Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spelling And Punctuation

Has anybody else noticed that the standard of punctuation and spelling seems to be awful in this country?

From what I can see, it seems to be getting worse as well. Maybe it has something to do with over reliance on spell checkers and txt messages or lowering standards of education? I don't know, maybe its always been bad?

If I look at someone’s CV and see bad spelling or punctuation, I am immediately put off. Does this bother anyone else?

Has anybody else noticed that the standard of punctuation and spelling seems to be awful in this country?

From what I can see, it seems to be getting worse as well. Maybe it has something to do with over reliance on spell checkers and txt messages or lowering standards of education? I don't know, maybe its always been bad?

If I look at someone’s CV and see bad spelling or punctuation, I am immediately put off. Does this bother anyone else?

I have to agree completely, it's laziness to simply rely on spell checkers or the T9 dictionary on a phone to check what you've written.

*check first sentence for errors*

*breathes a sigh of relief*

As for CV's, that's a black mark straight away. I once received one stating the applicant had good 'Attentoin to detail' for Gawds sake!

Another pet hate of mine is when people e-mail in TXT SPK. Lazy swines, how hard is it to type Regards instead of Rgds. And don't get me started on the acronym for 'See You Next Tuesday'...C U N, oh hang on :hehe:

Bring back the three R's, whatever they were???? :blink:

As for CV's, that's a black mark straight away. I once received one stating the applicant had good 'Attentoin to detail' for Gawds sake!

Bring back the three R's, whatever they were???? :blink:

As for CVs, that's a black mark straight away. I once received one stating the applicant had good 'Attentoin to detail' for Gawd's sake!

Bring back the three Rs, whatever they were???? :blink:

Just some punctuation mistakes I spotted! :P :tomato:

I would agree 100% with you. Between spell checkers and phones predictive text make spelling to easy. On the same note, Id admit my spelling and punctuation is far worse than it ever used to be.

Punctuation is no longer taught at school or college, so no wonder it's not used, or used incorrectly.

The use of abbreviations and acronyms is ok IMHO dependant upon the type of communication, if it is informal like an e-mail, text message or even posting on here that's fine. To use them in a formal letter or CV is a definate no.

Having said that the purpose of language, either written or oral, is communication, provided the message gets across clearly what's the problem?

Having said that the purpose of language, either written or oral, is communication, provided the message gets across clearly what's the problem?

I find I have to read some things 2 or 3 times before I properly understand the meaning, purely because its not punctuated.

Nowadays I see huge senctences which have no punctuation. Rather than breaking up senctences with punctuation, it is now common to stuff all the information into one long sentence, this is difficult to read quickly I find.

I find I have to read some things 2 or 3 times before I properly understand the meaning, purely because its not punctuated.

Nowadays I see huge senctences which have no punctuation. Rather than breaking up senctences with punctuation, it is now common to stuff all the information into one long sentence, this is difficult to read quickly I find.

Like I said as long as the meaning is clear it is OK. I know what you mean about the long sentences without punctuation, they are difficult to understand sometimes. I am used to reading contracts, they are devoid of punctuation for a good reason, the placing of a comma can change the entire meaning of a sentence.

Take this one - Woman without her man, is lost.

Move the comma and the meaning of the sentence becomes the opposite.

The use of the word "its" in your second paragraph is incorrect. You ought to have an apostrophe in there.

(you did rather ask for it mate)

Senctences? twice :o

The use of the word "its" in your second paragraph is incorrect. You ought to have an apostrophe in there.

(you did rather ask for it mate)

I never said I was perfect. It's the complete lack of punctuation that really bothers me :winky:

:blush: Keyboard's broken?

I think there's also an issue with "... huge sentences which have no punctuation."

I tend to fall into exactly the same trap. I have been constantly told that one is to use "that" where it is a general one of an unknown or unspecified number of objects. If the number or scope is known and finite, then one uses "which"... or something like that.

I always get dinged for it anyway.

L.

What on earth do ppl learn in they're school's these days? ;)

I've seen some cracking ones on signs in South Wales. The mini-market at Gadlys, Aberdare (Gadlys is pronounced Gadliss, and is derived from "cadlys", meaning "camp" or "enclosure") used to have "Gadly's Discount Food Store" in huge lettering across the front before the apostrophe was removed. In Ystrad Mynach a furniture store offered "Soffas" and "Dinning Furniture" on their sign!

good spelling and punctuation shows a good education :D

Fortunate education should not reflect at someone who desires to become better... my spelling and punctuation is 'pants' but i'm very good at mathematics and three dimensional Geometry...... does my punctuation mean i am thick?.

Judging someone by comparison is wrong! The moral here is not the lack of punctuation or the spelling on the CV it's the content within!........or is the rest of the World perfect?

And so you should immediately, ahem, $hitcan CV's with spelling mistakes, after all you wouldn't want to interview someone like Richard Branson or Albert Einstein, Leonardo Da Vinci or Michael Faraday, Alexander Graham-Bell or Winston Churchill. Ignorance is bliss.

So feerkin what?

Those people you mention all have/had a special skill that takes them to the next level and would have excelled come what may.

What i am referring to is Joe Public who can't be arsed to check his CV before he shoots it off

One only has to look at this board to see the current plight. Good punctuation makes things a lot more readable and decipherable.

It is like those questions that sometimes pop up out of nowhere that are incoherent. They annoy me unless as stara mentions, the person has difficulties but that is quite easily identifiable.

(my ex is a teacher and we have gone through work to identify learning difficulties and the like)

I cant imagine many CV's coming in front of Morse.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links