2002 with 48k with Full Lexus service history. Might try an ECU reset actually.

My 2002 IS300 seems to have the same problem, when starting from cold it turns over quickly for around 3-5 secs and eventually fires slightly spluttery for a second then fine. As I have only just bought the car I did not know if this was normal, it now appears not. What is an ECU reset?? Can you do it yourself and if so are there any risks?? As its out of Warranty I dont want a big bill to cure a minor annoyance.

If the car turns over at "normal" speed it would suggest that the battery is OK.

I'd agree that its very likely to be the plugs.

Mines doing the same thing on odd occassions.

Its due its annual service next month and they did not do the plugs last time as I changed 6 months before.

Same for both models!

Hmm. Got me thinking!

As I recall, some of the early IS300's had starting problems, which were fixed by a tweak to the ECU(?) under warranty. So if mines been tweaked (don't know if it has been), and I reset the ECU, would that undo the tweak :question:

IanB :D

Same for both models!

Hmm. Got me thinking!

As I recall, some of the early IS300's had starting problems, which were fixed by a tweak to the ECU(?) under warranty. So if mines been tweaked (don't know if it has been), and I reset the ECU, would that undo the tweak :question:

IanB :D

Your dealer will be able to tell you if the car went in for a recall. Resetting the ECU or disconnecting the Battery won't undo the tweak.

i said change the battery as i had the same problem - look quite a while to start even though the cranking speed was about the same - changed the battery and all was fine again.

may i ask what is the average length of your driving route?

I tried the ECU reset on my Is300 yesterday but no improvement, interesting what you say about replacing Battery as I did not think it could be this as appeared to turn over quick enough - however only had car for a week so not sure what normal feels like. May try at week end attaching my jump start power pack and seeing if that makes any difference before spending any cash on new Battery. However, not sure if previous owner had replaced the Battery already as its got TOYOTA badging on, is this normal for a 2002 car or did it originally have Lexus Branding?? Thanks for help.

may i ask what is the average length of your driving route?

About 6 miles to work, then 6 miles home during the week.

Its actually been fine since I posted on here!! :lol::lol::lol:

Think ill just change the Battery anyway as I dont want it to fail and leave me stranded. It is the original Battery too, so 4 years old.

as you only do short trips u might find that the Battery is not getting a full charge.

you say that you have a Battery pack, ensure it is fully charged connect it and see what happens then, if it starts ok then look at the Battery.

new one is about £55 but get an aftermarket one as it will have a higher capacity 55Ah compared to the standard 45Ah.

I've been having the exact same problem with my 2002 is300. I've had the car for a while now and its only just developed the problem. I serviced the car but that didn't cure it. Also tried resetting the ECU, but that hasn't had any effect either. I do quite long journeys 120 odd mile commutes 3 times a week so Battery is pretty much fully charged. May change the spark plugs to see if it makes a difference.

I believe there was a thread about this some time ago. One possible answer is to turn the ignition on and then wait for a second or two before starting the engine. Gives time for the ECU to sort itself out, or something like that. Must admit that it seems to work ok for me.

Graham

I have tried connecting my Battery pack this morning but no joy. I will try just turning they ignition on and waiting and see if that helps.......getting a bit paranoid about this now especially as our other car a Galaxy 2.8V6 refused to restart from hot today..... still that might have somthing to do with my wife setting the alarm off and then pressing every buton possible to try and switch it off. I think the immobilisor must have thought the car was under mass attack. When I eventually got to her it did fire up eventually and the dashboard lit up like a Christmas Tree..... Still it seems to be sorted now. Perhaps i can stop my wife using the Lexus and see if that cures it....maybe not as it will mean I will have to drive back from the pub instead!