Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance

kam05

Guys,

My insurance on the Lexus is up for renewal soon. My current insurance company (Directline) wanted £905!, but have gone with The Halifax for £642.

I'm a 26 year old male, 3 years NCB, no accident history/clean licence.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys,

My insurance on the Lexus is up for renewal soon. My current insurance company (Directline) wanted £905!, but have gone with The Halifax for £642.

Great saving. Just confuses me how there can such a difference between companies - all I can presume is that Directline have had more claims against them in the past year compared to The Halifax.

My mate has just done a quote on Confused.com

He is 19, with 1 years NCB, and only 2 years driving under his belt. He has been offered a deal on a Peugeot 306 Diesel (his Toyota Corolla E Reg is falling apart). One company came back with £700ish for third part fire/theft, another came back with £3000ish for the same insurance !!

Just goes to show - shop around.

What I found was that when shopping for cheaper car insurance always get a quote from a company who is new to the insurance market. For example, Sainsburys are new to the insurance market (car/home/travel) at the moment, they will more than likley undercut the big guns such as Directline etc in order to get your business.

I've never had much luck with them unfortunately. Best quote they could do me on my Aristo V300 was £1600!? :duh:

Im 23, 3 points, low crime area, 2 accidents in last year (1 fault) and i ended up going to Elephant for only £520 B)

I've never had much luck with them unfortunately. Best quote they could do me on my Aristo V300 was £1600!? :duh:

Im 23, 3 points, low crime area, 2 accidents in last year (1 fault) and i ended up going to Elephant for only £520 B)

One other think to remember with Confused.com is that they are bound to put extra money on top of the price quoted from the original insurer. So even if they DID give you a decent quote - try contacting the insurer direct. MoreThan would have been £30 dearer if I went with Confused.com :winky:

£1600 thats cheap for a twin turbo. I paid £1400 for my IS200 last year and that was when I was 24 with 2 years no claims and 4 points. :crybaby:

£1600 thats cheap for a twin turbo. I paid £1400 for my IS200 last year and that was when I was 24 with 2 years no claims and 4 points. :crybaby:

That's day light robbery man ! ........ who needs insurance anyway ! :lol::shifty:

I'm paying £880 'ish ........... 23 years old, IS300 ......1 Years NCB :D (elephant.co.uk)

:D

I reckon I was fleeced!

You're not wrong either !! :unsure:

Thats a good deal!!

I'm 25, 6 years no claims....Norwich Union wanted £1400 on renewal (all mods included S/C, bodykit, coilovers, exhaust, etc). Spoke to Adrian Flux and they have set me up with a year at £800! :D Well chuffed!!!

Aged 32, two recent accidents (1 fault), zero no claims, parked out on street in London, got covered for 2 other drivers and business use = £600 with Bell!

Bonkers, as it's group 18, everywhere else was charging £2k minimum.

The IS has never been a high insurance group and i have never had bother getting a decent quote. It is only 153bhp after all!!

That's day light robbery man ! ........ who needs insurance anyway ! :lol::shifty:

I'm paying £880 'ish ........... 23 years old, IS300 ......1 Years NCB :D (elephant.co.uk)

:D

I reckon I was fleeced!

You're not wrong either !! :unsure:

Being plod how does that affect your insurance if you dont mind me asking?

Take it that it puts you in favour from the insurance amount you pay?

I've had some very different insurance quotes in the not too distant past...

When I bought the RX400h I got the following quotes (taking into consideration the following:

Myself as primary driver with my better looking half [37 years old] as secondary named driver.

I'm 36, full and protected NCB.

No accidents, claims, or convictions.

Fully Comprehensive cover with standard excesses.

Lexus Insurance (directly) quoted me £980 / year.

Halifax quoted £785 / year.

DirectLine quoted £1950 / year (!!!)

Churchill (who I've been with for 3 years now) quoted £525 / year.

I fail to see how there can be nearly 4x difference in premium between Churchill and DirectLine.

DL also completely refused to insure the IS200 because it's left hand drive. Churchill had no problems with that at all. They even insured it when I first brought it over from France while it was still on the French registration -- in the interim time it took to go through the SVA and paperwork to register it in the UK...

My F355GTSF1 was insured through Churchill and cost about half what DL was quoting for the RX400h!

L.

Do remember this.....

An Insurance company is only as good as it's claims service !!

There are certain companies out there I wouldn't insure a bike with, let alone my pride and joys. Be careful. just because a quote is cheap doesn't mean the service is any good should you need to claim.

There are names mentioned above in this thread who are notorious for trying to wriggle out of paying claims. The reason they can quote so cheaply is because when you really need them - They're not there to help you as they should do.

Buyer beware

Nuff said

The Ed

Mines due in April so ive been looooooooking around at various sites and companies. Best quote thus far was from Virgin. £647 fully comp. At present im paying £935 and paid £2,500+ the year before :sick:

Low crime area, 2 years no claims and 22 years young :D Virgin also give you the option to pay monthly with no additional costs.

My work colegues wife has just bought an IS200 and is paying £241 fully comp!! Makes ya well :angry: done it! It is cheaper infact than her current car which is a Pug 106 Diesel!! Don't make sense!! :duh:

I believe its now the age of 30 before any insurance change for males. They wouldnt insure me on a 330ci sport unless i was 30.

I couldn't say I've noticed any major changes since being 30...

....MoreThan put my bloody insurance up to £410. I rang them up and had a big whinge about how long I've been with them, and why the hell should I pay extra insurance when I ain't made any claims. The little girl on the other end spoke to her boss and came back offering me £40 off as a loyalty bonus. :D

Does being over 25 really make any real difference?

Im only 23 but over the last 3 years i've owned 2 mk4 supras, an LS400 Series3 and 2 Celica GT4's and all have been reasonable to insure - approx £500-900.

Even now with my aristo and my esprit im paying just over £500...

And i havent been clean as a whistle either what with a few claims and 3 points...

Does being over 25 really make any real difference?

Im only 23 but over the last 3 years i've owned 2 mk4 supras, an LS400 Series3 and 2 Celica GT4's and all have been reasonable to insure - approx £500-900.

Even now with my aristo and my esprit im paying just over £500...

And i havent been clean as a whistle either what with a few claims and 3 points...

How is that possible? :huh:

I was paying £600 on a 1.1 Peugeot 106. I definitely seem to be missing a trick here!

Guys,

I'm the same age age and claims discount and I pay £390 with privilage! :P

Guys,

You sure mate?

I thought they only took people on who had 4+ years NCB? (just checked their website).....

Guys,

You sure mate?

I thought they only took people on who had 4+ years NCB? (just checked their website).....

Yeah, I think that's what Joanna Lumley says on the advert as well about the 4+ years NCB. I rang Premier not too long back, and mentioned to them that they said on the advert they can beat any quote.

The bloke confirmed what I thought - it'll probably be by about a £1 if they genuinely can't beat it !!