Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have just had the pleasure of replacing one of my wing mirror's due to somebody cracking the glass, the £190 cost for just the mirror was bad enough, i now find that the green slime / gunge that came out of the damaged glass has chemically stained my passenger door and looks like it will need a re spray, does any body think that i have a valid claim against Lexus for this work.

Thanks

does any body think that i have a valid claim against Lexus for this work.

There are at least three of us on these forums who have had exactly the same experience (myself included, but was driver's side mirror thanks to a transit van)...

short answer to that question is a resounding NO, however. The specifications of the vehicle as well as its technological and safety features (i.e. the electrochromic mirrors which use a phosphoric gel charged with DC current) are in the public domain and the onus is upon the owner to mitigate that risk.

L.

There are at least three of us on these forums who have had exactly the same experience (myself included, but was driver's side mirror thanks to a transit van)...

short answer to that question is a resounding NO, however. The specifications of the vehicle as well as its technological and safety features (i.e. the electrochromic mirrors which use a phosphoric gel charged with DC current) are in the public domain and the onus is upon the owner to mitigate that risk.

L.

Did you also have to have door re sprayed or did you manage to get it out.

Thanks

Thanks

L.

Thanks

Thanks

:duh:

L.

Thanks

Thanks

I had a nightmare with this mate,my whole passenger door and rear door had to be resprayed.I took the matter up with LEX GB and got nowhere.!I was told this had happened before and would be covered under waranty-but didnt help or prevent me from having a respray though!!!

I've not had the door resprayed, and the marking is still slightly visible, but with regular washing of the car itself plus a colour restorer the green gunk is very slowly disappearing.

L.

L.

Having taken legal advice today i find that Lexus do have some responsibility on this issue, if they wanted to mitigate the responsibility of any damage on the owner they should be applying warnings to the fact that the contents of the wing mirror are dangerous to the paint work and should also be applying reccomendations as what should be done if one is broken and the contents are spilt.

I will be visiting my dealer very soon and will keep you posted.

Having taken legal advice today i find that Lexus do have some responsibility on this issue, if they wanted to mitigate the responsibility of any damage on the owner they should be applying warnings to the fact that the contents of the wing mirror are dangerous to the paint work and should also be applying reccomendations as what should be done if one is broken and the contents are spilt.

Will be interested in the results...

L.

Will be interested in the results...

L.

So will I - I just cannot see Lexus being liable unless they are using prohibitive products on their cars. It is like any other fluid in the car - if it is released as a result of an accident caused by the owner, owners insurance will be liable. If they do agree to fix it FOC, I believe it will be goodwill.

Hope it works out for you.

Tony

I am advised that they could be negligant by not advising that the contents of the mirror are harmful to their paintwork, they have known about it for years and todate have still not made any notification to this in any manuals or on the mirrors themselves.

The best example would be the McDonalds case where the contents of a coffee cup burnt a customer, the customer won their case on the same basis and hey presto what does it now say on all coffee containers "warning contents hot"

I am advised that they could be negligant by not advising that the contents of the mirror are harmful to their paintwork, they have known about it for years and todate have still not made any notification to this in any manuals or on the mirrors themselves.

The best example would be the McDonalds case where the contents of a coffee cup burnt a customer, the customer won their case on the same basis and hey presto what does it now say on all coffee containers "warning contents hot"

Hi mate,the answer to your question is yes Lex GB did pay for the respray.., but let me know if you get anywhere with this legal issue..It would be very interesting to know!!

Hi mate,the answer to your question is yes Lex GB did pay for the respray.., but let me know if you get anywhere with this legal issue..It would be very interesting to know!!

Many thanks for the information, in doing so i now also beleive that they have set a prescedent.

• 2 weeks later...

you need a valeter who has a mop.they can remove a thin layer of paint to expose the nice stuff underneath. it will cost £50 and as long as the paint is not burnt, it will be quick. look in yellow pages, find one near you and see what they say. they are the paint professionals :winky:

I am now in communication with Lexus on this issue, i would be most grateful if all those members who have had this problem would be so kind as to PM me with your details and details about the incident (Lex69 many thanks for your info) and what Lexus said to you, this information may be used in my case against Lexus GB

I am now in communication with Lexus on this issue, i would be most grateful if all those members who have had this problem would be so kind as to PM me with your details and details about the incident (Lex69 many thanks for your info) and what Lexus said to you, this information may be used in my case against Lexus GB

I thought i would bring the members following this thread up to date on current situation, I wrote to the MD of Lexus GB on the 6th of March and as yet had no reply or contact from them, if Lexus GB are reading this i have to say that you are doing a great job in moving a customer away from the brand, my confidence in them at this level is :tsktsk: dropping rapidly. i will also add that in my business if somebody at this level recieved correspondance and did not at least acknowledge it within 24hrs the brown smelly stuff would be going through the fan!!!!!

I will as and when they can be bothered to reply advise you all of the outcome.

• 1 month later...
What was the end result of this?

It same problem has happened to my car

In a nutshell Lexus do not want to know about it, it is currently with my legal representative.

I think you should write to them and make them aware as it is their opinion that this never happens.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links