Sign in to follow this  
mwoodruff

Replacing Cv Boots

The inner cv boot on my 90 LS is ripped open, and the other three are close to going (they're leaking.) Is it standard to go ahead and replace the drive shafts with rebuilt ones or just clean up, repack and put new boots on the old shafts? Vehicle has 146k on it. Thanks..................

Jst replace the boots

Bear in mind.. if these have been in this condition for a long time then you may find that they will be worn and knocky when you pack them with grease as this realseases the ceased joints.

best change the boots ASAP :)

exactly - you should just need to replace the boots providing that the CV joints are not worn.

Isn't it easier to just pick up a set up rebuilt axle's with a lifetime warranty and not mess with repacking them myself?

Isn't it easier to just pick up a set up rebuilt axle's with a lifetime warranty and not mess with repacking them myself?

it is yes if thats the route you wish to go......however replacing the boots is much cheaper

I think that's what I'll do. I just pulled them, came out easier than I thought they would. I can get them rebuilt with a lifetime warranty for about $80 per side. Replacing the boots would definitely be cheaper though............... :yawn:

Man this board is ssssssssslow. Thought I'd post a follow up. Had both axles rebuilt for $140, parts alone (boots)were than that from the local dealer. Had it all buttoned back up in an hour and a half. Easy job.

ah! - now i see what you mean.

Of course boots from the dealer are going to be expensive, you never buy things like that from the dealer! They are all made by outside companies and just get put in a toyota/lexus box and get a huge price increase.

may as well just go to car depot? or or something like that.

robs right

I paid £60 for a inner and outer boot (had to buy pair)... the inner boot did not need replacing.. so on the other side i bought a Camry boot for £14 instead.. looked exactly the same.

Man this board is ssssssssslow.

Not sure what you mean by slow... but the questions were answered for you. ;)

Question was answered, and that's great. I mean it's slow because 24hrs went by and my post was the only one in maintenance.

Maintenance does not as many posts like others do.

Also because we are a smaller market in the UK than US boards they are not as active. But we try our best to help :)