Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Interior Protection

Guys, I've got a reasonable "handle" on the outside of the car, but what about the inside?

I read mixed reports about caring for the interior, e.g. Supagard inside causes dust magnetism, Scothguard etc.

I've never looked forward to owning a new car as much as this Lex...5th new car ever, but more emotional about this then the Audi, the Merc, Honda, Toyota Corolla or VX Astra...

What's the best for protecting carpets, leather and interior trim? I bought a bottle of Halfords (I know :blush: ...) Interior cream, which I have to say is really good. Doesn't leave a shiny surface (I hate shiny plastic in a car - can't wait to change the gear surround on the SE with the wood from the SE-L!!!!!!!!!!!), and that's what I like - a matt finish. So any ideas? Don't mind spending a few quid if it's good..

And what's good for carpets and door trims?

Guys, I've got a reasonable "handle" on the outside of the car, but what about the inside?

I read mixed reports about caring for the interior, e.g. Supagard inside causes dust magnetism, Scothguard etc.

I've never looked forward to owning a new car as much as this Lex...5th new car ever, but more emotional about this then the Audi, the Merc, Honda, Toyota Corolla or VX Astra...

What's the best for protecting carpets, leather and interior trim? I bought a bottle of Halfords (I know :blush: ...) Interior cream, which I have to say is really good. Doesn't leave a shiny surface (I hate shiny plastic in a car - can't wait to change the gear surround on the SE with the wood from the SE-L!!!!!!!!!!!), and that's what I like - a matt finish. So any ideas? Don't mind spending a few quid if it's good..

And what's good for carpets and door trims?

Alot of the vinyl / plastic cleaners out there do unfortunately leave a shine. You can buy ArmorAll interior wipes which come in a plastic bottle where you pull the tissue/wipe thing out of the top - these come in different finishes (one being matt). I'm not sure on what these are exactly like, but my Dad has used them and said they work brilliant.

Once again, I'm a Meguiar's man, and like to use the interior spray. It does work really well, spray it onto one cloth and apply, wipe off with another. If you want a matt finish wipe it off immediately, it you want it shiny leave it on a bit longer. This stuff you will also be using on your door trims.

However the best thing I've heard (especially for new cars) believe it or not is a damp cloth !

Carpets I would say just keep them clean !! A quick vacuum once a week should do the job. If they do get dirty try Meguiar's carpet cleaner spray (surprise, surprise - I've said Meguiar's again).

If you're chaning the gear surround to wood try a light polish (something that's NOT got any abrasives what so ever !!). This used to bring the wood up in my previous cars something brilliant.

You really shouldn't have too much to do having a new car, as long as you keep it cleaned on a regular basis.

BTW - no, I'm not a sales rep for Meguiar's !! :P :D

for the dash ive found for me personally not to use anything as it tends to attract dust. I use my hoover, one of the connections is a brush part and just do the one over eith that works a treat get inside all the air vents and little cracks .

for the dash ive found for me personally not to use anything as it tends to attract dust. I use my hoover, one of the connections is a brush part and just do the one over eith that works a treat get inside all the air vents and little cracks .

This really is the best way - not sure on the hoover part though (might cause scratches ?). You really shouldn't clean an airbag surface as it's already thinner than the rest of the dash.

This really is the best way - not sure on the hoover part though (might cause scratches ?). You really shouldn't clean an airbag surface as it's already thinner than the rest of the dash.

no it fine, the bristles (sp?) on the hoover connection are quite soft. i havnt seen any surface scratches anyway

Put a very small amount of vinegar in a bowl of water and use that on the dash and windows.

Make sure not a lot or you will smell like a chippy.

And I'm not a vinegar salesman either :D

Vinegar ?? :sick: Wouldn't that cause discoloration ? :blink:

Try it :winky: used it for years - only a dash in maybe a litre of water. You dont smell it.

And it doesn't attract any dust like some cleaning products appear to.

Never had discolouration

Cheers guys - vinegar...lots in the kitchen and cheap as chips

:lol:

I'll stick with that suggestion of Vinegar (am happy to use that as I use Mr Muscle window cleaner - the green liquidy one which also has Vinegar and does a great job).

I'll also finish off my trusted Halford Interior cream (which is very good BTW).

What about the carpets - is it worth Scotchguarding them?

I'll stick with that suggestion of Vinegar (am happy to use that as I use Mr Muscle window cleaner - the green liquidy one which also has Vinegar and does a great job).

I'll also finish off my trusted Halford Interior cream (which is very good BTW).

What kinda surfaces do you step out onto ? Sounds like a silly question, but if you were to say step out onto muddy surfaces regularly it could be worth getting the carpets Scotchguarded. But if you usually just step out onto concrete I wouldn't bother - I'd just give them a regular vacuum, and if they DO get dirty steam clean them or use a carpet foam/spray.

What kinda surfaces do you step out onto ? Sounds like a silly question, but if you were to say step out onto muddy surfaces regularly it could be worth getting the carpets Scotchguarded. But if you usually just step out onto concrete I wouldn't bother - I'd just give them a regular vacuum, and if they DO get dirty steam clean them or use a carpet foam/spray.

My drive is nice and clean...

But everywhere else is bad...NCP's, work carpark...

It's black carpets so I'll se how it goes before splashing out...

I may wangle the rubber mats as the service from the dealer has been naff!

My drive is nice and clean...

But everywhere else is bad...NCP's, work carpark...

It's black carpets so I'll se how it goes before splashing out...

I may wangle the rubber mats as the service from the dealer has been naff!

This is sad, but I have actually washed my matts in the bath before :duh:

But they came up like new.

The bath was a bit of a mess though, but hey, thats what I got a wife for :whistling:

The bath was a bit of a mess though, but hey, thats what I got a wife for :whistling:

Oooooh.....I'm just waiting for all the responses from the girls !!

Doesn't it clog your bath up with carpet fibres ? :blink:

Oooooh.....I'm just waiting for all the responses from the girls !!

Doesn't it clog your bath up with carpet fibres ? :blink:

No - not that I noticed, they were in serious state as my lad had got in with his football boots and half the pitch. So they got real good scrub aswell.

We wash the dog in it aswell (thats the jack Russel - just in case you wondered whether I was refereing to anyone else living in the house ) Although he prefers a shower :P