Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is500!

gears

$50-$60 thousand dollars. Thats pretty much how much a well specced IS 250 is costing over here. I can bet if it ever comes out here it will be closer to 50-60 thousand pounds which is Porsche 911/ BMW M5 / Mercedez E55 AMG territory. Looks good though. Hopefully if they make 3.0 litre one and it doesn't cost the earth i could be tempted.

• 1 month later...

Been chatting with various industry contacts and have heard that IS500 is definitely a goer.

The 5.0 litre engine recently launched in the new LS600h will be used in Lexus' M3 competitor. No one yet knows what separates this from the 4.6 litre V8 engine based on the older 4.3 litre unit already seen in GS and LS models. Other forums report 5.0 litre unit as having a new direct injection system, reduced emissions and fuel consumption technology, rather than just more power.

According to what I've seen in Japanese magazine JDH and heard, a more powerful engine than the 4.6 V8 is preferred because of the extra weight added by an AWD system! Other rumours suggest that IS500 will also have LS460's new 8-speed gearbox, but neither feature has been confirmed. What we do know is that Lexus is concerned about making a car that doesn't have usable power or that is hard to drive because of its extra power. Like Audi's RS4, Lexus' high performance IS will have predictable handling on the limit and a host of electronic driver aids (VDIM+) to keep it honest when limits are exceeded. I suspect that Nanny State electronics may be able to toned-down rather than turned-off.

If IS500 is lighter than RS4, has more power, better fuel consumption and AWD, then Audi could be in trouble. Best news of all is that uber-Lexus would undercut all competitors by quite a margin. If true, next gen M3 could also be in trouble.

Various pictures of IS500 mules have been shown in Japanese car mags. Reported horsepower is 420 bhp. Lexus must realise that this car must deliver a sub 5.0 second 0-60 time. More important, it must have great R&H.

We should see this car either at Detroit 2007 or Geneva 2007 as a 2008 model, i.e. release date of September 2007. Its release should coincide with the launch of the IS coupe and hard-top coupe convertible, i.e. IS500 will be available as both Saloon and Coupe versions.

Interesting to see how Lexus want to go with their models. They do need some real high performance models in their lineup to improve the brand image amongst younger drivers.

Unfortunately, over here in the UK, there's way too much badge snobbery to warrant Lexus being taken seriously for some time. Not that Lexus HQ are worried since their biggest market is the US.

I fear it will take 10 or 20 years at least before Lexus is no longer regarded as a Poor Man's Merc and as a serious rival to the German brands. Until such time, I don't see the vast majority of M3/RS4 purchasers switching over to a Lexus.

Until such time, I don't see the vast majority of M3/RS4 purchasers switching over to a Lexus.

Why not? Didn't take too long for the LS to establish itself as a serious rival to the S-Class and 7-Series.

In the US yes, but it hasn't really established itself in the UK as a serious rival, even though it's a lovely car. Lexus GB sell one LS430 every day. That hardly makes a dent in S class sales (I can't find MB sales figure on the net). Consider that most executive chaffeuring firms are running S classes. Certainly in Central London, you see S classes everywhere, with the rich and famous inside them...

People who spend 50 large on a car are pretty savvy consumers who often want their choice of car to fit in with their status and image. At the moment, the brand image of Lexus in the UK is pretty much non-existant (when compared to German motors). I still meet folks who have never heard of Lexus.

Taken from Wikipedia

"Automotive analysts have pointed out that Lexus has been so successful in North America because the wide consumer base of Toyota and in particular the baby boomers wanted something more luxurious as they were becoming older and their surplus incomes were allowing them to migrate to brands such as Mercedes-Benz and BMW. The huge success of Lexus was in part due to the fact that its higher levels of quality and cut-rate prices enabled it to retain those migrating customers and keep them "in the family".

However, this also had negative repurcussions as Lexus gradually cemented an image of cut-rate brand, which would offer similarly equipped cars at tens of thousands of dollars less than its primary competitors, Mercedes-Benz and BMW. The former chief of BMW, Eberhard von Kuenhiem predicted that this strategy would work to some extent in US, but not in Europe, where the words premium and luxury do not go well with cut-rate pricing. Some automotive experts believe that Lexus' failure to woo European customers and its very slow incremental increase in European arena is because of the serious damage Lexus has done to its brand image. This has LED some automotive thinkers to believe that unless Lexus prices its products head-to-head with the European premium brands and emphasizes its superior quality, reliability and engineering, it will not be able to succeed globally."

Have a read of these articles. As much as I love Lexus cars, looking at things rationally, Lexus are trying to push water uphill in the UK.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...428/1148/AUTO01

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/...0215_597701.htm

Sorry for going off tangent ;-)

Until such time, I don't see the vast majority of M3/RS4 purchasers switching over to a Lexus.

Why not? Didn't take too long for the LS to establish itself as a serious rival to the S-Class and 7-Series.

In the US yes, but it hasn't really established itself in the UK as a serious rival, even though it's a lovely car. Lexus GB sell one LS430 every day. That hardly makes a dent in S class sales (I can't find MB sales figure on the net). Consider that most executive chaffeuring firms are running S classes. Certainly in Central London, you see S classes everywhere, with the rich and famous inside them...

People who spend 50 large on a car are pretty savvy consumers who often want their choice of car to fit in with their status and image. At the moment, the brand image of Lexus in the UK is pretty much non-existant (when compared to German motors). I still meet folks who have never heard of Lexus.

Taken from Wikipedia

"Automotive analysts have pointed out that Lexus has been so successful in North America because the wide consumer base of Toyota and in particular the baby boomers wanted something more luxurious as they were becoming older and their surplus incomes were allowing them to migrate to brands such as Mercedes-Benz and BMW. The huge success of Lexus was in part due to the fact that its higher levels of quality and cut-rate prices enabled it to retain those migrating customers and keep them "in the family".

However, this also had negative repurcussions as Lexus gradually cemented an image of cut-rate brand, which would offer similarly equipped cars at tens of thousands of dollars less than its primary competitors, Mercedes-Benz and BMW. The former chief of BMW, Eberhard von Kuenhiem predicted that this strategy would work to some extent in US, but not in Europe, where the words premium and luxury do not go well with cut-rate pricing. Some automotive experts believe that Lexus' failure to woo European customers and its very slow incremental increase in European arena is because of the serious damage Lexus has done to its brand image. This has LED some automotive thinkers to believe that unless Lexus prices its products head-to-head with the European premium brands and emphasizes its superior quality, reliability and engineering, it will not be able to succeed globally."

Have a read of these articles. As much as I love Lexus cars, looking at things rationally, Lexus are trying to push water uphill in the UK.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...428/1148/AUTO01

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/...0215_597701.htm

Sorry for going off tangent ;-)

Good lord what a load of BMW spin there folks-----i wrote a paper on the lexus strategy in the USA and that stuff above is rubbish.

Lexus stuffed bm and merc becuase the brands let quality slide and traded off image.

Lexus are now in some cases more expensive than bm and merc, yet still outsell them. "the strategy would work to some extent"!!!!!What, since the 80s????!!!!!

Lexus hasn`t been the mover over here becuase of a number of factors

1)no aggressive push because of "fortress europe" especially in the german heartland.

2)its far simpler to take on an "export" market and compete than a domestic market with entrenched competition.

3)no oil burners. The ratio differential between europe and the usa is huge, but that is slowly changing 'cos of oil prices.

4)lexus did not suffer a cut price image. they did not have an image in the first place. they did cement loyalty and massive reputation though and this has lasted for 3 decades.

5)most british middle class are sheeple whose status and ***** size is determined by a white and blue circle on the front of their car................otherwise how to explain that s far superior marque has less sales than something that is the ultimate driving machine in an m25 traffic jam?

6)Lexus will undoubtedly target the chinese market for their next big foray, as this is where the 2nd biggest market and new money will be.

7)dinky lickle island with entrenched class system and inherent snobbery, or 235 million car turnover per year land mass with higher disposable income..................which would you concentrate on? :D :duh:

Remember last year Lexus was voted one of the most prestigeous brands over and above BMW and Merc. Should someone who gets out more often know what a Lexus is, see their reaction if they ask what you drive.

I do however think that picture should be forwarded on to Lexus HQ :D thats the sort of thing Lexus need! Not all about profit but would have that wow factor!

Main problem in the UK is that most people are badge snobs. I drive an IS200 and some people that I know (friends/family/colleagues included) refer to it as a 'posh Toyota', 'jumped up taxi', 'Lexoyta', 'poor man's Merc' etc. Have a look at a BMW/Mercedes forum, you'll come across such pharses.....I've always said to these kinds of people "look beyond the badge on the front of the car, do your research, look at the JD Powers/Top Gear survey, you'll find Lexus placed a lot higher in terms of customer satisfaction and reliability compared to the German brands............Lexus must be doing something right......"

Drive something special, drive something unique............this is why I drive a Lexus.

I've always said to these kinds of people "look beyond the badge on the front of the car, do your research, look at the JD Powers/Top Gear survey, you'll find Lexus placed a lot higher in terms of customer satisfaction and reliability compared to the German brands............Lexus must be doing something right......"

You're obviously a lot nicer than me then. I generally say something a little more concise... :lol:

Si

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links