Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Would Like An Rx400h

I'd like to buy an RX400h - been thinking of this for some time. But what puts me off buying one is that despite what Lexus say in their literature, the ICE system is NOT state of art. That is, it does not feature either DAB radio or MP3 player connectivity. Also, reading various threads here and elsewhere, there doesn't appear to be an easy way to get these. Toyota/Lexus are way off the mark in not providing for these technologies which, quite frankly, have been around for some time. :huh:

Does anyone in the trade know if and when this issue will be addressed?

Also, I'd like a WHITE one. You can get them in the USA and Dubai - they look superb? Why can't I have a WHITE one in the UK? - Even if it's to special order?

I bought a Toyota LC amazon last year and WHITE was an option - although it would be a special order. Why not on the RX400h? It's not difficult, surely??????

So at this stage without these issues being addressed I'm not parting with my money. And it annoys me that Lexus promote the ICE as state of art when it clearly isn't. :angry:

I'd like to buy an RX400h - been thinking of this for some time. But what puts me off buying one is that despite what Lexus say in their literature, the ICE system is NOT state of art. That is, it does not feature either DAB radio or MP3 player connectivity. Also, reading various threads here and elsewhere, there doesn't appear to be an easy way to get these. Toyota/Lexus are way off the mark in not providing for these technologies which, quite frankly, have been around for some time. :huh:

Does anyone in the trade know if and when this issue will be addressed?

Also, I'd like a WHITE one. You can get them in the USA and Dubai - they look superb? Why can't I have a WHITE one in the UK? - Even if it's to special order?

I bought a Toyota LC Amazon last year and WHITE was an option - although it would be a special order. Why not on the RX400h? It's not difficult, surely??????

So at this stage without these issues being addressed I'm not parting with my money. And it annoys me that Lexus promote the ICE as state of art when it clearly isn't. :angry:

Can understand about the Aux input for mp3 players and stuff, but the DAB would not bother most people Id have thought and would cost extra I guess. The stereo's in Lexus Mark Levinsons are pretty dam good as standard.

the ICE system is NOT state of art. That is, it does not feature either DAB radio or MP3 player connectivity.

Actually, I think you'll find that the ICE does in fact support MP3. (You might be confusing the ICE with the integrated console containing the stereo, sat nav, etc.)

It actually supports:

DVD, VCD, SVCD, CD, MP3 CD

and has auxiliary inputs to anything which has stereo and composite video output (such as a playstation, video cam corder, etc.)

Of course the MP3 capability is not much use to the driver or front-seat passenger since it's only available through the infrared headsets of the ICE.

L.

I suppose if those are your priorities,then it's your choice.

I suppose some of the features you want may appear in future year models.Have you asked Lexus GB if they plan any such updates?

I bought an RX400h for other reasons....

Many thanks for all your respones and may I turn respond to some of them in order to clarifying my position.

1) I'm not disputing the quality (of sound) of the Lexus system. Yes, it truly is great. However, without modern features such as connection to and control of mp3 players, and a DAB radio, it could not be described as 'state of art'. There are a number of DAB stations I would like to listen to that are not available on FM.

2) Whilst I know that there are aftermarket options, I don't want extra pieces of kit around the dash - it should all be integrated. Even if I went for the aftermarket route I find that dealers are most reluctant to fit is as its not original Toyota/Lexus equipment.

3) OK, I accept that I'm confusing ICE with the integrated console. But I'm not interested in what passengers can enjoy so the DVD and headset screens are superfluous for me.

4) Re: WHITE - Don't see why this should affect the resale value. I sold my WHITE Chrysler Voyager last year an the colour was not an issue. Also, WHITE is made by Lexus regularly in Japan for other markets. I don't see why I can't order one as a special option.

I have a GS300 which I'm very happy with - but buying an RX300/400 with its current spec would not give me anything extra in terms of new toys - so why bother with changing?

I find this all a great shame as I do like the Lexus principle of including everything in the price. It is a great shame that 'everything' does not include features that have been around for some time on lesser marques.

1) I'm not disputing the quality (of sound) of the Lexus system. Yes, it truly is great. However, without modern features such as connection to and control of mp3 players, and a DAB radio, it could not be described as 'state of art'. There are a number of DAB stations I would like to listen to that are not available on FM.

Wait another three or four years when FM stations will be obsolete since they'll all be DAB or DRM :blink:

(Why does it take a consumer to consider this possibility rather than the manufacturer always playing "catch-up" ?)

L.

Another point is that with the audio system fully integrated into the car, this makes it virtually impossible to steal. But it does mean that you are stuck with that technology for the life of the car.

Contrast this with an audio/nav system that fits the standard DIN holes. It may be easier to steal, but it does mean that you can keep up with evolving technology.

So, in my view, manufacturers that integrate their audio/nav/etc into a console must either offer the latest technology at the point the car is sold, or, provide an upgrade path in terms of software upgrades and equipment upgrades (all at a reasonable price, of course).

It is a great shame that Toyota/Lexus don't and this lack of foresight detracts from what is an otherwise excellent product. Sadly they only get 9/10. For me to pay for a new car (and get knocked with the initial depreciation) I'm looking for 10/10.

Can't think of many if any car manufacturers that offer upgrade paths on their stereos...????

And if that is what you reject the car on what one you aiming for ?

And why not get a 6 month old car and not take the full initial depreciation, that is if there are 6 month old RX400h's available..

... For me to pay for a new car (and get knocked with the initial depreciation) I'm looking for 10/10.

I should think that is what the majority of us do.

The RX 400h gets 10/10,that's why I bought it.

As they say,"you pays your money,you makes your choice"...

Wait another three or four years when FM stations will be obsolete since they'll all be DAB or DRM :blink:

(Why does it take a consumer to consider this possibility rather than the manufacturer always playing "catch-up" ?)

L.

Id disagree, with the majority of technology available and new technology being developed, manufactures often force upon people who would in the likley case not use it or would have even not considered it neccessary.

All this extra stuff costs extra and is so passed on to the consumer.

Just leanrt today that WHITE is now available. Both for the RX400h and the RX300. It's still a special order with delivery of about 12 weeks, but at least we now have the choice.

Indeed, the salesman didn't know about it. Remembered me from a few months ago and still though white wasn't available. But a colleague pointed out it was. When he looked into the new brochure, sure enough, there is was as an option ........

............................................. W H I T E :) :) :) :) :) :)

Now what about the DAB and MP3 ?????????? :blush: