Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

More Work Being Done

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i know its not standard, that was my point.

as youself said,, surly there would have been no spark if the coil pack had gone, which then wouldnt have produced any spark to ignite the fuel in the cylinder of no6.

but hey im not an expert so i'll let the experts tell us,,

There was a slight misfire before, which is why the coil packs were changed. This was the first time I'd properly driven it after changing, which is why I think a plug had gone too as it was a tad sluggish. But this I put down to the humid weather.

As I said must just be a coincidence that it looks to have happened to the same cylinder :duh:

Will see tomorrow :crybaby:

Very sorry to hear that, i know how you feel been there in slightly different circumstances.

Was it not a little brave to have it boosting as high as 0.7 bar with stock internals?

Very sorry to hear that, i know how you feel been there in slightly different circumstances.

Was it not a little brave to have it boosting as high as 0.7 bar with stock internals?

Maybe.. Before I did I was enquiring and it seemed some people were running this no probs. Maybe the problem was that it overboosted .7 bar.

Everybody knows how thin the conrods are so maybe it was just waiting to happen..

But hey-ho it certainly wont be boosting .7 bar anymore when rebuilt :winky:

(maybe on low boost :P )

Hey fella, hope you get it sorted soon, sorry to hear what's happened, it was a great car and it's only going to get better in the future!

I guess next time I see her she'll have a 2JZ or something similar, shame it's worked out like this but I guess at least you're ok and looking forward, you'd pretty much pushed everything you had to the limit so it's good to see you staying with this IS and pushing her forward in new ways :)

Need some Stella with you boys soon too, hopefully that will take your mind off things :D

Really sorry to hear about that Adie :crybaby:

A faulty coil pack would have a reduced power spark which would lead to lower cylinder pressures, so theoretically that piston and rod would be under less stress. Having said that, because the engine was running on 5 cylinders, the resultant imbalance creates a vibration which is very bad for the engine.

I think you have suffered from the infamous "weak connecting rod" syndrome.

Chin up mate, it's just brought forward your plans a bit sooner than expected.

Please let me know if I can help :)

First off is to source a new engine, hopefully there is a couple of options in the pipeline...

So the engine rebuild I was planning for winter or next year has now come to a head and needs doing asap. Now the engine is being rebuilt and apart I hope to do as much to it as possible. So when its done the car will be way over the 300bhp mark (current turbo dependant).

Terrible news adie, just read back over the thread :o

That is now 2 engines that have had rods snap at .8bar!! (Spock too). Seems we are now getting to know the strength of the 1g-fe.

You know my engine is coming out as soon as I get the time to do it so I will have all parts including block etc etc available if it is of any use to you. I can also source a full set of 1g-gte rods and pistons (cheap) and fit them to my block aswell which would allow at least 1.2bar of boost to be run safely. This will also have a lower comp ratio too.

Just though I would give yo a couple more options buddy!!

sorry to here this Ad, :crybaby:

I have to say the most i have hit is .7 but you have to ask the :question: why your car could over boost to .8 :yawn: is/was it not setup to stop it over boosting "ie" wastegate opens when you hit .72 My turbo is set to boost .7 (max) anything over that and the wastegate opens.

can not see it being down to a faulty coil pack!

Thanks guys :blush:

How's things going Aido? Nice to hear from you mate :D

Thanks for the offer Gav. I'll keep that in mind. I'm waiting to hear from Thom or Mat as to whether Thom might have a spare engine soon.. Also Mike (roadrash) has his old one still... so I'm just weighing up options..

I've already got the con rods and pistons to come from Mike and also hopefully a thicker head gasket I'm trying to buy from Sami (Spock).

So these will be installed straight away.. so should be a lightened flywheel and a more stronger clutch than the organic helix one I currently have.

Money dependent I hope to get the head gas flowed too.. Maybe if my current head is ok, I could use the new head as a project to work on over time, including the gas flowing etc...

@ Mark... I shall be in touch mate :winky:

Edited by Adie

there are loads of reason leaks in pipes can give you a spike boost so even if your setup for .7 .8 is nothing for a small fault to occour and get you there

yea i know that Daza............ ;)

But with all the work Ad has had done, if it was me i would take the time out to look over all the pipes and so on.............like i said i dont think its down to a coil pack!! put it this way my IS has done 116,000 miles......and i have not had one coil pack go :yawn: and i have had the Turbo on the car for a year now as well

9 out of 10 failures on the Lexus/Toyota engine will be down to no 6 cylinder....they know this too.

not just Toyota/lexus, but all inline 6 cylinder engines, as the rearmost cylinder is always the one that runs hottest

9 out of 10 failures on the Lexus/Toyota engine will be down to no 6 cylinder....they know this too.

not just Toyota/lexus, but all inline 6 cylinder engines, as the rearmost cylinder is always the one that runs hottest

Aquamist is probably a vital move for highly tuned or boosted 6cyls?

Aquamist is probably a vital move for highly tuned or boosted 6cyls?

Funnily enough Am, I was having Aquamist water injection fitted in the next month or so, along with the uprated internals. I guess I was a little late :crying:

Will still be getting it fitted later on though

Adie, see it as expensive experience, which I also have to do at the moment and I can't say,

it were easy. :yawn:

But just what you feel, you really know. :winky:

A soldier doesn't lay down and cry, we must stand up and fight with the experience of the past,

against the problems of the future..... new adventures and better skill are waiting for us. :D

You will build up your ride one day and you will know what is to do and what to take care of and you will love and appreciate your Lex more than ever. :winky:

Your thought might be "I should have upgraded internals before"..... my thought was "I should have changed the old tires before".... we can't change the past, we must change the future with the experience of the past. :winky:

And it's good to discuss about all that, so people can learn of things like this and maybe it helps other people

to prevent terrible happenings like that.

It depends on ourselves what we do in future..... lay down and cry or get up and rip the world in two pieces. B) :D

Mike :)

why does this keep coming to mind :lol:

Steve Austin, astronaut. A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links