Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

[bDear Lexus owners.

My father has an imported Lexus Ls400 95 (M) plate. He has had this car for almost 3 years now.

Although it has a 4 litre engine, it hardly uses any fuel. The fuel economy is even better than my 1.8 litre C180 Elegence MERCEDES.

He has now just bought a 98 UK GS300 SE ® Plate.I must say the 3 litre GS300 uses far more petrol than the LS400.

WHY?

The GS300 gives about 250 miles combined for £50 petrol. Whereas the Ls400 gives about 400 miles for the same petrol.

Is it something to do with the LS being an import, or is it because the 4 litre engine is more refined?

or is it simply that the uk GS300 is maybe heavier in weight?

Please help me.

Nadeem.

• 2 weeks later...

That seems amazing that you can get so good consumption for your LS400. I own a 95 LS400 and my full tank can only give me around 290 km, but I live on a hill; i.e. everyday I travel up and down hill, that would make quite a bit of difference. But 400 miles is amazing, I wonder what do I need to do to get better consumption as here petrol costs around 90p per litre.

Also does anyone have any experience in using those fuelsavers- Powermax or Fuelsaver device which cramps on the fuel supply line and uses magnetic field to reduce fuel consumption ? Are they of any use and is it easy to install by amateur- where is the fuel line ? I'd appreciate any help please.

Dude,

Your numbers are strange! Based upon 76.9p a litre for UL, you are getting 28mpg in the LS400 and 17.5mpg in the GS300.

From what I have read the GS300 normally uses a little less fuel than the LS400.

It sounds to me like your LS400 gives that level of economy on a long cruise, and the GS300 figure is when you are driving in urban areas.

I have a 92 LS400 (UK spec), and since day 1, it has given between 15 and 30 mpg. 15-18 around town, and 28-32 on long cruise at 70mph.

• 3 months later...
[bDear Lexus owners.

My father has an imported Lexus Ls400 95 (M) plate. He has had this car for almost 3 years now.

Although it has a 4 litre engine, it hardly uses any fuel. The fuel economy is even better than my 1.8 litre C180 Elegence MERCEDES.

He has now just bought a 98 UK GS300 SE ® Plate.I must say the 3 litre GS300 uses far more petrol than the LS400.

WHY?

The GS300 gives about 250 miles combined for £50 petrol. Whereas the Ls400 gives about 400 miles for the same petrol.

Is it something to do with the LS being an import, or is it because the 4 litre engine is more refined?

or is it simply that the uk GS300 is maybe heavier in weight?

Please help me.

Nadeem.

Ive just bought an LS400....april 95 mark III. Its returning a combined 29.4 based on 374Miles....Then topping up the tank. I dont gun it all obver the plac but am no slouch either. Just enjoy the smoot uptake and the Glide.

Not done any long runs in it yet...the firdst is tomorrow to the lake ditrict about 240 tound trip with a lot of country lanes etc. Will report back maybe tuesday and let you know what it returning....

Happy Moting lads n lasses!!!

Hi Guys,

On a nice motorway run, with speeds varying from 0 (as happens on the M25, M1 & M6) to my usual cruising speed of around 75 - 80 mph, my last long run, 500 mile round trip in just slightly over 8 hours of actual motoring, my LS400

March 1995 mk3 returned just over 29mpg.

Occasionally I did also need to pump up the gas to get past an annoying obstruction or get past some one quickly to let a real flyer past (usually some idiot in an old XR2 etc) and get up to the ton as well.

Obviously around town and for shorter journeys that figure can usually be halved.

One thing that I do love about these cars tho', is the fact that after 500 miles and 8 hours behind the wheel you really do not feel all that fatigued. It is a priviledge to be in a car that really drives itself !!!

Nadeem,

the fuel consumption will increase as soon as your father takes the car off the car transporter!

But seriously, it sounds as thought the LS400 is ok but there's something wrong with the GS300.

I have a '99 LS400 which I bought last summer with 80K km on it. I have done the following to optimize my fuel consumption:

- New iridium spark plugs (old ones were iridium too, but new plugs added 1 mpg)

- Synthetic oil in engine and rear differential

- K&N air filter

- New Michelin Energy MXV-4 tires (note: very quiet, very long life, plus lower fuel consumption)

Results: 33 mpg (imperial) on the highway at 75-80 mph!

=8.7 l/100km.

I drove from Toronto to Boston on a single tank of gas (approx. 550 miles)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links