Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200

Gavin G

Hi all,

My 2001 IS200 Sport has developed an annoying problem with the power steering. Basically when I start the car from cold in the morning, I have no power assistance whatsoever for the first few minutes of driving. However when the car is driven for 5 mins it is OK. This is a real pain especially if I have to try and move out from a parking space etc.

If I start the car and leave it idling for 5 - 10 mins before setting off it appears to be OK also. Obviously it has something to do with temperature?

I have checked the fluid level which is OK. I have also took a look at the drive belts in the engine bay and these also seem to be OK. There are no unusual noises either.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Cheers,

Gavin

Hi all,

My 2001 IS200 Sport has developed an annoying problem with the power steering. Basically when I start the car from cold in the morning, I have no power assistance whatsoever for the first few minutes of driving. However when the car is driven for 5 mins it is OK. This is a real pain especially if I have to try and move out from a parking space etc.

If I start the car and leave it idling for 5 - 10 mins before setting off it appears to be OK also. Obviously it has something to do with temperature?

I have checked the fluid level which is OK. I have also took a look at the drive belts in the engine bay and these also seem to be OK. There are no unusual noises either.

Cheers,

Gavin

You could try changing the power steering fluid :)

Hi all,

Cheers,

Gavin

Gord, I had thought about that. Is it necessary to change the fluid? Is this part of the service schedule for the IS200?

Furthermore, how easy is it to change the fluid?

Hi all,

Cheers,

Gavin

Gord, I had thought about that. Is it necessary to change the fluid? Is this part of the service schedule for the IS200?

Furthermore, how easy is it to change the fluid?

Never changed it Gavin, has you done lots of miles ? have a look in your service book to see if it should be changed, other than that it could be your power steering pump on its way out :o