Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

First post here - so be gentle...

I've got quite a simple question - are people paying the full ticket price on the 400h or should we be aiming for a little bit off? I know it's a new and popular model, but the thought of paying list just hurts! We won't be going for finance, just a straight cash purchase.

We've got a T-plate Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 with 30k on the clock, any idea if it would make sense to trade it in?

many thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

I ordered my 400h back in October, got it last Saturday. Back then I managed a 4% discount, so effectively got 1800 off the price.

Tactics used:

Went and met the dealer - had test drive, left.

Thought about it, phoned dealer a few times to ask sensible questions

Decided I wanted one.

Phoned dealer went through spec of what I wanted, then said "OK, you work out how much that would be, then phone me back and we can discuss how much I am actually going to pay for it"

Dealer came back with "I'll split the 5% margin with you" so 2.5% discount - but he did not discount the extras, like tow bar, tracker, sat nav etc.

Bit more haggling and I got it from 44,805 to 43,000.

You definitely should not be paying full ticket price.

Hope this helps

Jon

PS - on other new cars I have bought in the past 4 years (Clio 172 and Peugeot 307 - both for the wife) I just sat down and said give me 5% off and I'll sign now - that also worked. I think the way the car market is at the moment you can get massive discounts on most cars - just look at www.broadspeed.co.uk

PPS - Friend of mine just orders a BMW - total price 33,000 he's paying 30,000 so even BMW are on the ropes!

I went onto www.drivethedeal.co.uk and found what they'd give me on a RX300...about 7%, BUT that is with no trade in...I managed to get 5% off the dealer with a reasonable trade in. I was told 5% is what the dealer makes...and that the other 2% was based on bonus's etc so they were just not prepared to negotiate that bit at all.

Personally I'd look for a 6 month old ex-demo one and save a few ££...scary amount of depreciation on the RX300's in the first 6 months, presuming RX400 should be better but still will drop a lot initially.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian,

look in the lexus website and email a set of dealers from around the country stating your interest, requesting a quote and that you have a car to trade in. Most of the dealers will be happy to deliver the car to you so no need to stick local. If you are lucky, you may find that two or three of the dealers have one in stock that you can take immediately if you are prepared to take their colour / spec through orders being reneged on. Once you have found three that want to talk with you and are prepared to be flexible, deal with all three and they will offer you a more realistic deal to win the business from the others. These are tough times for car dealers. The trade in will give you an easier route to get a discount: rather than explicitly discounting the car they can offer you a more generous trade in value than your existing car is worth. Shop around and be prepared to walk away.

Good time of year to look at ex-demo's... I was in Lexus Glasgow and know they're in the process of selling off their demos....that is what I'll be looking for next time, hopefully save a few ££

Hi all,

I've got quite a simple question - are people paying the full ticket price on the 400h or should we be aiming for a little bit off? I know it's a new and popular model, but the thought of paying list just hurts! We won't be going for finance, just a straight cash purchase.

We've got a T-plate Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 with 30k on the clock, any idea if it would make sense to trade it in?

many thanks

Ian

I just bought a rx 400h se with sat nav, this week and managed to get 6% off and trade in my 3 year Honda CRV for a decent price.

I test drove one at my local dealer and she gave me her best price, then phoned a few other dealers and found out that 6% seemed to be pretty much the norm. Then I went back to her and she matched it. there seem to be quite a few of these cars available at the moment.

The car is fab by the way

Bev

LS430 I was offered this car top of the range adaptive criuse ect for the sum of 45K, thats a 57K car ( at least) for 45K, New model on it's way (460) I turned it down though, got 20% off a new (in september) audi 4.2 A8 TDI fully speced up with full sports options, + pax system run flat 19" wheels ect, ect,retail 64K my price £51200 and thats on order for september.

Lexus do not like discounting and consequently dont sell many cars. :D

Hi all,

many thanks

Ian

I just traded my Sept 2003 Cherokee 3.7 LTD (mint condition less than 17k on the clock) for a RX300 LE. At first I was offered £9500 after a week dealer came back and after a little will you take this, no, well how about this much, I managed to get over £12500. Not the best deal ever but when the350 comes out there will not be a LE so I'd be looking at 37k for a 350 with leather and metallic paint.

I just traded my Sept 2003 Cherokee 3.7 LTD (mint condition less than 17k on the clock) for a RX300 LE. At first I was offered £9500 after a week dealer came back and after a little will you take this, no, well how about this much, I managed to get over £12500.

:) Hopefull thats a good price for a 53 plate (september) you did well, but you know the new 350 model will knock down your re-sale value of the 300LE but just keep it a couple of years and go negotiate again. :winky:

LS430 I was offered this car top of the range adaptive criuse ect for the sum of 45K, thats a 57K car ( at least) for 45K, New model on it's way (460) I turned it down though, got 20% off a new (in september) audi 4.2 A8 TDI fully speced up with full sports options, + pax system run flat 19" wheels ect, ect,retail 64K my price £51200 and thats on order for september.

The bigger the discount they give the more the cars depreciate...so I for one understand why they dont give massive discounts.

That was an impressive amount off the A8.....

Perhaps they consider their cars to be adequately discounted already.

They're certainly good value up against a fully loaded Mercedes or BMW.

Some people just aren't happy unless they can get what they consider a "bargain", ie a negotiated price.

bill

The bigger the discount they give the more the cars depreciate...so I for one understand why they dont give massive discounts.

That was an impressive amount off the A8.....

Fergy, I had to scour the UK for a good while for the deal I got on the A8 4.2, I only lost 3K on the 3.0TDI A8 I have PXed, and I still get to drive it until september. Not bad Aye. :)

I lost more in 3 months PXing the RX300SE for the GS300SE than I have after one year with the A8.

• 3 months later...

Got my brand new unregistered 06 plate RX400SE in my preferred colours with dealer extras last Friday. Total on the road should have been £43,800, signed up for a cash deal at £39,300 !!

So the discounts are there you just have to get the right time, patience is key!!

Got my brand new unregistered 06 plate RX400SE in my preferred colours with dealer extras last Friday. Total on the road should have been £43,800, signed up for a cash deal at £39,300 !!

So the discounts are there you just have to get the right time, patience is key!!

:winky: Nice one, they must be having a change of heart. :winky:

Hi Ian,

look in the lexus website and email a set of dealers from around the country stating your interest, requesting a quote and that you have a car to trade in. Most of the dealers will be happy to deliver the car to you so no need to stick local. If you are lucky, you may find that two or three of the dealers have one in stock that you can take immediately if you are prepared to take their colour / spec through orders being reneged on. Once you have found three that want to talk with you and are prepared to be flexible, deal with all three and they will offer you a more realistic deal to win the business from the others. These are tough times for car dealers. The trade in will give you an easier route to get a discount: rather than explicitly discounting the car they can offer you a more generous trade in value than your existing car is worth. Shop around and be prepared to walk away.

The only point that I would add is to try to find out what their customer service is like. This can be very important.

My experience of Lexus Newcastle is first class. They fought my case and got me a replacement new car to be delivered in october (New upgraded model). Other people have failed to get satisfaction. Also my limited contact with Lexus Bradford has been very good.

I suggest you look at some of the threads to establish where some people have had good and bad experiences.

Billy

Hi Ian,

The only point that I would add is to try to find out what their customer service is like. This can be very important.

My experience of Lexus Newcastle is first class. They fought my case and got me a replacement new car to be delivered in october (New upgraded model). Other people have failed to get satisfaction. Also my limited contact with Lexus Bradford has been very good.

I suggest you look at some of the threads to establish where some people have had good and bad experiences.

Billy

Hi, did you manage to get a replacement RX due to a fault on the vehicle? If so what was the fault and how long did you have the car for ?

Hi Ian,

Billy

Hi, did you manage to get a replacement RX due to a fault on the vehicle? If so what was the fault and how long did you have the car for ?

The fault started 30 mins before I drove it out of the show room. They thought they had fixed it by reinitialisingthe ECU. It came back after 10 days. The fault affected the power steering and the brakes. They took it away for 2 or 3 weeks and brought it back. This happened a total of 4 times since I got it in Sept 05. I guess I have driven the car for about 3 months in total. After the last time I told them I was rejecting the car and not to bring it back. Lexus GB accepted Lexus Newcastle's view that the car was unsafe and agreed to provide a new vehicle.

I haven't got it yet so please don't quote my case until I get it in October :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links