Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Diesel

Steve

There have been whispers regarding Lexus bringing out a diesel range.

A Lexus powered by a diesel engine is on the company’s development horizon, according to Dr Shuhei Toyoda, president and CEO of Toyota Motor Europe.

Dr Toyoda said the company ‘is addressing’ the need for diesel power for its luxury brand and plans to expand its range of diesel engines ‘in the near future’ from its current 10-engine list which includes five direct injection units.

He also noted that the company has ‘learned a great deal’ from its diesel joint venture with PSA Peugeot Citroen and has concluded agreements with other manufacturers, including the supply of 1.4-litre diesel engines for BMW’s new MINI.

Diesel power in luxury cars has become an essential element to the growth of the segment, with BMW and Mercedes-Benz leading the way for many years. Jaguar is now following suit and expects to have a diesel powered car option within the next year. Lexus is committed to massively increasing its sales over the next five years from a niche player in the luxury brands to becoming a major one.

What is everyones opions on a Lexus Diesel?

I think Lexus would have to develop it's own range rather than raid the Toyota factory for D-4D engines. Anyway, are the Toyota engines not 4 cylinder engines? Heaven forbid Lexus ever launch a car with less that six cylinders!

Would I buy a diesel? Possibly, if it was quiet, and had large amounts of torque and was at least 2.5 litres.

One possible thing could be the new RX330, Lexus is actually loosing a few good sales on the SUV range, a lot of people want to have a diesel engine.

I discussed it with my Lex dealer, and he replied, a diesel engine could improve sales a lot more on the RX, have you seen the new VW 10 cylinders engine ?

I used to drive a 306 DTurbo. It was great fun, bit slow off the line, but the overtaking punch was great and I used to love watching disappointed 318 drivers diminishing in the rear view mirror on the motorway.

If Lexus can match the BMW 3 Litre Diesel then I'd be interested, even better if they made matched the V10 Turbo Diesel AUDI/VW are going to be using in their big beasts.

BMW have improved their already excellent 3.0 diesel and are now fitting it in the 7 series and 3 series Coupe.

http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/100/

Providing Lexus fit an equivalent engine I'll buy one!

I had a 530d for a while - and you would have been hard pushed to tell it was diesel.

quiet but still had a nice kickdown and good acceleration

(still prefer my IS though).

The IS300 had better acceleration though, especially at higher speeds.

had it for just over a week, so not enough experience to see how ecomonical it was though

I can only really see the SUV market taking Derv seriously. I don't really fit into the IS market but if 325 drivers are converted to 320 and 330 D Beemers then I guess the IS crowd could follow suit.

Me, I like a nice conventional motor. Can't imagine a Derv Powered LS and thats all I want next on the 4dr car market. It's like a Bentley. and you strangly don't see them punting out MPG figures of the Diesel Variant do you? hmmm... And I don't hear anyone clamouring for a Diesel Aston Martin Either.... I don't Hear Ferarri talking about it, DO you get the picture.

BMW have avoided putting that great engine in their Coupe line up for 5+ Years. Ever wondered why? I used to say, "I'd buy one" then I realised I was just using that as an excuse not to buy their product cos it just was not for me.

Lexus is Petrol, its always been petrol and it will be Petrol FOREVER!!!

even better if they made matched the V10 Turbo Diesel AUDI/VW are going to be using in their big beasts.

They are going to be very expensive though aren't they?

Yes but then last time I checked so was the LS, ;) .

I saw the pricing for the new VM Touareg 4x4, and the price difference between the smaller diesel and the V10 was huge, I can't remember the details but it was something like 15K.

Anyone driven the VW Golf GTi-TDi yet?

This is one fast diesal car... I'd have one but it's bit small for my liking..

I've been in a 150 anniversary special edition golf and it was a very impressive car, so much low down power. Like you its a little small and not enough class for me!

Can't imagine a Derv Powered LS and thats all I want next on the 4dr car market. It's like a Bentley. and you strangly don't see them punting out MPG figures of the Diesel Variant do you? hmmm... And I don't hear anyone clamouring for a Diesel Aston Martin Either.... I don't Hear Ferarri talking about it, DO you get the picture.

Maybe, but nearly 60% of UK Merc S-class sales are now diesel so somebody wants them.

All to do with the tax savings (on a company car) running to several hundred quid a month, not the mpg per se.

Great car though the LS is, it's not quite in the same market as an Aston or Ferrari.

I imagine there will always be a place for the big petrol motor (I have a 3.5V8 of my own :D ) but with current emphasis on CO2 emissions the tide is shifting.

(from memory)Isn't there an extra 3% tax on diesels, no matter what the car, engine sixe, CO2 emissions etc?

That's true, but even with the diesel surcharge it's still a lot cheaper than a petrol.

Next year the difference will be even greater if you have a company fuel card because the tax on that will be CO2 based as well.

Engine size and mileage don't come into it anymore - list price and CO2 are all that counts.

I think there is one engine that meets the 2005 emissions and therefore escapes the surcharge, but I can't remember who makes it.

It must only be a matter of time before a diesel IS is available; Toyota has the engines and they need to compete in the company car market. Remember that the petrol 'Lexus' engines in the IS are Toyota units, available in all manner of Tyota vehicles here in Japan (including minivans and MPVs!) If there is a market for it, and they have the engines, they'll make it!