Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mpg

Donk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blimey, didn't expect all of those.

If I read this right, you are saying to rev the engine over 4500rpm in order to get the MPG higher? I always thought the lower the revs the better the performance?

After a couple of tanks I am averagin 28-29mpg which is ok but when the Mrs drives a 2.5TDI A4 and gets 40+ it makes my wallet hurt!

If MPG was a major factor I do not think that I would have bought an IS200 - Not trying to get peoples backs up with that comment - just stating the obvious - MPG is not its strongest point.

My last car was a 328 coupe of the brand that we cannot mention here :ph34r: - Around town I would get 22 - 25 easy - A mixture of motorway and town I would easy average 30 to 35.

I have only had my lexus for 2 weeks so I cannot pass comment yet about what I am getting - still running it in etc.

B

Ricky

I fell in (or out ??) of the Company car circus back in April when the tax laws were changed apparently for "green" issues. Most people i know have opted out of the car schemes and bought bigger engine cars. My company pays for my petrol so the MPG is not an issue - but I must admit If I was paying I would be a little bit concerned by the figures being quoted in this post - especially when you consider that you are not getting the trade off of expetional performance. By this I mean if it was a 0-60 in 5 or 6 seconds you wouldn't be bothered about the MPG.

Good luck with your search for a diesel.

B

the point is, if you are getting a car that you need to go up to 4500 before you get a big of a grunt from the engine, petrol shouldn't be an issue. we do our research before we get the car of our choice.

Ofcourse it is expensive, but you can't expect to get comfort, performance, luxury and 30+ MPG for a car under 20 grand? Infact, we are almost getting everything except the MPG.

The amount of dosh you save over an equivalent beemer, should far outweigh the extra 3mpg you lose.

I get an average of 27 mpg with a mixture of motorway and city driving. I usually do 400 on the tank before filling up, and have done 440 on one tank before panicing sufficiently and finding a petrol station. But even on that occassion, I still only filled up 69 litres, making nearly 29mph. This surprises me as I redline most of the time (what's the point in having the car otherwise :D ) and cruise on the m-ways at 95-110 depending on road conditions. I also use mostly supermarket fuel, rather than premium.

I'd say I'm one of the heaviest-left-footed people I know, but I still seem to have better fuel consumption than most of the other posters here... weird!

Dave

But even on that occassion, I still only filled up 69 litres, making nearly 29mph.

After my warning light comes on I tend to fill up within the next 20-30 miles. I only ever manage to pump 62 litres which leads me to assume the reserve is 2 gallons. Is this true?

I get an average of 27 mpg with a mixture of motorway and city driving. I usually do 400 on the tank before filling up, and have done 440 on one tank before panicing sufficiently and finding a petrol station. But even on that occassion, I still only filled up 69 litres, making nearly 29mph. This surprises me as I redline most of the time (what's the point in having the car otherwise :D ) and cruise on the m-ways at 95-110 depending on road conditions. I also use mostly supermarket fuel, rather than premium.

I'd say I'm one of the heaviest-left-footed people I know, but I still seem to have better fuel consumption than most of the other posters here... weird!

Dave

That's a really good return on supermarket fuel! I did a bit of a test to see what fuel was best for aiding the mpg. I was getting around 300 miles a tank on supermarket fuel, 320ish on normal unleaded and around 340-350ish on super unleaded.

Filled up on Monday evening - to the brim.

drove to Gateshead Marriot (203 miles),

then to client site in the morning (7 miles)

then back home (say 200 miles).

then a bit of puttering around town in the evening (about 15 miles).

half way through the puttering about, the light came on.

went and filled up Tuesday evening - to the brim again, took just over 60 litres.

So I reckon thats a least 425 miles from less than a full tank of optimax.

the pipe and slippers were nowhere in sight either.

Going up the A1 Monday night, I had a really good run, average speed for the last 60 miles must have been close to a ton.

so - nothing to complain about at all as fair as I am concerned

On average I get about 265 miles to a tank (17.5 mpg) in my IS300. :sick: I have no one else to blame but myself coz I do a fair bit of town driving, with a few regular sprints up the motorway at very naughty speeds. :ph34r:

I drove down to Italy and back this summer, and managed to get an average of about 390 mile to a tank (26mpg) at an average speed of 110mph. B) I was however a little peeved that my old man was getting approx 1/8 of a tank better fuel consumption than me, travelling at the same speeds in GS300 Auto. :angry:

I was a little alarmed by this, until I got down to Italy. This was all forgotten due to the ammount of attention the car received there. Leave it parked in a small town for an hour, and when you come back you have 10-20 people admiring the car (and trying to work out what it is!!).

At the end of the day we all know that the IS series is not the ideal company car coz of the high co2 rating and not brilliant fuel consumption. But then you could be driving around in a 3-series like all the other sheep, and that really makes a statement about yourself, does'nt it !! :P

I find supermarket fuel to be less refined than BP, shell etc and the quality is poor... that's how they can offer cheap fuel plus discount fuel with vouchers.

I tend to stick with BP or Shell etc

Firstly, let me correct myself... I've a heavy right foot not left... not that anyone noticed! :D

When my IS200 manual comes back from its 40k service, I'll run the tank dry, and then fill up with top octane petrol, and see what happens. Anyone suggest the "best" fuel to use?

Dave

But even on that occassion, I still only filled up 69 litres, making nearly 29mph.

After my warning light comes on I tend to fill up within the next 20-30 miles. I only ever manage to pump 62 litres which leads me to assume the reserve is 2 gallons. Is this true?

my tank is 60 Ltrs (that's what it says the altezza has), but i tend to fill when a quarter full.

occasionally i let it go to the red light, and still never manage to put in anything more than 52 litres even when i run around for a while on red light.

I began to think it was a 55 litre tank. but as marshy said he thinks he has a two gallon reserve, I began to think that the 60ltrs could be true. If that's the case, then that's a massive reserve. My boss has a C Class and he can't do no more than 16 miles when the light comes on.

That mean I can manage about 360 miles on a full 60 litre tank. That's ain't bad at all.

Firstly, let me correct myself... I've a heavy right foot not left... not that anyone noticed! :D

just assumed you coasted a lot to keep the mpg up!

:P

When my IS200 manual comes back from its 40k service, I'll run the tank dry, and then fill up with top octane petrol, and see what happens. Anyone suggest the "best" fuel to use?

Shell Optimax - only serious choice