Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Urgent Advice Needed Quick!

panda

My wife bought an 02 GS300 about 6 weeks ago from a Lexus dealer. Since then there have been issues about the engine seeming to be under powered - certainly in comparison to the W reg I had myself until yesterday. I kept wondering why the engine in the 02 looked older than the one in my W Reg.

Today I suddenly thought to check the engine number on her V5 against the engine number on the plate at the front of the engine in her car. According to the V 5 the engine number should be JZ20986505. On the plate on the engine the number starts JZ087 then there is an area where it seems rubbed out - then it ends 61.

To my simple mind this indicates that this is not the engine that the car is supposed to have and therefore we have absolutely no means of knowing how many miles it has done in comparision with the car.

Before I go down there tomorrow breathing fire - am I being thick or something?

If the number has been rubbed out then it's real bad news ( Scarface will confirm that ). Get some engine cleaning stuff on an old paint brush and give it a good clean. If it still looks the same then get straight down to your Lexus dealer .............

My wife bought an 02 GS300 about 6 weeks ago from a Lexus dealer. Since then there have been issues about the engine seeming to be under powered - certainly in comparison to the W reg I had myself until yesterday. I kept wondering why the engine in the 02 looked older than the one in my W Reg.

Today I suddenly thought to check the engine number on her V5 against the engine number on the plate at the front of the engine in her car. According to the V 5 the engine number should be JZ20986505. On the plate on the engine the number starts JZ087 then there is an area where it seems rubbed out - then it ends 61.

To my simple mind this indicates that this is not the engine that the car is supposed to have and therefore we have absolutely no means of knowing how many miles it has done in comparision with the car.

Before I go down there tomorrow breathing fire - am I being thick or something?

Thanks - I though so - a Johnson nappy wipe did the trick. The middle part of the nunber has definately been rubbed out though the bar code is still in tact (obviously I can't read it) - as the engine number starts 087 instead of 098 (assuming they use consecutive numbers) the engine is alot older than the one its supposedto be.

Hmm .... have you tried doing a HPi Check ?

I'd also do one of those .............. and then just claim it all back from the Lexus Dealer.

It certainly doesn't sound right ...............

Have you also checked the vehicles VIN ? Just to make sure that all tallys up ......... :unsure:

Hmm .... have you tried doing a HPi Check ?

I'd also do one of those .............. and then just claim it all back from the Lexus Dealer.

It certainly doesn't sound right ...............

Have you also checked the vehicles VIN ? Just to make sure that all tallys up ......... :unsure:

The VIN number tallys but the engine number on the V5 and service book is JZ0986505 and the number on the plate at the front ofthe engine is JZ087(rubbed out)61.

I can't think of any explanation forthat other that that the engine has been swapped at some stage in the past for an older one - which for all we knowcould have done 400,000 mls.

Like Ahmet said, do an HPI check yourself and claim it back from the dealer.

An independent way of reassuring yourself, and finding some key details.

Thanks

In fact I rang up the dealers I got my LS430 from yesterday in part ex for my W Reg GS300 in order to tell them that I might want it back!! I explained the problem - they did an Experion Check on the wife's car there and then and the engine number on Experion was the same as the V5 and service book. His immediate reaction was - "If it was me I would think it was 'a ringer' take it back tomorrow". So it looks as if we are in for a highly embarrassing (for someone) conversation tomorrow.

Yeah please tell us how you got on. obviously I'm in the market for a lexus and although it's a bitch for you, your post may have taught me something and saved me. if i was you though, i'd want either my money or a different car back, because that just is not right

Yeah please tell us how you got on. obviously I'm in the market for a lexus and although it's a bitch for you, your post may have taught me something and saved me. if i was you though, i'd want either my money or a different car back, because that just is not right

Well it was a fiasco. The salesman was as always superb - genuinely concerned - couldn't understand it - it made me feel really bad as he has been so good. Then the complications started. First the service manager looked at the plate on the front of the head and said that that wasn't the engine number it was the model number. I wasn't convinced because the numbers both began JZ 0 *** so I asked where the engine number was. He said it was on the offside of the engine and under the manifold so you couldn't see it unless the head was removed! I just refused to believe that and it was suggested we would have to ring up Lexus UK. Finally a humble (!) mechanic came out and said the number was on the nearside of the engine block and we would need a torch to see it. A torch was produced and we all looked - We could only make out 4 figures but they tallied with the middle four figures of the correct engine number. So there you have it - one number on the engine block one number on the head! Really helpful! But they swore -and I beleive them, that the car has been looked after by them as the history revealed from new and that there was no question that they would have known if anything had been swapped. They fixed something else for me and we parted as usual, good friends - still not solved our problem though. At least we now all know where to look to check the engine number - though while I would not be surprised that a salesman did not know where it was I was astonished that the service manager didn't!

And while I am at it can I put in a big plug for ASPI prestige cars of Blackhill Stratford on Avonfrom whom I got my LS 430 and are superb in every way even down to doing a free Experion Checkto helpme with my engine number problem - and the standard they produced the LS 430 was awsome.

Ok, but doesn't explain why your 02 300 feels slower than your W reg 300?

Could just be physcological ?

Glad it's ok !

So am I!! - Today the wife (much much much prettier than me) rang up the dealer and begged them to have another look at the car. She pointed out to them that she has to 'floor' the accelerator to get up Remenham Hill which in a 3 litre car is ridiculous. They have been test driving it on the flat - where it is fine. Somehow I think the answer may be in the Auto box which - despite the fact that they re-set it to manufacturers spec - is perhaps just not changing down properly - it could be as simple as that. Anyway, having spent a good while on the phone they have agreed with her to take it out and drive it up some hills (at last) tomorrow - so the saga continues. So far the moral seems to be - if you want to get a garage to do anything for you and you have a pretty wife - get her to sort it.

Glad it's ok !

So am I!! - Today the wife (much much much prettier than me) rang up the dealer and begged them to have another look at the car. She pointed out to them that she has to 'floor' the accelerator to get up Remenham Hill which in a 3 litre car is ridiculous. They have been test driving it on the flat - where it is fine. Somehow I think the answer may be in the Auto box which - despite the fact that they re-set it to manufacturers spec - is perhaps just not changing down properly - it could be as simple as that. Anyway, having spent a good while on the phone they have agreed with her to take it out and drive it up some hills (at last) tomorrow - so the saga continues. So far the moral seems to be - if you want to get a garage to do anything for you and you have a pretty wife - get her to sort it.

also that is classic symtoms of a disintegrating cat

Glad it's ok !

also that is classic symtoms of a disintegrating cat

Funny you should say that. The wife sprayed on plenty of Coco Chanel and went for a test drive with the mechanic - Even after driving up and down a few non-steep hills he agreed that it was indeed underperforming - exactly the opposite of what we had been told and now they have got it in to 'pull it apart'. They have already told us that they though there was something wrong with the cat. So I expect you will be found to be 'spot on'.