Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Happy Valentine's !

Lex-aholic

St Valentine getting his ***** kicked and umm....

shows how good a catholic i am lol!!

"St. Valentine’s Day falls on February 14, and is the traditional day on which lovers in certain cultures let each other know about their love, commonly by sending Valentine’s cards, which are often anonymous. The history of Valentine’s day can be traced back to an obscure Catholic Church feast day, said to be in honor of Saint Valentine. The day’s associations with romantic love arrived after the High Middle Ages, during which the concept of romantic love was formulated.

The day is now most closely associated with the mutual exchange of love notes in the form of “valentines.” Modern Valentine symbols include the heart-shaped outline and the figure of the winged Cupid. Since the 19th century, the practice of hand writing notes has largely given way to the exchange of mass-produced greeting cards. The Greeting Card Association estimates that, world-wide, approximately one billion valentine cards are sent each year, making the day the second largest card-sending holiday of the year behind Christmas. The association also estimates that women purchase approximately 85 percent of all Valentines cards.

There are many stories that we found to explain the origins of Valentines day, all of them related to stories of love…

1. The 3rd Century Priest

In the first search on the net, there may have been a 3rd century priest who rebelled against Emperor Claudus II’s ban on wartime marriages. According to the legend, Valentine would conduct secret marriages, until he was found out and subsequently killed on February 14, about 270 AD.

How lucky we are to have evolved..

2. The Valentine Sight Saver

Valentine was an early Christian in Rome, during a time when the Roman regime was not in favour of Christians. Emperor Cluadius II put him into prison. He saved the sight of his jailer’s blind daughter and then wrote secret love letters to her, signing them, “Your Valentine”. Valentine was beheaded on February 14 because he refused to cease practising Christianity.

3. A mis-pronounced Name

According to legend, Valentine’s name was “Galantine”, meaning gallant, a word associated with courtship. The mis-pronounciation is apparantly due to the way medieval French peasants pronounced the letter “g”.

4. Valentine was African?

Another source states that a Saint Valentine suffered in Africa with a number of companions.

5. February 14 as the day for birds to pair up and mate

In England, during the middle ages, it was popular belief that birds started to find their mate on February 14. A good enough reason as any to celebrate love and romance. The concept became popular amongst believers and they began to celebrate by exchanging love letters and simple gifts, like flowers."

Beat me to it

Pip

I think you missed the tale of valentine's day being a pagan festival. Traditionally celebrated on 14 February beacuse this was when birds chose their mate for the spring. This was then incorporated into a Roman/Christian festival where roman boys would pick a girls name out of a hat abd would have to spend the next week becoming 'friends'.

Or some such nonsense. I had a bit of a search on the internet when the lady asked me who valentine was.

I reckon I'll go with the priest.

Pip

I think you missed the tale of valentine's day being a pagan festival. Traditionally celebrated on 14 February beacuse this was when birds chose their mate for the spring. This was then incorporated into a Roman/Christian festival where roman boys would pick a girls name out of a hat abd would have to spend the next week becoming 'friends'.

Or some such nonsense. I had a bit of a search on the internet when the lady asked me who valentine was.

I reckon I'll go with the priest.

Oops sorry Pip, I missed your point 5. My bad. :tomato: