Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Vs Is250

NetOne

How much better is IS250 over IS200 in terms of the following priority ? Please do not include or compare the standard features, eg. stereo, interior light, auto wiper, keyless entry etc.

1 - Comfortable

2 - Smoothness

3 - Performance & Handling

4 - Feel of luxurious

5 - Fun to drive

For the above five factors only, many percentage do you think that IS250 is better over IS200 ?

Thanks for any comment :D

How much better is IS250 over IS200 in terms of the following priority ? Please do not include or compare the standard features, eg. stereo, interior light, auto wiper, keyless entry etc.

1 - Comfortable

2 - Smoothness

4 - Feel of luxurious

5 - Fun to drive

For the above five factors only, many percentage do you think that IS250 is better over IS200 ?

Everything is better, i found it hard to believe it was from the same manufactuer haha

For me it was very well balanced car to drive :)

Not sure they ironed out some of the smaller details like rattles etc... but no major biggie!

Everything is better, i found it hard to believe it was from the same manufactuer haha

For me it was very well balanced car to drive :)

Not sure they ironed out some of the smaller details like rattles etc... but no major biggie!

I've learned that almost everything is better but how much better in comparison that you would score it.

NetOne.

Not sure if I can give you a true picture as I have gone from a base IS200 to a Sports IS250, but here goes.

Gone from cloth seats (with sheep skin covers) to Alcantra seats. Comfort is 200% better and seats feel more sporty as well as slightly bigger. Interior has more of a cockpit feel, which I like. Whole interior feels better with lots of better creature comforts.

Car rides and corners so much better. But I have gone to lower profile and wider tyre. The grip is far, far superior and the whole car is quieter and goes better. Engine seems to be better, but you can't really tell as it is much quieter inside. Gearboxes (manual) are about the same.

As above, the performance is so much better and gives you that real push back in the seat affect. A bit like the first twin cam Celicas. You are actually doing less Revs for the same speed so the car feels smoother and has better pickup in the low Revs, even though peak engine horsepower is still around the 6,000 mark with peak Torque now around the 4,000-4,500 mark.

Handling, well, what can I say. Fantastic, but how can you push it to the limit with the new controls to stop you spinning it. :lol:

Ozzing the luxury feel. All my friends have goo'ed and gar'ed over the feel and look, as well as all the little bits and pieces.

Well, where I live has an open 2k twisty 80kph road leading down to it and lets just say, I use 80kpm as the lower limit on most occassions. If only we had roads like you guys and Europe where you could do 130k+ and not have to worry about loosing your licence and driving in Oz would be so much more FUN.

Go and see if your dealership will give you a car overnight to test drive. They did here in Oz when I bought my IS200 a few years ago.

Hope I have helped. Good luck.

1 - Comfortable

2 - Smoothness

4 - Feel of luxurious

5 - Fun to drive

Still have my !S200 Sportnav as well as my IS250 SE-LMM and driving both so as a gut feel:

1. 250 80% more comfortable than 200

2. 90% smoother to drive

3. Performance feels 50% better, but handling I'd rate 20% improvement.

4. 250 100% improvement on the 200. No comparison really

5. The 200 is still more fun to drive, but I don't throw the 250 around as much so??? :whistling:

Bit unfair to compare at all really, they're totally different cars except for the badge!

The IS 250 is a more refined car than the LS & much better planted than my IS 300 around corners.It is a completely different car to the IS 2/300 as stated in previous posts & is SO refined & cossetting from the driving seat that it really gives me an almost "ultra-refined sports car" feel.

Tel :driving:

PIP,

True but the differences are very significant between cars i.e. my family/friends & I thought my IS300 was a super smooth sports saloon that ate 000's of Continental Autostrada Miles with ease.In 2003 I was lucky enough to be loaned a new LS for c. 8weeks & took that to Venice & Amsterdam & the LS was certainly more refined BUT the new IS has moved the goal posts even further &, without Manufacturers data, I contend the car is actually quieter than the current LS:as my BMW SNR. MNGR.friend says "they are lucky Lexus have relatively conservative growth plans"!!!!!!

Tel :driving:

Can't contain myself on this thread...

Only ever (so far) test driven both cars...still waiting for my new one...

But I have said it before (I am getting braver) the old IS was a Toyota...other than the fact that it was RWD and had a six cyl 2.0l (or 3) it was still a Toyota...sold as a Toyota in the far east (i.e. it's home country) with near identical panels and many of the mechanicals it shared with the Toyota Altezza (which I have not driven).

The new and old IS's are like chalk and cheese, and you really have to try it to believe it mate!!

The difference now is more stark than comparing a Mondeo to a Jag X type - they share some buttons, even the same engines (i.e. the diesel) etc, but the drive and quality is much much better in the Jag...the same applies here!! The old IS was good in it's time, but the competition has trounced it dynamically recently!!

It's in a different league to the old car (that old IS test drive was three years ago, a whole weekend loan of an IS200 Sport with styling kit/nav and wheels). I liked it, but not as much as the new one...and the then A4 then was a much better car (dare I say that on this forum - but IMHO!).

Now however, the new IS is just as much better than the A4...the tables have turned...

1 - Comfortable....improved on IS200 feels plusher

2 - Smoothness....slight improvement as the 200 was very smooth

3 - Performance & Handling..vast improvement as I always felt the 200 was under powered, handling also much better feels tighter into and out of bends

4 - Feel of luxurious...cabin is sumptuous and really classy well laid out

5 - Fun to drive...best drive I have had really good all round

I feel because of the big improvement in question 2 that it would rate as a 25% improvement overall.

was planning to be a smart guy and change my Yaris for an IS200 now (a great step in the right direction already that obviously) and in a couple of year get a pre owned IS250. The 250 cost more than I really want to put on a car and the catastrophic economy in buying a new car we are all too well aware of. But…

…after having test driven both of them, I simply had no choice - the IS250 is just so much car than the IS200! And actually, after living with it for soon a month and having put 2000 km on the road with it, I think it is so good that it is actually cheap for what you get!

Sorry, not an answer to your question maybe, but anyway… :)

Thanks guys especially Tango, tonyp & rap03 for the great input.

The reason for the input is because I'm still fighting within myself whether to upgrade to IS250. I've got the IS200 from brand new a few months now, still way far from first schedule service. For the IS200, I just don't feel comfortable, soothness & luxurious when driving it, and with heaps of engine noise and exhaust noise tyre noise that drives me crazy ;)

If I test drive the IS250 I might force myself going for the IS250 but I don't want to lose that much money just in a few months :blush:

1 - Comfortable....improved on IS200 feels plusher

2 - Smoothness....slight improvement as the 200 was very smooth

3 - Performance & Handling..vast improvement as I always felt the 200 was under powered, handling also much better feels tighter into and out of bends

4 - Feel of luxurious...cabin is sumptuous and really classy well laid out

5 - Fun to drive...best drive I have had really good all round

I feel because of the big improvement in question 2 that it would rate as a 25% improvement overall.

Tonyp, what is your input to the question? :rolleyes:

oldun :D

NetOne.

Have to add one thing. If you want a car that truely feels like you are driving "sports car" of old, then the 200 has this, even though you have the added road noise.

The 250 is more refined (and heavier) and hence, to me has a more luxury type feel. The 250 is better performance in the low revs (and high revs of course), but to truely have the sporty feel on both, you have to Rev them out, not like the Audi turbos or the BMWs where peak torque is down low.

Lexus (Toyota) seem to now make all their motors this way and have to use high Revs to truely make them perform, but they do Rev quiet freely as no doubt you have experienced on your 200.

Good luck.

Lexus (Toyota) seem to now make all their motors this way and have to use high Revs to truely make them perform, but they do Rev quiet freely as no doubt you have experienced on your 200.

Good luck.

Why would they make all their motors this way now since high Revs will definitely cause engine to wear faster according to the rotation friction theory.

NetOne.

Can't answer that one. :unsure: You still are only using low Revs at the normal speeds (around 2,000RPM @ 60kpm for the IS200 in 6th gear & now about 1,300-1,400RPM for the IS250), but all the performance is at the higher end.

Bit unfair to compare at all really, they're totally different cars except for the badge!

And there you have it in a nutshell, the price proves it.

It's like comparing a Rover 45 against the Rover 75, no comparison.

Thanks guys especially Tango, tonyp & rap03 for the great input.

The reason for the input is because I'm still fighting within myself whether to upgrade to IS250. I've got the IS200 from brand new a few months now, still way far from first schedule service. For the IS200, I just don't feel comfortable, soothness & luxurious when driving it, and with heaps of engine noise and exhaust noise tyre noise that drives me crazy ;)

If I test drive the IS250 I might force myself going for the IS250 but I don't want to lose that much money just in a few months :blush:

Before selling your nearly new IS200 you might want to consider this... I did not feel the IS200 to be running to maxiaml smoothness and quiteness for a year at least. HAve you considered changing your tyres. I think I started with Bridgestones and when I changed to Michelin the roiad noise went down

My Is200 is now 6 years old and the problem is that it is quiet and rattle free, so I am not sure why I need to get a new IS250

TudorDoc

I really liked the IS250 I drove. It was fast and smooth and everthing about it was excellent but I think my lowered IS200 with a fat exhaust seems more fun to drive, more involving and perhaps even handles better. When I revd the IS250 I wanted it to growl but it was too quiet. Handling wise I didn't have long to get to know the IS250 and I didn't throw it around quite so much as mine so perhaps I'd grow to prefer it. It was very nice though. In two or three years I'm going to face a hard decision.

The problem I see with the IS250 is that while it's quiet and luxurious, and has lots of goodies like the reversing camera, its looks are very bland and boring. I found myself thinking what a great looking car that Vauxhall they're advertising on TV at the moment looks compared to the new IS :o . They've definitely lost something in the new styling. Must go away to lie down: Vauxhall: never..... :shutit: