Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Digital Gatso Cameras

MrADeveci

A new type of camera is being installed at several locations around London in an attempt to extract yet more cash from motorists. These cameras are more sophisticated versions of Gatsos and they have the potential to net London Scamera Partnership a small fortune. These cameras have already appeared in other parts of the country and the manufacturer, Redspeed International, claims they are vandalproof due to the height of the pole but cameras in Nottingham and Bristol have already been attacked.

With conventional Gatsos it was a lottery as to whether you would receive a NIP after having been flashed. With these cameras its almost certain you will receive a NIP as they do away with film and transmit the image directly to the back office of the Metropolitan Police's London Safety Camera Partnership at Marlowe House in Station Road, Sidcup, DA15 via an ADSL (broadband) link. Within 30 minutes of an offence being committed the NIP is waiting in the postroom ready to be sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle.

The first 16 (possibly more) of 66 planned and paid for cameras have recently been installed at a cost of £50k each and because they don't require someone to change the film the scamera partnership believes they will pay for themselves in a short period of time. The remaining cameras are due to be installed by the and of April which also coincides with the financial year. Previously the trigger speed was set way above the speed limit due to the lack of resources to cope with the high amount of NIPs being sent. In a 30mph limit the camera was set at 45 but these new cameras will be set much lower to the ACPO guidelines of 10% +2mph. Together with speed limit reductions on some of the best quality roads in London, the scamera partnership is out to fleece you left right and centre. This follows a massive £1m advertising campaign which is intended to seduce you into thinking that the cameras are there to slow you down. In reality the scamera partnership will want a good return on that £1m investment and hopes these cameras are going to be successful in bringing home the bacon.

They've appeared on the following roads so far:

A3 Clapham High St, SW4 x1

A5 Edgware Road, Colindale, NW9 x1

A24 Morden Road, Merton, SW19 x2

A40 Western Avenue at Savoy Circus, W3 x2

A41 Finchley Road, NW3 x1

A104 Lea Bridge Road, Leyton, E10 x1

A124 Rush Green Road, RM7 x2

A125 Rainham Road, RM13 x1

A219 Parkside, Wimbledon, SW19 x1

A400 Kentish Town Road, NW5 x1

A406 Waterworks Corner, Woodford, IG8 x1

A503 Seven Sisters Road, N4 x1

A4020 Uxbridge Road, Southall, UB1 x1

Expect them to be commonplace soon.

Some of these cameras are on new sites whilst others are replacing Gatsos. Below are pictures of some of the newly installed cameras. The first one shows a double headed camera which unlike a reversible Gatso which can face one way or the other, contains two fully functional camera housings which cover both directions simultaneously. Whilst the scamera partnership may believe this camera can record more offences, the downside is if someone vandalises it then both camera housings are destroyed and this would cost £100k. The cameras on the A40 are at traffic lights and these function as a red light camera and a speed camera when the lights are on green, they are known as speed on green.

g307.jpg

Double headed camera on Morden Road, Merton

g308.jpg

Rainham Road, South Hornchurch

g309.jpg

Two cameras on Rush Green Road, Romford

g310.jpg

Gatso replacement on Lea Bridge Road, Leyton

g311.jpg

Gatso replacement on Edgware Road, NW9

I thank you, from your freindly local LOC police man .......... B)

ive noticed two of these new cameras go up near to me :crybaby:

didnt realise they went back to marlowe house, i big client of mine is on the third floor :shifty:

a bit of preventative maintenance might be needed soon :whistling:

I too have seen two of these cameras recently, one just outside Croydon town centre on Coome Road and one on the Riddlesdown Road between Selsdon and Turn off to Kenley.

yep... they`re the two i was thinking off

hardly accident hotspots ;)

Quick question from an observer....... As well as an NIP do you get penallty points too......?

just thinking with all those cameras if you were over doing it, one night alone and you could be off the road!

If it's purely revenue gathering... then you wouldn't get points as they wouldn't want to lose a good customer....

Quick question from an observer....... As well as an NIP do you get penallty points too......?

just thinking with all those cameras if you were over doing it, one night alone and you could be off the road!

If it's purely revenue gathering... then you wouldn't get points as they wouldn't want to lose a good customer....

:lol::lol::lol:

The NIP is a Notice of Intended Prosecution, assuming you own up, after that is the Fixed Penalty (£60) and the 3 Penalty Points. Get enough (12) and you get a ban for a few weeks and then off you go again.

g307.jpg

Double headed camera on Morden Road, Merton

^

|

This one's near me, although there are another 2 on Church road, one opposite Lewis Rd junction, and the other the other direction outside the Merc garage.

But anyway, as some have said, hardly accident hotspots.

I've never seen a single accident outside my (old) main road (Church Road).

Did you take them pics Ahmet :question:

Cheers for the extra heads-up anyway :)

guess you'll be getting a pay rise with all this extra revenue! :lol:

D.

if i had a rifle.....!

what about a paint ball gun :)

Paint ball sounds good.Lets make a weekend of it? New Sport?

Do I see an access panel lower down the column? Anyone got a yellow safety jacket and a screwdriver?

Snip....

• 2 weeks later...

Spotted:

a replacement and additional digital one on the A406 between Angel and Redbridge. Just before the M11 junctions.

First one is just after you come up out from under the bridge, and the second is about quarter of a mile on.

Spotted:

a replacement and additional digital one on the A406 between Angel and Redbridge. Just before the M11 junctions.

First one is just after you come up out from under the bridge, and the second is about quarter of a mile on.

and there is a third about 200 yards further which is for the M11 trafic, thats like 3 in less than a mile :sick:

Spotted:

and there is a third about 200 yards further which is for the M11 trafic, thats like 3 in less than a mile :sick:

It's such a wide road that bit... mind you, it was easy to catch some speed down there... i guess that won't be happening again anytime soon.

• 3 months later...