Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d (i Hope You're Sitting Down)

Is it just me or is 6th gear in the 220d completely useless? I've had the car for a month and got approx 3000 miles on it but still can'y use 6th (as I don't drive above 75mph). I've also noticed that fuel economy in 6th is worse than doing the same speed in 5th (even though revs are much lower)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or is 6th gear in the 220d completely useless? I've had the car for a month and got approx 3000 miles on it but still can'y use 6th (as I don't drive above 75mph). I've also noticed that fuel economy in 6th is worse than doing the same speed in 5th (even though revs are much lower)

It can be worse...

At 70mph it's 2200ish rpm, same as my old A4... so sixth is an autobahn gear...! However, you can "Cruise" in 6th from 65mph depending on the gradient:

the rear view mirror becomes totally useless;

the engine makes a very "low thrumming sound";

you can feel the vibration;

you have very little throttle response;

fuel economy sometimes suffers;

you know it's not designed to use it and the manual says so so we should not expect it perform a miracle.

The car seems to give the best economy at max speeds of 70-73, using Cruise where-ever possible and not really red lining it...and in 5th. So as long as you're not tanking it, high 40's is available.

Just a final point. Even at 75+ in 6th, just 'cos the the RPM is below 2000, it does not mean that you getter fuel economy. The car spends huge effort in propelling the car forwards, and the faster you go the harder it is obviously is. So whilst the revs look good, it still needs the fuel...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it gets better

231 miles covered today, average speed 56mph, and MPG?

Trip showed 46.5mpg, achieved ...

wait for it

50.1!

never went over the limits (except once upto 78 when overtaking), and used 5th and 6th "smartly". At every down hill opportunity stuck her into 6th at speeds over 65mph. Used Cruise where ever possible, and never laboured up hill in 6th (or any gear for that matter).

It shows that you can get respectable economy. However, you really have to treat it gentle...and you can stick to speed limits!

well ive done 950 miles now and still only getting 32.7mpg...admittadly i dont spare the horses..but i didnt in my previous car either (mazda 6 1.8ts(petrol)) and that was returning 29mpg :duh:..oh..ive got a 220d

well ive done 950 miles now and still only getting 32.7mpg...admittadly i dont spare the horses..but i didnt in my previous car either (mazda 6 1.8ts(petrol)) and that was returning 29mpg :duh:..oh..ive got a 220d

Mazda 6 1.8 = lots less horses...and much less Torque and a lot less weight!! Having driven one in the past for a while it was very good, but slightly under powered. The 2 litre version was fantastic...

I find more and more that the 220d has very thirsty horses...but on a par with any diesel of 170+bhp. The more you use the turbo, the more it drinks!!

The BMW320d has fewer horses and a smaller engine capacity, plus it's a lighter car and different gearing. My understanding is that the the 220d is 250kg heavier than the 320d, that's like 2 WWF Wrestlers!!!

Therefore it's horses for courses!!

:lol:

Mazda 6 1.8 = lots less horses...and much less Torque and a lot less weight!! Having driven one in the past for a while it was very good, but slightly under powered. The 2 litre version was fantastic...

the mazda was much wider and imo heavier than the IS..and being underpowered as well a petrol engine would be heavier on the juice

the mazda was much wider and imo heavier than the IS..and being underpowered as well a petrol engine would be heavier on the juice

True partially.

I believe the Mazda is actually much lighter...it's just the 1.8 engine ran out of puff easily. The 2 litre flew like a bat out of hell!!

Mazda 6 1.8 Gross Weight (loaded) = 1825kg, Kerb weight = 1305 empty

New IS 220d Gross Weight = 2075kg, Kerb Weight not quoted on website, but will be approx 450-500KG's less, so lets say 1575ishKG

BMW 320d gross Weight = 1880 KG, Kerb Weight = 1435KG - so again much lighter than the Lex...at least 1.5 people or so!

So Lex is actually 250odd KG heavier (3 adult males or 2 wrestlers !!) than a Mazda 6. This will always adversely affect the fuel consumption, especially in town or under revs as there is much more dead weight to push around.

True partially.

I believe the Mazda is actually much lighter...it's just the 1.8 engine ran out of puff easily. The 2 litre flew like a bat out of hell!!

Mazda 6 1.8 Gross Weight (loaded) = 1825kg, Kerb weight = 1305 empty

New IS 220d Gross Weight = 2075kg, Kerb Weight not quoted on website, but will be approx 450-500KG's less, so lets say 1575ishKG

BMW 320d gross Weight = 1880 KG, Kerb Weight = 1435KG - so again much lighter than the Lex...at least 1.5 people or so!

So Lex is actually 250odd KG heavier (3 adult males or 2 wrestlers !!) than a Mazda 6. This will always adversely affect the fuel consumption, especially in town or under revs as there is much more dead weight to push around.

Just checking I found the Lexus kerb weight coming in at 1570kg (good guess Jamboo) and the 3 series coming in at 1505kg, so the difference is is about the same as a good middleweight boxer.

I've done 8000 miles now and have an average of 36 mpg. I've also tried different driving styles to reach some of the loft heights that others are getting, but no luck.

The best I managed was 41 mpg over 120 miles (this week) and I forcibly drove the car in sixth gear at 65 - 70 mph most of the time. It was not a pleasent experience; no power, massive vibration throughout the car and a constant booming noise. So, if that is what it takes to improve the economy then to be honest, I'm not going to bother and will stick to 70 mph in fifth. Next time round I wont be buying another Lexus diesel.

I've done 8000 miles now and have an average of 36 mpg. I've also tried different driving styles to reach some of the loft heights that others are getting, but no luck.

The best I managed was 41 mpg over 120 miles (this week) and I forcibly drove the car in sixth gear at 65 - 70 mph most of the time. It was not a pleasent experience; no power, massive vibration throughout the car and a constant booming noise. So, if that is what it takes to improve the economy then to be honest, I'm not going to bother and will stick to 70 mph in fifth. Next time round I wont be buying another Lexus diesel.

I think your is an exception matey...it just doesn't seem right to me.

I think you need to ask Lexus a few questions, and possibly get them to swop out your EMU.

Mine definately is a lot better in 6th, not ideal, but better, smoother and the thrumming (or booming) is less (maybe I'm just getting used to it).

The mirror is still useless in 6th....

I have 5600 km on the clock (3500 miles) and I have got an average of 7.2 l/100km (39mpg).

I upgraded from an avensis 2.0 D4D from which I was getting an average of 43 mpg.

I was expecting to lose a few mpg so I am reasonably happy with the fuel economy.

My mileage is about 50:50 urban - rural. V. little motorway or dual carriageway.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I've got an mpg to be happy about. I;ve been languishing in the 19-20 mpg range - almost all urban. But I filled her up yesterday and decided to start changing gears very early and basically let the car drive as opposed to me revving (which is how I like to drive) and loe and behold I've achieved 29-30 mpg all urban.

I've been changing gears as follows:

2nd at 10 mph

3rd at 20 mph

4th at 28 mph

5th at 33 mph

It might not be amazing and is certainly a slow, detached and boring way to drive but it makes my pocket that much lighter.

Finally I've got an mpg to be happy about. I;ve been languishing in the 19-20 mpg range - almost all urban. But I filled her up yesterday and decided to start changing gears very early and basically let the car drive as opposed to me revving (which is how I like to drive) and loe and behold I've achieved 29-30 mpg all urban.

2nd at 10 mph

3rd at 20 mph

4th at 28 mph

5th at 33 mph

It might not be amazing and is certainly a slow, detached and boring way to drive but it makes my pocket that much lighter.

....without any Turbo kick at all - zero response from the engine... :sick:

2nd at 10 mph

3rd at 20 mph

4th at 28 mph

5th at 33 mph

....without any Turbo kick at all - zero response from the engine... :sick:

Jambo. By the way what are Carlack68 AIO/Long Life SG, P21S Carnauba?

• 2 weeks later...

I have, this week, experienced the variable fuel economy figures that people have been wondering about.

I do the same journey everyday and consistently achieve 42/43mpg in my 220d Sport. I had an SE for a week a few weeks ago, whilst the dash rattle was being looked at, and averaged 47/48 mpg on this journey.

I have just had another (different car) SE for a week, but can't get this above 40 mpg on the same journey every day.

This new SE had just 900 miles on the clock when I picked it up and the previous one had 2k+, and the weather is very hot so air-con is on permanentely, but this shouldn't make that much of a difference surely?

I have, this week, experienced the variable fuel economy figures that people have been wondering about.

I do the same journey everyday and consistently achieve 42/43mpg in my 220d Sport. I had an SE for a week a few weeks ago, whilst the dash rattle was being looked at, and averaged 47/48 mpg on this journey.

I have just had another (different car) SE for a week, but can't get this above 40 mpg on the same journey every day.

This new SE had just 900 miles on the clock when I picked it up and the previous one had 2k+, and the weather is very hot so air-con is on permanentely, but this shouldn't make that much of a difference surely?

I think the aircon on mine makes about 1mpg difference.

Mileage makes no real difference - mines at 3300 miles and the MPG is still around 40-45mpg...mind you I'm excercising the horses more...

Town is now 29mpg....excellent!! 6th can be used a lot more too, but it just makes you braek the speed limit...

PS Scott - did your dealer come back with any more on the "Watch this space"?

PS Scott - did your dealer come back with any more on the "Watch this space"?

Nope! I'm going to mention it again when I get the seat belt recall done. MPG wise things have improved, I'm now averaging 41mpg but and it's a big but ... I'm having to drive in sixth gear between 55 - 65 mph. In this gear and at this speed I've got no acceleration and a lot of thrum and vibration. I'm also worried that I might be shortening the life of the engine.

Something else which made a difference was that I stopped buying motorwat diesel and now fill up at a local shell garage, this seemed to be the turning point for getting out of the mid 30s and into the low 40s :unsure:

I'm still hoping to achieve 50 mpg one day ... perhaps off a cliff :lol: :lol:

• 4 weeks later...