Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d (i Hope You're Sitting Down)

Hi,

I took delivery of my 220D on Friday - promised date was end march - and drove it to/from Dublin.

After reading all the posts I was apprehensive about rattles, fuel economy and wind noise - mainly fuel economy though.

Total distance about 510 Km (319ml) and the computer is showing fuel usage at 6.9 l/100km (I make that 41.2 mpg). I am happy with that on the first tank - most of my driving will be of this type.

Couple of other comments -

Found it awkward to select some gears (1/2) but not a big problem.

Standard sound system very good - clear sound.

I was happy with the overall noise levels of the car.

One small thing that irritates me - the rear view mirror vibrates so you cannot see the image clearly.

Didn't have this in my last car, an Avensis 2.0 D4D, so was not expecting it in the cousin.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One small thing that irritates me - the rear view mirror vibrates so you cannot see the image clearly.

Didn't have this in my last car, an Avensis 2.0 D4D, so was not expecting it in the cousin.

Jim

I found it awkward to select some gears for a while too (mainly 2nd), but already it's loosened up and isn't a problem any more.

Agree with you on the rear view mirror too! Had a look at it today, I reckon it's the mounting that's causing it - rather than any inherrent vibration from the engine.

I do have a slight, and I mean very slight, rattle from somewhere over on the passenger side - seems to be from behind the footwell/glovebox. Tempted just to leave it for a while, as it's not really bothering me. Anyone had anything similar, or have any ideas on the cause?

Jim

I found it awkward to select some gears for a while too (mainly 2nd), but already it's loosened up and isn't a problem any more.

Agree with you on the rear view mirror too! Had a look at it today, I reckon it's the mounting that's causing it - rather than any inherrent vibration from the engine.

I do have a slight, and I mean very slight, rattle from somewhere over on the passenger side - seems to be from behind the footwell/glovebox. Tempted just to leave it for a while, as it's not really bothering me. Anyone had anything similar, or have any ideas on the cause?

Romaro,

I had that same rattle in mine - behind the glovebox. It's now totally rattle free (the dealer sorted it).

My dealer principal explained that unless customers immediately get a new car sorted out Lexus will not know of any common "teething" troubles - so no matter how trivial, get it booked in asap. It helps to update the "product information" that all dealers access, and they can apply a fix, report it to LGB etc etc. Very very important on a new model...

Other than that I too am surprised at how the car is running in. The vibrating mirror is a slight nuisance, but then those massive door mirrors make up for that!! It's still is loosening up, and the engine is getting smoother (IMHO).

We covered 193 miles yesterday, it spent most of it's time in 6th on the M1, ranging between 70-78mph (accidentally of course) and averaged 42.5mpg for the journey. Not bad, but certainly not brilliant either!! However, with every mile the car feels "fleeter in foot".

The 1/2 gear change is smooth on mine, but it's a noisy afair, almost "un synchromesh". The noise reminds me of a 1972 K Plate Mini a mate of mine used to have in 1985! I'm gonna "wis it" into my local later this week.

hi

As far as the ist to second gearchange Lexus have told me that there is a switch under the gearbox that changes the tolerance and makes the change much smoother ..done on mine and now ist to second is 100%

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

hi

As far as the ist to second gearchange Lexus have told me that there is a switch under the gearbox that changes the tolerance and makes the change much smoother ..done on mine and now ist to second is 100%

Alan

Yes the dealer told me all the new gearboxes are set up in this way but the switch allows the older ones to be adjusted

alan

Just for the record. I'm averaging 40.7 mpg from my IS220d Sport for the first tankful, which is actually more than the quoted figures. And I've been "testing" the huge torque too :winky:

Marvelous!! Now I wish I'd had the Sport!!! Seriously, suppose it shows you actually use 6th more anyway.

That sounds good actually.

Just for the record. I'm averaging 40.7 mpg from my IS220d Sport for the first tankful, which is actually more than the quoted figures. And I've been "testing" the huge torque too :winky:

Marvelous!! Now I wish I'd had the Sport!!! Seriously, suppose it shows you actually use 6th more anyway.

I use 6th from about 55mph on motorway, and its in the sweet spot from 60mph.

I'm jealous :(

I'm jealous :(

Having thort about it, it should be the same...'cos technically I reckon you'll be at 1800ish rpm in 6th at 60mph for it to be "sweet"???? So we're in 5th, you're in sixth - same speed same rpm...??? yes? No?

I've now done 1000 miles and average is 42 mpg from a equal mix of city/motorway/a-roads. The best I got was 54mpg on a 180 mile trip which was 90% motorway doing 60-70mpg in 5th. 6th gear is currently useless below 80mph so haven't used it yet.

I've now done 1000 miles and average is 42 mpg from a equal mix of city/motorway/a-roads. The best I got was 54mpg on a 180 mile trip which was 90% motorway doing 60-70mpg in 5th. 6th gear is currently useless below 80mph so haven't used it yet.

Haf - more or less what I'm getting. One things for sure though, the town economy is getting much better. Gone are the low 20's.

For the last 3 weeks the car has only been driven in town. Shortish trips, no more than 7 miles each time. Been using hire cars for work :sick: and now they keep giving me Vauxhalls....

I'm seeing 28mpg ave most of the time in my 220d in town (and I reset the Trip 2 weeks ago). It's not brilliant, but the first journey (approx 1-2 miles of 20-40mph and one or 2 stops only) was nudging close to 35mph mark...so I believe you have to be lucky to hit the 36mpg quoted officially, but it is achievable.

But again, I can live with that. It's better than the Petrol "manual" courtesy car from my experience by between 7-12 mpg which is all you can expect in town anyway. In town and driven gently in similar conditions the manual V6 250 was achieving 21.5-23mpg only (and at the start on a straight piece of road read 27mpg)...and I was sticking it into 5th from 30mph :whistling: and dawdling just to prove that I had not made a huge mistake...

Any V6 250 owners honestly getting better than that in pure town driving? The auto might be better?

Haf - more or less what I'm getting. One things for sure though, the town economy is getting much better. Gone are the low 20's.

For the last 3 weeks the car has only been driven in town. Shortish trips, no more than 7 miles each time. Been using hire cars for work :sick: and now they keep giving me Vauxhalls....

I'm seeing 28mpg ave most of the time in my 220d in town (and I reset the Trip 2 weeks ago). It's not brilliant, but the first journey (approx 1-2 miles of 20-40mph and one or 2 stops only) was nudging close to 35mph mark...so I believe you have to be lucky to hit the 36mpg quoted officially, but it is achievable.

But again, I can live with that. It's better than the Petrol "manual" courtesy car from my experience by between 7-12 mpg which is all you can expect in town anyway. In town and driven gently in similar conditions the manual V6 250 was achieving 21.5-23mpg only (and at the start on a straight piece of road read 27mpg)...and I was sticking it into 5th from 30mph :whistling: and dawdling just to prove that I had not made a huge mistake...

Any V6 250 owners honestly getting better than that in pure town driving? The auto might be better?

I'd question the 7-12mpg in town for the petrol - unless you were drag racing between lights! :D

I have the 250 Auto and get 28-29 mpg consitently. The driving is back and from work which consists of half an hour nose to tail through twon and then a blast down the A19 to Hartlepool and back again at night. If I go on long runs on the motorway I get 34-36mpg and if I just drive in and out of town I get 24mpg.

Baiscally I like to put my foot down and still get 28mpg so I'm not complaining much.It usually works out at 350 miles or so between fill ups.

I'd question the 7-12mpg in town for the petrol - unless you were drag racing between lights! :D

:lol: no no no - I'm sensible with Courtesy cars... :blush: The auto is supposed to be more economical than the manual, so your figures sound about right...

I think you were saying your 220D is better than the petrol manual courtesy car by 7 to 12 mpg in town right? Rather than the petrol only managing 7-12 mpg! :ohmy:

I'm personally glad that I went for the diesel without giving the petrol a test...I'm sure I'd have been too tempted if I had! I did give a lot of thought to it and to me the decision came down to environmental reasons and the potential cost savings (not inconsiderable (depending on your definition of considerable), even if you're only doing 10,000 miles a year) - and the fact that while the petrol is definitely offering surprisingly good economy and the diesel has been disappointing for some, there's still a fair old difference between them.

And not that I'm one for gloating, but I appear to have accidentally pasted this image again:

dscf08100pr.jpg

(well there has to be some compensation for that rattly old diesel lump up front :P )

:lol: no no no - I'm sensible with Courtesy cars... :blush: The auto is supposed to be more economical than the manual, so your figures sound about right...

I

And not that I'm one for gloating, but I appear to have accidentally pasted this image again:

dscf08100pr.jpg

(well there has to be some compensation for that rattly old diesel lump up front :P )

That's nothing the AVG indicator was reading 65.3 mpg on my petrol the other day - have you got a faulty one??!

(I was on the motorway and I had just reset the trip.....)

I think if we are going to start comparing then a tank average is the only way. I could go and coast down the road, quick piccy and hey presto - I'm averaging 75mpg.

My best tank full so far (of all three of them!!!) - average 41mpg, that is with 75% A roads and town driving and a bit of motorway, AC always on

My worst (the last tankfull) was going to Manchester at the weekend for a stag do, 4 up, A/C all the way and getting a shift on :winky: was 36mpg average with what I've used so far, that includes two enormous traffic jams and the rest on the motorway at, well let's just say over 2000rpm in 6th :blink:

Not as good as some dervs but I'm well happy.

Oh I do love this forum....

Roonaldo, I ain't managed 60 or 65 yet...but no doubt I will....what period/duration/type of journey dod you see he 60mpg?

That's just amazing!!!

Okay, I'll tell you - as long as you stop calling me Roonaldo! :)

This figure was from a cold start, travelling through roughly 3 miles of city traffic and traffic lights, then on to clearer roads with speed limit of 30 to 50 mph and then the bulk of the journey was cruising around the New Forest at 40 mph - country roads which are quite up and down. And finally back through urban roads home. Was probably a little over half an hour in total.

I certainly wasn't driving fast, but neither was I driving like a grandad! I actually hit over 65mpg at one point, but it dropped back down as soon as I hit traffic lights. I'm finding that once it's warmed up, the economy does improve dramatically.

Oh, and that was when I had about 400 miles on the clock!

:lol::blush::withstupid:

PS Thanks. Now I feel great! the Missus is right - I'm going mad!

At least you made the very excellent choice of getting an IS before you lost the plot! :hehe:

Absolutely - if I'd lost it I might have bought a German car again....

:tomato:

Now it's time to get those underpants on my head, stick 2 pencils up my nose and say "Wibble"