Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cracked Windscreen

saracen

Just finished washing the car and notice that the windscreen has a crack in it :tsktsk:

Rang the insurance company and said I wanted an OEM replacement but they say that they will supply a generic version and that I will have to pay the difference. Is this correct? I thought they would have to supply a Lexus windscreen?

you could site that for safety reasons you want the manufacturers part fitted and will they be ready for the law suite for fitting possibley

substandard parts!!!!

that should change their minds!!!

Oh dear mate, rough luck. Who are you gonna use - Autoglass in Leic (Welford Road)?

Happened to me last year, they :tsktsk: up the plastic cowl at the base of the screen where the wipers are...and the new screen distorted the view for 6 inches from the bottom all the way along...took 3 new screens, and lots of heartache.

I would suggest you take it to them, rather than let them come to you. They bring half the tools and botch it up...

You can try to argue about OEM or aftermarket, but I reckon they'll sight the "kite" mark...

How much extra are they talking? If it's a few shillings I'd get the OEM anyway, but they really do take the piff!

Good luck mate...

I got a stone chip repaired by Autoglass and the bloke said if the windscreen needed replacing that Autoglass would recommend Lexus/Toyota did it to ensure correct parts used. You can still claim from insurance as if Autoglass did the work apparently.

Saracen,

Do get the correct replacement as Lexus Screens are not nessarily dearer & your IS 250 screen is specially designed to inhibit infra-red as well as uv light:your baby deserves the best & a generic alternative is not correct on,technically,safety grounds!

Tel

Saracen,

Do get the correct replacement as Lexus Screens are not nessarily dearer & your IS 250 screen is specially designed to inhibit infra-red as well as uv light:your baby deserves the best & a generic alternative is not correct on,technically,safety grounds!

Tel

This is the best advice so far - forgot about all that UV and sound deadening stuff in the windscreen...

So insist on an a pukka one...

I'm with Norwich Union who deal with RAC Auto Windscreens.

Just before xmas, my screen on my car went and I told them I wanted an original toyota one. (Just told them I've heard some horror stories of after market ones not fitting 100% as OEM and causing leaks etc. So it's in both our interests to get the job done right first time). She said, no problem we'll get an orginal one for you...

Cut a long story short, DEFINATELY take the car to them. They initially sent my screen to manchester plus some other hastle, so they ended up sending me a cheque for £100.

Just finished washing the car and notice that the windscreen has a crack in it :tsktsk:

Rang the insurance company and said I wanted an OEM replacement but they say that they will supply a generic version and that I will have to pay the difference. Is this correct? I thought they would have to supply a Lexus windscreen?

I had mine done in december, 3 weeks after getting the car. I took it to RAC autowindscreens, who said they would only fit OEM glass.

BTW, make sure you get them to order the trims at the right and left hand edges of the windscreen and also the clips that they clip onto, because mine snapped when they took them off, and the guys at RAC windscreens Brighton, reakon that it would happen everytime you remove them, due to the way they are designed.

Hopefully if you forewarn them, you won't have to drive around with missing trims for 2 weeks like I had to :duh:

Hi

Mine also pick up a big chip on the motorway, Direct Line sent me to RAC Windscreens in Donny who said they would fit an aftermarket, I asked for proper Lexus and they said ok. When I asked if insurance would have a problem they said no!

Just shows it depends who's behind the counter that day?! should be one policy for the whole company.

Anyway, all this happend the week before xmas, and they said it would take a little longer to get from Lexus over the Xmas period. However I'm still waiting! Not impressed.

Guys, thanks for lots of great advice. I am waiting to hear both from the Windscreen people (Jamboo, I am dealing with Coventry cos that is where I work and they were going to do it while I was at work) who are trying to source a genuine screen and also check what the Insurance company were going to do about the cost issue.

I think I will take the car to them (as opposed to them coming to me) and I'll be sure to mention about the clips etc when it is booked in.

On my old lexus (51 plate IS200 SE) i got a massive crack. Autoglass replaced it, broke my rear view mirror - which they tried to glue back on.

In the end, i got a new rear view mirror, shards of glass and glue over the dash, and what looked like the wrong tint to the windscreen. Was not impressed, but did not complain enough :(

I had a big crack on my is 200 front windscreen , sent to Autoglass ( stoke ) by Tesco insurance, i rang them & booked an appointment ,

they got the windscreen type wrong & didn't have the one for my model instock , they told me there are 5 different types of windscreen for the is 200, they then asked me if i would like them to fit the one they had in stock IE no heated feature & they would have to glue the rear view mirror to the screen as mine is fitted in the roof cowling

i won't tell you what happened next but it did !

oh & they blamed me for not knowing the model of windscreen i have in my Lex 100% true !

Just had the windscreen guys on the phone and I will be getting a Lexus windscreen with no extra charge other than the excess - result! I've also booked to take it into them to have it fitted. Thanks for the help guys.

Warning - slightly off topic!

I too have slight chip in my windscreen - pesky builders lorries throwing up stones!

It doesn't sound as bad saracen's problem. It is a very slight chip that looks like a small white dot on the windscreen. My question/s are; Do you think it is worth getting it done or should I wait and see if it gets worse (it may not as it is a small chip). If I do get it done, should I claim through my insurance? How much will it cost if I get it done privately? Assuming that it is a repair job, not a replacement.

Thanks.

Warning - slightly off topic!

I too have slight chip in my windscreen - pesky builders lorries throwing up stones!

It doesn't sound as bad saracen's problem. It is a very slight chip that looks like a small white dot on the windscreen. My question/s are; Do you think it is worth getting it done or should I wait and see if it gets worse (it may not as it is a small chip). If I do get it done, should I claim through my insurance? How much will it cost if I get it done privately? Assuming that it is a repair job, not a replacement.

Thanks.

Most insurance policies cover you for a couple of windscreen replacements over a few years without effecting your premium or NCB. Bring it to a shop and see if they will replace it under your policy but remember what has been metioned above.

If you get your windscreen replaced under your insurance, make sure when you go to get your quotes for motor insurance that you tell them you made a claim for it. If you dont, when they go and check the database of claims it will show up. This can mean the difference of £5 (after informing them) or £100 (not informing them before they check the database) for your protected NCB (if you go for it)!

Even if your insurance says the windscreen claim will not effect your NCB (which is correct), it can still effect your protection of NCB at renewal if not declared... they view it as being "dis-honest" when calculating the NCB premium!