Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1G-FE

Adie

Following from this thread Link It seems that the standard IS engine as its not yet been pushed, is up for some discussion as to what it is capable of. Whether with uprated internals or not.

So people with knowledge of the engine and those that are uprating theirs or having work done etc could post on here and we could all together cover the grey area and find the limits of the engine.

:question::question::tomato:

I've a feeling mine will be doing this on the germany trip.........

Got the best euro breakdown cover in case :blush:

twill be (if its done in time) fully mapped,fuel line upgrade,up rated fuel pump,camcon, boost upped to .7 bar

twill be on std injectors as the plan is to see whats the max we can get from std block & for how long.....injectors will go into the 2.1 steel engine (being rebuilt) then it could get exciting

I am another person very interested in seeing how much the 1g-fe can take. If i end up getting the money for the engine rebuild i will be raising the boost at 0.1bar each week to see what happens!! I will also take note of the characteristics of the engine while doing this to give a more accurate description of its behaviour.

Although until then I would like to hear about somebody else currently in this position!

When getting very strong internals, keeping the compression ratio down, do a valve spring and valve upgrade, pumping good fuel and raising the rev limit to 10.000rpm, then you could do 500, 600, 700, 800HP if you want.

Just meaning the engine. :winky:

Axle, transmission, clutch would be the next problem. :yawn:

In the '70s F1 cars could do 900-1500BHP on turbocharged 1.5L engines. B)

What about the guy from Finland... who blows his IS200 TT while starting from a crossing...

--> LINK Wasn't it near 300bhp on stock internals?

--> LINK :winky:

We already discussed about him. :)

I am actually considering the idea to blow the engine just to see how much it can take.

indeed we are, when we starting on that boyo :D

Great news guys. Let us know how it goes :winky:

Ive been talking to TDI about the possiblities of 500bhp, has anyone ever had any trouble with gear box as the getrad ones are a shed load to buy. What do ppl think the standard IS box take??????

People with the greatest knowledge about the IS200 M/T, say that the tranny can take ~400BHP.

No one really knows the truth.

Maybe it can take more HP, as the Honda S2000 also has this gear box and can be boosted up to :tomato: :tsktsk: :o :duh:

Not sure, but just for my feeling I wouldn't max out those 400BHP. :shutit:

People with the greatest knowledge about the IS200 M/T, say that the tranny can take ~400BHP.

Maybe it can take more HP, as the Honda S2000 also has this gear box and can be boosted up to :tomato: :tsktsk: :o :duh:

Didnt know the s2000 had the same box, your foutain of knowledge never ceases to amaze me :P im sure someone this year will brake the 400 and maybe the box too we'll have to wait to find out :)

Didnt know the s2000 had the same box, your foutain of knowledge never ceases to amaze me :P im sure someone this year will brake the 400 and maybe the box too we'll have to wait to find out :)

not quite true, look under AZ6

AISIN

not quite true, look under AZ6

AISIN

Doesn't the Lexus have a Getrag J-160 transmission?? :blush:

Hmm... some time ago I have read that the S2000 gearbox is the same as in the IS200. :unsure:

Ive been talking to TDI about the possiblities of 500bhp, has anyone ever had any trouble with gear box as the getrad ones are a shed load to buy. What do ppl think the standard IS box take??????

500 bhp from the 1g-fe :blink: never in a million years (unless you spend bucket loads of dosh) and there is the block (which no one has mentioned yet) will not take it IMHO

all the big power producing engines made by toyota end in GTE (FE is for fuel economy) if you want 500 bhp I suggest you follow Mr Clawley...trying it on the 1g-fe will end in tears and a big credit card bill.

I reckon 300/320 bhp is about it (plus a shot of NOS for a short duration)

500 bhp from the 1g-fe :blink: never in a million years (unless you spend bucket loads of dosh) and there is the block (which no one has mentioned yet) will not take it IMHO

all the big power producing engines made by toyota end in GTE (FE is for fuel economy) if you want 500 bhp I suggest you follow Mr Clawley...trying it on the 1g-fe will end in tears and a big credit card bill.

I reckon 300/320 bhp is about it (plus a shot of NOS for a short duration)

It's a cast iron block, so why shouldn't it take it?

In Toyota language the letters after the dash (ie. -GTE, -FE) determine all the "extras" of the engine, and take no stand about the block itself. It's the letters _before_ the dash which determines the block.

For example:

1 G - F E

| | | |

| | | V

| | | Fuel injection (vs. carburetor)

| | V

| | "Economy head" (=narrower valve angle)

| V

| Block "family"

V

Revision number of the block within the block family

So:

1G-FE and 1G-GTE share the same block. And as you said, 1G-GTE is concidered as a "big power" engine. The diference between these two engines is in the head (and the turbo charger of course). The Toyota engine codes are explained HERE.

So there's no reason why -FE wouldn't take it, if -GTE does... :whistling:

Provided one has lowered C/R (to prevent detonation), forged internals, correct fuelling, and a smart enough ECU, after that the power output is dependant of the used turbo and boost. I see no reason why 1G-FE couldn't reach the 500hp barrier? :huh: And that's not so much more expensive than breaking the 300hp barrier.

Personally I think that the use of NOS would be even more harmful to the engine (block) than the effect of the turboing, because the effect of the NOS is much more sudden than the turbo boost, which takes time to build up. Makes sense? :tomato:

@ spock...the blocks are different I've actually got two side by side. Castings are different and look a lot stronger in the GTE block .

I was told about the GTE being the stronger engine by one of the guys @ TTE and if my feeble memory serves me right Mr Clawley also told me

@ spock...the blocks are different I've actually got two side by side. Castings are different and look a lot stronger in the GTE block .

I was told about the GTE being the stronger engine by one of the guys @ TTE and if my feeble memory serves me right Mr Clawley also told me

Really? :blink:

I got told the same what spock was talking. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys

THeres a 1GFE here in Sydney, AUstralia pumping out 240kw AT THE REAR WHEELS with 18 pound of boost. Forged rods and pistons and all. Running a GT30 turbo

Marcus, may i ask what computer you are using with your turbo setup

Hey guys

THeres a 1GFE here in Sydney, AUstralia pumping out 240kw AT THE REAR WHEELS with 18 pound of boost. Forged rods and pistons and all. Running a GT30 turbo

What gearbox is he using?

And which ECU? Stand-alone (Motec, Haltech, etc) or "piggy-back" (e.g. Greddy eManage)? IMO the trickiest part is not the "mechanics" (turbos, pistons, rods, manifolds), but instead the hard-to-crack Toyota electronics... :angry: