Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Group Buy - Led "pulse" Brake Light Bulbs

Mr Morse

A new product - dual filament red 7443 LED bulbs that "pulse" 20 times per second for 2 seconds then illuminate normally.

For the full effect, you can also to the fogs-to-brakes modification and fit them there!

These are fitted as standard OEM to certain Mercedes models and are EU road legal. The "pulse" brake lights have been shown to reduce the braking reaction time of a following driver. Exerpt from Mercedes:

"Mercedes-Benz plans to add flashing brake lights to its vehicles in an effort to reduce rear-end collisions. The lights will initially enter production on the S-Class; the system has received approval by the European Union licensing authority. It will be followed by the CL-Class coupes.

Research by Mercedes engineers showed that driver reaction times are shortened by up to 0.2 seconds if a flashing red warning signal is used, instead of a conventional brake light during emergency braking. At 80 km/hr this reduced the stopping distance by approximately 4.4 metres, and at 100 km/hr by no less than 5.5 metres.

Mercedes-Benz tested various warning light systems and found that brake lights which light up four times as quickly as amber hazard warning flashers proved particularly effective in alerting drivers behind them. The study also revealed that switching on the hazard warning system in a dangerous situation has no significant effect on the reaction times of other drivers"

Prices are per pair, delivered to a UK address:

7443 fitment dual filament IS200/300/Altezza, other models

1 - 5 orders £38.80

6 - 10 orders £36.85

>10 orders £34.90

1157 fitment dual filament - MK1 GS300, MR2 Mk2, other models

1 - 5 orders £42.65

6 - 10 orders £40.52

>10 orders £38.38

I don't have an example to show in action yet as I haven't installed my own and I'm going to be out the country for a week.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so these replace the normal bulbs in the main cluster?

Are they the same for the Fog lights as well?

This bulb will replace the main fog/sidelight bulb in the main rear cluster. If you wants fogs-to-brakes as well, the same "pulsing" bulb will work.......and the rear of you car will look like the cabin of a 747 at take-off

So....

Rear clusters only = 1 pair

Rear clusters + fogs = 2 pairs

This bulb will replace the main fog/sidelight bulb in the main rear cluster. If you wants fogs-to-brakes as well, the same "pulsing" bulb will work.......and the rear of you car will look like the cabin of a 747 at take-off

So....

Mike

I presume these are for the IS and not suitable for the Mk1 GS with single (382) filament bulbs.

So....

Mike

I presume these are for the IS and not suitable for the Mk1 GS with single (382) filament bulbs.

I'm not sure what the 382 equates to........I can get these bulbs with the 7443 wedge fitting and also the 1157 bayonet fitting (which is possibly the 382).

So....

Mike

I'm not sure what the 382 equates to........I can get these bulbs with the 7443 wedge fitting and also the 1157 bayonet fitting (which is possibly the 382).

382 is a bayonet fitting with equally space pins but single filament so will check what equivalent in your spec is.

Put me down for a 1 pair, subject to seeing them on your car of course :) You might need to do a little video clip I think :)

Course mate.. :D

The samples only arrived a couple of days before I was due to travel and haven't had chance to install them yet.

Lets set the end of the GB last day in May which'll give me chance to install them and take a clip, they take 10-14 days to arrive

Put me down for a 1 pair, subject to seeing them on your car of course :) You might need to do a little video clip I think :)

Course mate.. :D

The samples only arrived a couple of days before I was due to travel and haven't had chance to install them yet.

Lets set the end of the GB last day in May which'll give me chance to install them and take a clip, they take 10-14 days to arrive

I'm very interested, would like to see a clip before I commit.

Thanks

If we/you can determine if they'll fit a mk1 GS, then I'd be interested Mike :winky:

Ditto Mike

For all us Mk1 GS300 owners the equivalent US spec for the UK 382 spec for stop lamps I believe is the 1157.

The 7443 bulbs only seem to be used in the Mk2.

Looks like the poor old MK1 owners are out of luck.

Mike: any chance of you clarifying this with your supplier?

The bulbs ARE available in the 1157 dual flament, bayonet type fitting. I'm waiting to hear back on prices for the 1157, may be a little more since they have more LED's

Mike

The stop lamp bulbs in the MK1 GS have just a single filament which I thought was a 382/1157 type bulb.

Do you think you could verify this for us?

Thanks

i'll be interested in one pair mate (possibly two, but don't know quite yet)....subject to seein them on yours first :winky: :D

Same as the above please Mike :D

The bulbs ARE available in the 1157 dual flament, bayonet type fitting. I'm waiting to hear back on prices for the 1157, may be a little more since they have more LED's

Mike

The stop lamp bulbs in the MK1 GS have just a single filament which I thought was a 382/1157 type bulb.

Do you think you could verify this for us?

Thanks

According to this link, the stop/tail lights on the GS300 Mk1 are 1157 bayonet type, dual filament:

GS300 Mk1 bulb types