Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250/is350 Dvd/menu/bluetooth Hack Walk Through

kinros

Right.

Spent a fairly stressful afternoon today carrying out the mod, and the good news is that it works! Just a few notes and tips...

The manual transmission IS has a different method of removing the centre console to the auto.

In brief, don't attempt to remove the silver side strips first. they're screwed to the plastic around the gaiter. Ease the gaiter out of its grooves to get a look beforehand. You can unpop the fastner around the gearshift to help.

The cupholder section behind the gearshift pulls straight up away from the centre console. Unplug the seat heater cable to help twist it out of the way. Then the front section of the console pulls up and towards the back of the car, just like in the walkthrough.

The rest of my mod was as per the guide - but I did it a little differently. I used string to pop out the fan ducts, and only had to cut one cable, as i popped out the contacts from the plugs and joined them with a connector.

I took photos of the process and if there's enough interest I'll put them together to help manual owners do the mod.

Good luck!

Hi all,

A few people interested so here are the pics... They should help manual transmission owners out when doing the mod. Use the walkthrough in conjunction with these tips.

Start by pulling the gaiter out of the way and removing the rear part of the centre console. Whack the handbrake on full and pull the cupholder portion straight up and it should unclip after a bit of effort..

center3qs.th.jpg

Disconnect the seat heater controls, and knid of twist the cenre section out of the way - then you can pull the forward center section up and back simultaniously and the whole thing pops out.

pulltwist2ad.th.jpg

The rest of the lower part is just like the walkthrough. Remove the ashtray and you can then get to the lower bolts holding in the MM..

botbolts0rl.th.jpg

The top bolts have to be got at next. The walkthrough uses a coathanger but that's a bit agricultural so I used a cord looped around the vents to more carefully get them out. I've also included a closeup of the vent clips, that have to be clipped downover

ventpull4vm.th.jpg

ventclips7ck.th.jpg

Then you can unplug the connections to the vents and get to the top bolts.

topbolts4hp.th.jpg

The MM's heavy, so get some towels to protect it and your leather! Ease it out, and pay attention to the fibre optic - it's tight, so unplug it. Unplug P1 and P50.

p1whitesil8pc.th.jpg

p500nv.th.jpg

This is the point where I differed from the walkthrough - I didn't want to cut wires unless absolutley neccesary - you can actually pop out the crimped connectors from the plugs and join them with a screw down connector, only applying pressure to the crimps. This will allow reinstallation into the plug bodies if required.

p1whitesil8pc.th.jpg

p50pink1jw.th.jpg

Then, you have to make a cut. The MM side red wire on J50 needs to be grounded to allow DVD playback while in motion. It bypasses the handbrake. I cut it in the loom and closed the loom back up, and grounded the MM side to the chassis.

redground0dx.th.jpg

That's it - as in the words of Hayes, reassembly is the reverse of removal.

BTW this mod still doesn't allow destination changes on the move, and that volume screen hack doesn't seem to work either. Ho hum..

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Done and dusted on a UK SE MM :D the most difficult bit is pulling out the vents (I used cable snippets of cable ties, inserted in the holes to stop the clips popping back into place while I tugged out the vent), the rest is a piece of cake.

All menu's available except the Sat Nav's which is the only downer as the volume hack doesn't work, but then people had already stated that for the UK models, has anyone come up with a solution to that yet?

Is there a thread :offtopic: on the MP3 on DVD, that would be great too.

• 4 months later...
Hello all,

Can someone please clarify something for me: what does the Kinrow hardware Mod allow you to do if you still cannot access the volume hack (for UK cars)????

It allows you to (while in motion) access the file/folder list on the cd changer, watch DVD's, and use the full phonebook on the BT phone system. On an unmodded system these things cannot be done or are severely limited.

As you probably know, the satnav destination change is still locked out as it gets it's speed sensing direct from GPS. The volume hack is a 'back door' to allow this, programmed into the US software, not Europe. Maybe there is another 'back door' for Europe, but AFAIK no-one's found it out yet...

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All, Would like to apply the hack to my 07 plated IS250

• :question: Can someone advise where the [de]/instructions are for the procedure - I can't seem to get any of the links to work.
    :question: Has anyone tried this on an 07 UK IS250 so far as the posts I'm reading seem quite old.

:offtopic: RDS-TMC - Seem to get very little from this when I'm driving into all those traffic jams. I've got it setup and it gets the CLASSIC FM signal. Any advice? OK, so I live on the South Coast, but we have our fair share of traffic problems.

• 2 months later...

Hi All, Would like to apply the hack to my 07 plated IS250

• :question: Can someone advise where the [de]/instructions are for the procedure - I can't seem to get any of the links to work.
    :question: Has anyone tried this on an 07 UK IS250 so far as the posts I'm reading seem quite old.

Did you ever receive a response to this enquiry?

1/2R

• 4 months later...

Never received any response :crybaby: to the multimedia hack

Just had the ipod integration kit put in the IS250 and it sucks. The Lexus implementation on their multimedia unit is pants and the software unpredictable. I'm waiting for my customer satisfaction call when I'll ask to have it taken out or get the software fixed.

I would not recommend it to anyone.

Just had the ipod integration kit put in the IS250 and it sucks. The Lexus implementation on their multimedia unit is pants and the software unpredictable. I'm waiting for my customer satisfaction call when I'll ask to have it taken out or get the software fixed.

I would not recommend it to anyone.

No help to you at all but mine has worked flawlessly since it was installed at the end November 2007. Works fine. Only small problem I have is there's only a short length of cable in the glovebox which makes it slightly difficult to remove the connection.

My first guess is that it's your ipod! When thinking which is more buggy; a piece of software designed on/for a quality piece of engineering, or something built by apple that takes x ammount a resets a week to get to work....I know which my money's on :)