Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS200 Security

kamlex

I have not experienced any probs but then i live in the countryside. If you are going to get a tracking device, spend a bit of time checking out costs etc, the lexus dealer may not be the cheapest- i looked into getting one fitted but the quotes varied by about £150 for the same product!!!!!! The normal tracker works on radio waves and has a range of about 3 miles, a friend who is in the police also said that they have had probs getting accurate signals with that type of system.

I think the best is the GPS system but it will cost more.

Also remember the IS has come top for 2 years running in the security tests.

look into it a bit more, before making ur decision - u can always get it fitted afterwards!

robbie.

[Edited on 23-2-2002 by fluff34567]

TRACKER requires a police car being in the area when your device is activated. RAC TRACKSTAR uses GPS and activates automatically if the car is moved without the ignition being switched on.

have a look here for a review of the tracking devices.

www.autoexpress.co.uk

go to the product tests and scroll down to the end of the list and look for "Trackers"

this should help in making a decision, but the review only covers the GPS/GSM types not the normal radio wave ones.

robbie.

[Edited on 23-2-2002 by fluff34567]

I was under the impression that Tracker & RAC Tracstar are the same thing?? My question really is not which type of tracker to install, but whether you guys are happy with the IS200 security, and whether yours cars have attracted the attention of thieves. Basically, is it worth spending £700 for a tracking device? Thanks for your help.

well i am happy with the security, but i always use a steering lock as well.

But there has been some press about a security flaw which allows access to the car very easily ( i will investigate this tomo)

it all depends, if u have plenty of mods, such as some of the other members which would cost a lot to replace then i suppose it will be worth it as the insurance will never cover the whole amount.

robbie

The system Lexus offers is the RAC trackstar and you can get it much cheaper away from Lexus.

The real question is "where do you live" I live in North East Scotland and car crime is low. I still fit a steering lock though it deters the opertunist. If you live in London or Birmingham then fit as much as you can.

But there has been some press about a security flaw which allows access to the car very easily ( i will investigate this tomo)

robbie

hi , i did some checking and this so called 'security flaw' is nothing to worry about, as far as im concerned it would be a major hastle to try and exploit it.

Please dont ask me to tell you what it is!

robbie.

Hi, thanks for your comments. I'll give it some more thought before i decide. 'Unfortunatley' i do live in London! It seems to me that most people do not have a tracking device and are happy with the Lexus security. Could you help me a bit further and tell me what type of stering lock you use. When i looked on the Autoexpress website, the DiskLok came out tops. Any experience with this or others. Thanks.

i use the autolock 2000, when i got mine it was the best in the test ( 2 yrs ago) but Disklok has redesigned theirs since then.

I can only speak for the autolock - the lock mechanism is sometimes fiddly to use and to be honest it is a major pain in the arse, the locking mechanism looks a bit cheap but seems to work ok. my friend has the disklok, the advantage of that is it covers the whole steering wheel and rotates around it, and the bar folds inside the cover, and i believe the disk also folds inside itself to make it a more smaller when not in use.

another option is a device called " bullock" it clamps around the clutch and brake pedals, i have used this many times in S.Africa, where it is very popular. http://www.bullock.it/inglese/tipe.html

robbie.

It all depends on how much you value your car and how much you are willing to spend to protect it. Will you sleep easier if your car has a tracking device on it? Will you avoid certain car-parks if it doesn't? If yes to either-then start saving your pennies!:yes: