Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windows Password Bypass

crazylex

Just trying to install a pc I got from an auction, and it has a user password. :mat:

Can't get hold of my techie - anyone know how to by pass it /reset it ?

I have seen it done before when we forgot a password, think you have to go into boot and access rights or something.

A quick trawl of Google has unearthed this for XP. I really cannot vouch for its validity though.

http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/1511

However, I had a similar problem with my laptop a year ago, when I changed my windows logon password, and screwed it up (I didn't realise numlock was on!). I took it to a local computer shop and cried help. The bloke there turned on my laptop and did some things I couldn't see. A minute later, he turned the laptop round and told me he'd wiped out the existing password, and suggested I re-enter a new one. So I'm guessing he did something as simple as that shown on this webpage. I was boggled at how easily he gained full access to my laptop.

I'd previously called Dell, and all they could recommend was to reload windows, something i was loath to do since I woud have lost all my data. Needless to say, I now back-up regularly!

Hope this helps. However, this is a CAUTIOUS RECOMMENDATION since I'm not an IT expert, but the internet is full of such advice.

IanB :D

A quick trawl of Google has unearthed this for XP. I really cannot vouch for its validity though.

http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/1511

However, I had a similar problem with my laptop a year ago, when I changed my windows logon password, and screwed it up (I didn't realise numlock was on!). I took it to a local computer shop and cried help. The bloke there turned on my laptop and did some things I couldn't see. A minute later, he turned the laptop round and told me he'd wiped out the existing password, and suggested I re-enter a new one. So I'm guessing he did something as simple as that shown on this webpage. I was boggled at how easily he gained full access to my laptop.

I'd previously called Dell, and all they could recommend was to reload windows, something i was loath to do since I woud have lost all my data. Needless to say, I now back-up regularly!

Hope this helps. However, this is a CAUTIOUS RECOMMENDATION since I'm not an IT expert, but the internet is full of such advice.

Thanks mate appreciated, my techie is actually a bobby, who actually interegates pc's (scarry stuff) so I think I'll just wait for him

Best plan probably. It'd be good to get his view on whether this tip would work. Doesn't bode well for PC security though!

I'll let you know what he does.

As for pc security - nothing is secure from his team, they can tell you what you looked at, what keys you pressed, how long between keys presses and all sorts. Good really, but a bit worrying when he is looking at mine :blush: Everything is still there even when you think you have cleared it or WIPED it !!