Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Modifications And Insurance Price

Lexmas

Just wondering what the effect of peoples' modifications have been on the price of their insurance?

(Especially with regard to S/C).

Is the increase huge :crybaby: , moderate :) or minimal :D ?

Cheers.

Just renewed mine, 25YO, 4years NCB, 1 accident 7 months ago, standard, Tesco wanted £398, with s/c, lowered sus, exhaust, bodykit, 18" wheels, they wanted £708.

Lee.

It seems to depend a huge amount on your insurance company and the nature of the mod. Some companies will not cover you for a mod, some will charge no increase in premium or just increase the excess for a certain mod, some will charge you a little or a lot. My previous insurer charged nothing extra for the alloys just increased the excess but when it came to lowering springs they wouldn't cover the car for any money.

In this instance I am seriously considering the Camcon installation into a standard Lexus Is 200 SE (although it does have a TTE bodykit and 18" tyres - insurance said as long as Lexus fitted these parts they don't count as mods so I got away with it!). I may wait a bit before the supercharger!

I may phone the insurance people tomorrow and enquire, problem is, I doubt they'll know what a camcon is.

Hmmmm.... :unsure:

In this instance I am seriously considering the Camcon installation into a standard Lexus Is 200 SE (although it does have a TTE bodykit and 18" tyres - insurance said as long as Lexus fitted these parts they don't count as mods so I got away with it!). I may wait a bit before the supercharger!

I may phone the insurance people tomorrow and enquire, problem is, I doubt they'll know what a camcon is.

In my experience they will ask about the power gain of the mod to evaluate the increase in premium.

In my experience they will ask about the power gain of the mod to evaluate the increase in premium.

Even more of a conundrum and a bit of a Catch 22. At the moment, the Camcon has not been tested on a standard IS 200 (only a S/C one) so the price I'm quoted for it is good because mine will be a sort of test car.

Until it is fitted and tested, I won't know the power increase, but by then I'll have to pay the insurance whatever it is. :ohmy:

Tricky.

A lot of insurance companies will not touch a car that has been moddified to increase the engine/power output other than stock when it left the factory and on paper.

It is weird as my premium didnt increase with exterior mods even though it may make the car more desirable to steal etc (everything is lexus mods not aftermarket though). When the brakes/discs etc were improved over stock they didnt drop the premium either?! When in theory braking power and stopping distance has been increased.

Talking about the s/c it warrants enough bhp increase over stock for MOST insurance companies to increase the premium a fair bit or not cover it as my previous one didnt. :tsktsk:

Being 26 i have always felt the shaft of insurance ever since 18.

I renewed my car insurance with a different company over here in Ireland a few days ago and on their website they actually had "IS200 Supercharger" listed in the drop down box for model varient. HAPPY DAYS!

I bit the bullet and rang them up and declared everything! Bodykit, exhaust,etc Its great piece of mind. My quote fully comprehensive worked out at €1818.00

It might seem like alot but considering how far I have modifed the car from standard I think its brilliant! Thats a fully comprehensive policy with windscreen cover and breakdown cover which neither of will effect my no claims bonus should I need to claim. Theres a €600 excess and a step back cover on the no claims discount should there be a claim.

So long story short the Supercharger made not much of a difference as the insurance company had it listed and know about its existance as an add on to the IS.

I renewed my car insurance with a different company over here in Ireland a few days ago and on their website they actually had "IS200 Supercharger" listed in the drop down box for model varient. HAPPY DAYS!

I bit the bullet and rang them up and declared everything! Bodykit, exhaust,etc Its great piece of mind. My quote fully comprehensive worked out at €1818.00

It might seem like alot but considering how far I have modifed the car from standard I think its brilliant! Thats a fully comprehensive policy with windscreen cover and breakdown cover which neither of will effect my no claims bonus should I need to claim. Theres a €600 excess and a step back cover on the no claims discount should there be a claim.

So long story short the Supercharger made not much of a difference as the insurance company had it listed and know about its existance as an add on to the IS.

£1818 i think i would be crying :lol:

At that insurance price i dont think it would matter if you added a twin turbo lol :D

[Just renewed mine, 25YO, 4years NCB, 1 accident 7 months ago, standard, Tesco wanted £398,

Slight hijack of thread but ...

Wow that seems very cheap

38YO, full NCB (protected) 1 fault claim 2004, 1 non fault claim 2004, 1 non fault claim 2002. £585 more than

due in three weeks - will call tesco tomorow !

[Just renewed mine, 25YO, 4years NCB, 1 accident 7 months ago, standard, Tesco wanted £398,

Slight hijack of thread but ...

Wow that seems very cheap

38YO, full NCB (protected) 1 fault claim 2004, 1 non fault claim 2004, 1 non fault claim 2002. £585 more than

due in three weeks - will call tesco tomorow !

:offtopic: I've been with Tesco for 3 years now, no other company can seem to beat them.

At that insurance price i dont think it would matter if you added a twin turbo lol :D

Well over here in Ireland there are really only 12 big insurance companies. So to an extent we are kinda at their mercy! I think its about time the insurance market over here was opened up to other big EU insurers. Single common market and all that EU stuff..

But with the conversion from Euros to GBP my premium is

€1,818.00 EUR = £1,236.42 United Kingdom Pounds

So its not actually that bad mate!

Well over here in Ireland there are really only 12 big insurance companies. So to an extent we are kinda at their mercy! I think its about time the insurance market over here was opened up to other big EU insurers. Single common market and all that EU stuff..

No that aint bad now converted fom euros. :winky:

No that aint bad now converted fom euros. :winky:

Adrian Flux quoted me £1,400 with S/C, without it when its due again was £685 with virgin so guess thats a big increase for me on the way!

Presently paying £935 with Direct Line. 22 Y,O 1 year no claims but 2 in April (touch wood!)

My insurance this year was £1,650 ish - 24YO, 0 NCB, 0 points, fully comprehensive.

This is pretty expensive as it is and any increase would be quite painful! :crybaby:

Well, just spoken to my insurance company and... it will cost me £0 to have a Camcon modification. Just as I suspected, they didn't have a clue what it was, but having explained it to them, they have checked on their system and added it to my details (even though I haven't actually got it yet!).

:D :D :D

I didn't bother asking about the S/C I didn't want to push my luck!

My insurance this year was £1,650 ish - 24YO, 0 NCB, 0 points, fully comprehensive.

This is pretty expensive as it is and any increase would be quite painful! :crybaby:

ouch

I think I would get the bus !

That's the price you pay for having just written off your last car! Peugeot 106 1.1 R reg. Writing that car off, was the best thing I ever did in that car...well not quite the best :winky:

I knew the insurance would be vast, but the car is worth it!

Have you tried Elephant? I just turned 23, 0 no claims, fully comp, and I got a quote for £900 (and that's including when the car got stolen last year) :o

ouch

I think I would get the bus !

That's the price you pay for having just written off your last car! Peugeot 106 1.1 R reg. Writing that car off, was the best thing I ever did in that car...well not quite the best :winky:

I knew the insurance would be vast, but the car is worth it!

I know that feeling of writing cars off, being an old git, I once had a Green :sick: cortina for a week and wrote it off, felt like ages before I did not have to mention it when getting quotes, I was still paying for the car 12 months later, had 5 points for 5 years ? and a fine. Other guy had a broken vertabrae though, so I should look on the bright side - oh yeah the ins co did not pay him out for two years !

IS is worth what ever it costs to insure I agree - its just a great car to drive, whether steady away or bonkers.

I'll certainly look into Elephant for next year.

I reckon once the accidents happened you've just got to accept it. Especially if it was your fault, as mine was. Otherwise you could end up bitter and twisted and that would spoil the fun of driving the IS200!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links