Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First Winter With The Is200

Div

OK, in typical English style, this post is a bit, "one heavy frost and we're sent into dis-array"...

I've noticed since having my is200 that the Traction control seems a bit, erm.. slow. Now that the roads are getting a bit slippy I've had chance to play a bit. It seems to only cut in about 1-2 seconds after the rear wheels have lost traction - i sat on a slippery hill and floored the throttle, and it was a good second or two before the TC cut in and killed the revs. Is this normal? IMO too much can happen in this time to make it useful.

... which leads me to the second point - the Snow button. I'm guessing this perhaps doesn't do a great deal, but under what conditions should you turn it on - if there's snow on the road? ice? black ice?

Ta.

Dave.

Div,

Have to agree with you, this am the frost was solid around Oxford I switched on the standard traction control and the car was everywhere but straight, then turned that off and turned on the Racelogic and it was superb no slip and I could floor the accelerator and it kept it right on the edge, no slipping no slidding just pure control.

Go on get Racelogic in the car

Si

:D

The TC is a bit slow to react, but have you tried correcting a 1500kg car with no traction when it want's to go in a different direction to you? It makes for very interesting lock to lock shenanigans, as I found out with TC off in an empty Sainsburys car park last year. :D

As for the snow button, I think it's only active upto speeds of 15-20mph just to help you get the initial traction, and make sure you atleast start your icey journey pointing the right way. :)

I've certainly thought about the racelogic - maybe next year though - I'll see how I survive this winter...

I'll perhaps have a play in the car-park tonight (it's bound to be iced over), I'm always the last car in it! At least it sounds as if my TC's relaxed attitude isn't anything out of the ordinary :) Having said that it's quite nice to have it that relaxed when the roads are dry :D

Div.

I agree with Claire that you should not be accelerating too fast when you know the conditions are going to be slippery. The snow button reduces the throttle responce so that you can gently apply the power. It worked fine for me last year when we had those two days of snow around the new-year (avator picture), but i wasnt trying to beat the TC, just work with it.

I thought the point of the snow button was to allow some wheel spin on snow so that the car can find grip. Otherwise the traction control will cut in and reduce your power leaving you imobile.

Believe me, it lets your wheels spin .... :angry: so much that I couldn't move for 10 days .......

Roll on the summer :geek:

OK, in typical English style, this post is a bit, "one heavy frost and we're sent into dis-array"...

I've noticed since having my is200 that the Traction control seems a bit, erm.. slow. Now that the roads are getting a bit slippy I've had chance to play a bit. It seems to only cut in about 1-2 seconds after the rear wheels have lost traction - i sat on a slippery hill and floored the throttle, and it was a good second or two before the TC cut in and killed the revs. Is this normal? IMO too much can happen in this time to make it useful.

... which leads me to the second point - the Snow button. I'm guessing this perhaps doesn't do a great deal, but under what conditions should you turn it on - if there's snow on the road? ice? black ice?

Ta.

Dave.

the snow button cuts some of the power from the car so throttle response is very slow till yer hit the 4000 rpm mark. still slow. it's a big difference if you are used to "getting off the mark" at lights, junction etc.

But, and a big but, it wouldn't help much if you are in heavy snow (especially in europe). you just need winter tyres. I have used the button in minus 5 (without snow and on sumeer tyres)and it's been cool. You could feel a bit of a spin but nothing much. But when snow has piled up for days, forget it.

Snow mode reduces the throttle response - makes it easier to be subtle with the accelerator.

Edited to say: Wallace already said that :duh:

It's normal for the TC to allow some wheel slip before cutting in - this is a good thing because when the power cuts, the car bogs badly which can really land you in it at junctions :ohmy:

In my experience you're better off walking if it's snowing/icy :hehe:

:crybaby: I personally hate traction controll with a passion. Fine if you have the driving ability of a 160 year old, but then again these people are normally found with flat caps, driving gloves and behind the wheel of a 15 year old Volvo Estate.

I always find that by feeling what the car is doing and adjusting your throttle/steering input will normally sort out any traction loss problems. Clearly if you dump the clutch at the red line with the steering cranked round you would be an idiot not to expect to loose out to a 180 degree spin.

Traction control can sometimes land you in real problems as it can kick in when you are trying to get out of a junction quickly.

My advice is switch the damn thing off and find someone to remove the bulb that lights up the warning light on the dashboard.

If in doubt try a skid pan day, it will teach you loads about car control.

I've also found the IS seems happy to slip away on pulling off at junctions when there is the faintest blip of dew or ice. TC cuts in way too slow, mind you, I have been spoilt by driving an Impreza Turbo for the last year or so when TC isn't supplied and isn't needed!

Fine if you have the driving ability of a 160 year old, but then again these people are normally found with flat caps, driving gloves and behind the wheel of a 15 year old Volvo Estate.

Best I look to trade my Lexus in then....Volvo Estates in duck poo green, here I come :sick:

Come on people - drive according to the conditions and let gizzmos do their jobs. It is possible to drive the IS easily in most conditons, its no different to any other car. The snow button will make the throttle response more sedate in slippery condtions. The TC is there as an aid it dont make you a better driver

The secret is to take your time, plan your manouveur in time and do it gently.

ADJUST to the conditions dont expect the car to work it out for you.

Yeah yeah I know what you are thinking - so I dont need enlightening thanks

:unsure:

Reading all this I will certainly leave my flat cap at home should I journey to any meets. I take it that a baseball hat is in keeping with the Lexus image . Is there one with the Lexus logo?

Ref winter driving I think one should also bear in mind that the ABS only comes on at 10mph +. I once did an emergency stop at 10 mph and the brakes locked with the result that the car being a heavy vehicle skidded forward in a straight line.

Reading all this I will certainly leave my flat cap at home should I journey to any meets. I take it that a baseball hat is in keeping with the Lexus image . Is there one with the Lexus logo?

ask and ye shall recieve!

owners club baseball cap

must be stressed that this is not to be worn backwards

;)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links