Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

If you'd said what you were after in your original post, you might have got some constructive replies!!

Mine gives me a 0-60mph of around 8 seconds, yours appears to be around 14-15, yes yours is quite slow.

I appreciate what you're saying - davepruce. But how responsible am I for what someone else ASSUMES.

That said...

Thanks for the info.

Do you happen to know how long your car takes to get to 100 mph?

Mine take 33 seconds. I'm not sure how long a 1993 LS should take - but that seems awfully SLOW.

Craig

Nope - sorry - I dont do that sort of thing now! My LS is now 13 years old with 156k on the clock, I treat her gently, altho having said that I do tow a large heavy caravan around with it frequently!!!

However - when I first got it 4 years ago, I gave it a blast and got to a very silly speed very quickly and I dont think its changed much!

Sounds like you are having big probs with yours, I'd look at HT leads, spark plugs, throttle body for starters.

Look on Lexls.com at the tutorials if you need some good help on how to do these things

Good Luck

Dave

Hi, i have the autocar magazine from jan 1995 with a full 8 page report on the lexus ls400 95+

acceleration from rest:

0-60 = 7.4 sec

0-100 = 20.8 sec

standing quarter 16.4sec/89 mph

maximum speeds:

1st: 53mph 2nd 81mph 3rd 124mph 4th 155mph

price new £43,163

mpg 18.9

The rivals on the test are.

range rover 4.6he 4 stars

mercedes s420 5 stars which won the group test, beat lexus on ride quality, but cost £56,100

jaguar xj6 4.0 sov only 3 stars

bmw 740i 3 stars

audi a8 4 stars (nice car)

and the lexus got 4 stars and was very close to winning

Thanks Dave AND toffla!! :)

I appreciate the information.

According to Car & Driver - my 1993 LS should reach 60 mph in 8.6 seconds [Motor Trend says 8.2 seconds] and 100 mph in 20.8 seconds. As you can well imagine - the fact that my LS takes an additional 12 seconds to reach 100 mph is very frustrating. Lots of things have been done to the car to resolve the problem - but nothings helped. My Lexus mechanics are baffled. They can't figure out what's wrong. Do I often speed up to 100 mph? Not at all. In fact - I rarely do. But that's hardly the point. If you bought a Ferrari and its top speed was limited to 70 MPH - would you be OK with that? [even if you hardly ever go beyond 70] Just knowing that your car COULD - IF you wanted it to - get up to speed quickly - is what makes for a confidence inspiring automobile.

In the past two years [since I've owned it - basically] the following things have been replaced with new.

- spark plugs

- spark plug wires

- fuel pump

- fuel filter

- O2 Sensors [the two front ones]

- throttle position sensor

- MAP sensor

- distributors, rotors and PCV valve

[plus a few other things like the power steering pump, timing belt, water pump and lower ball joints - but I doubt those things were causing my car to be so painfully slow!!]

Also - all the valves have been adjusted.

It's interesting - Dave - that you should mention the throttle body. It's never been looked at because the engine idles smoothly. But maybe it should be cleaned anyway. What I do wonder about is the throttle cable. When the valves were adjusted - the camshafts [along with the valves] were removed from the engine. [so I was told] When they did that - would they have disconnected the throttle cable? And if so - could my problem simply be that when reconnecting the cable - they didn't do it right?! [i'm thinking out loud - basically] Also - what are HT leads?!

Thanks,

Craig!! :)

Thanks Dave AND toffla!! :)

I appreciate the information.

According to Car & Driver - my 1993 LS should reach 60 mph in 8.6 seconds [Motor Trend says 8.2 seconds] and 100 mph in 20.8 seconds. As you can well imagine - the fact that my LS takes an additional 12 seconds to reach 100 mph is very frustrating. Lots of things have been done to the car to resolve the problem - but nothings helped. My Lexus mechanics are baffled. They can't figure out what's wrong. Do I often speed up to 100 mph? Not at all. In fact - I rarely do. But that's hardly the point. If you bought a Ferrari and its top speed was limited to 70 MPH - would you be OK with that? [even if you hardly ever go beyond 70] Just knowing that your car COULD - IF you wanted it to - get up to speed quickly - is what makes for a confidence inspiring automobile.

In the past two years [since I've owned it - basically] the following things have been replaced with new.

- spark plugs

- spark plug wires

- fuel pump

- fuel filter

- O2 Sensors [the two front ones]

- throttle position sensor

- MAP sensor

- distributors, rotors and PCV valve

[plus a few other things like the power steering pump, timing belt, water pump and lower ball joints - but I doubt those things were causing my car to be so painfully slow!!]

Also - all the valves have been adjusted.

It's interesting - Dave - that you should mention the throttle body. It's never been looked at because the engine idles smoothly. But maybe it should be cleaned anyway. What I do wonder about is the throttle cable. When the valves were adjusted - the camshafts [along with the valves] were removed from the engine. [so I was told] When they did that - would they have disconnected the throttle cable? And if so - could my problem simply be that when reconnecting the cable - they didn't do it right?! [i'm thinking out loud - basically] Also - what are HT leads?!

Thanks,

Craig!! :)

HT Leads are Spark Plug Wires ( HT stands for high tension and they need to be as they carry around 25,000 volts to create the spark at the plugs)

As Steve2006 so rightly says, High Tension Leads = Spark Wires (2 countries separated by the same language!!).

My throttle body was really thick with carbon when I cleaned it, and it did make a difference when I did it, but whether it would account for the problem that you are having is another matter (unlikely to be the whole problem!).

I have had no trouble with acceleration apart from it was a bit 'bobbly' when I first got it which was solved by plugs and leads.

Sounds like you spent a lot of time and money on yours and its a shame that it hasnt given you the car as it should be.

Good Luck

Dave

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links