Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Group Buy - Led "pulse" Brake Light Bulbs

Mr Morse

Ok, it works with one 10Ω LR each side. No lights on dashboard at all.

LR.jpg

This is the LR I used, delivery is next day, just solder a spare bit of wire on and your away.

RS Online

New video will be uploaded soon, as they now appear alot brighter.

Could the flashing Led's go in the fog lights after modification and be wired up to the brake circuit :question:

This is one thing i'm going to try this morning.

Excellent news thanks Lee :)

I hope this works out as I think in that position they will be the dogs do das :winky:

2ddesign

Sorry mate, couldn't do it today, haven't got the dual lamp holder, will order from chris on Monday.

wow, 10ohms :yawn:

have you just wired brake and earth across the LR??

i take it the wire is soldered to the new LR?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes mate, with 3Ω the dashlights came straight on.

yep, accross the brake feed and earth.

yep again, just solder a piece onto each side.

and they still pulse fine mate?

I would say so, will try that this afternoon. Need someone to stand outside car and see.

I would say so, will try that this afternoon. Need someone to stand outside car and see.

Right, they do still flash together and brighter than before.

Video on its way.

Video on its way.

Ok, fingers crossed the video works.

Flashing braking video(5Mb)

nice one lee, thanks for sorting this out mate.

i'll get down to maplins at some point soo.

out of interest, how hard do you find yourself braking to get these bulbs to pulse?? i find you have to jam the brake pedal pretty hard

Video on its way.

nice one lee, thanks for sorting this out mate.

i'll get down to maplins at some point soo.

out of interest, how hard do you find yourself braking to get these bulbs to pulse?? i find you have to jam the brake pedal pretty hard

Yes, almost emergency stopping, which is what they were designed for. In the video, coming backwards, they don't flash under light/ordinary breaking.

Video on its way.

Cheers for this video, I have to say they do seem brighter now, is that the 10ohm resistor that's caused that? And how?

I know you've already been so much help but is there any chance you could do the old bulb one side LED bulb other side thing again with your new setup - just to confirm before ordering some of these 10ohm resistors?

Video on its way.

Cheers for this video, I have to say they do seem brighter now, is that the 10ohm resistor that's caused that? And how?

I know you've already been so much help but is there any chance you could do the old bulb one side LED bulb other side thing again with your new setup - just to confirm before ordering some of these 10ohm resistors?

I'll give it ago shortly

Guys,

A 6ohm LR is sufficient to block the dash light.

Ohm's Law:

Remember that we have one constant (12v) and two variables in the equation (current & resistance). Since the brightness of the bulbs is a function of the voltage, increasing the resistance to 10ohms does not make any difference whatsoever.

Guys,

A 6ohm LR is sufficient to block the dash light.

Ohm's Law:

Remember that we have one constant (12v) and two variables in the equation (current & resistance). Since the brightness of the bulbs is a function of the voltage, increasing the resistance to 10ohms does not make any difference whatsoever.

Oh ok, but I only used one LR not 2

Video on its way.

Flashing braking video(5Mb

I'll give it ago shortly

Ok, here is the last vid I'm doing.

One LED and one OEM (5Mb). Not saying which is which thats for you to figure out.

Found there was no need to remove the LR when putting OEM bulb back in.

Good luck everyone, personally I think its a very worthwhile mod.

Video on its way.

I'll give it ago shortly

One LED and one OEM (5Mb). Not saying which is which thats for you to figure out.

Hi Lee

I can not get your last above two videos to run in Quicktime on my Mac? your first two no problems have you changed the file format :blush:

2ddesign

Hi Lee

I can not get your last above two videos to run in Quicktime on my Mac? your first two no problems have you changed the file format :blush:

2ddesign

Yes mate, had to encode them as svcd to reduce the file size, initially it was 50Mb. Found the SVCD format was the best size.

I know Media player fetches the correct codec.

You could try opening them in your DVD player, I know PowerDVD opens them fine on PC's

Video on its way.

I'll give it ago shortly

Cheers Lee...

Could you do a vid with the car tail lights on, I think the LED tail light is not as bright as the std bulb.

Ta :)

Just a quick one, why don't you just remove the warning bulb from the dash therefore not requiring the load resistors. The LEDs are never gonna go. And if, by some strange paranormal incident, do go, I'm sure the friendly boys in blue will let you know. :-)

S.

Cheers Lee...

Could you do a vid with the car tail lights on, I think the LED tail light is not as bright as the std bulb.

Ta :)

Certainly mate, have taken a pic of LED tail lights in the dark, not a comparison though, will have a go tomorrow and post results.

Just a quick one, why don't you just remove the warning bulb from the dash therefore not requiring the load resistors. The LEDs are never gonna go. And if, by some strange paranormal incident, do go, I'm sure the friendly boys in blue will let you know. :-)

S.

:D now theres an idea. The reason I went with the load resistors cos I thought it easier to install the LR's whilst I have the light cluster out instead of having to remove the dash as well.

Could the flashing Led's go in the fog lights after modification and be wired up to the brake circuit :question:

This is one thing i'm going to try this morning.

Excellent news thanks Lee :)

I hope this works out as I think in that position they will be the dogs do das :winky:

2ddesign

Hi Lee

Is the fitting of the Led's into the fog lights a practicial proposition :blink:

or are you keeping them in the brake light position :question:

Cheers

2ddesign

Right after a fair bit of testing on Robs and my car, we have found that 3 LR are needed, the way we have done it is one 10ohm LR each side then one 6ohm LR on either side, we went for the offside.

We have it set up so as 10ohm accross the brake to earth on both sides and the 6ohm accross the side light to earth on the offside only.

This has really got me going as I had a 10ohm on each side all day yesterday and no lights at all. Came to it this morning and had the light come on.

But as stated above it is now working, no lights at all. Sorry for messing everyone around, as this has pee'd me off enough I'll let everyone else install theres how they like.

Rob can you just confirm that yours is still going good.

Cheers

Lee.

Hi Lee

Is the fitting of the Led's into the fog lights a practicial proposition :blink:

Cheers

2ddesign

I'm not too sure mate, not sure how bright they would be as fog lights.

Hi Lee

Cheers

2ddesign

I'm not too sure mate, not sure how bright they would be as fog lights.

Hi Lee

As you have your fogs linked to your brake lights I thought that the flashing Led's might have fitted in there (if possible) and then the load resistors might have been kept down to one set per bulb :unsure:

Thanks you for all your experimenting to date :winky: on behalf of those like me who are waiting to see how this turns out!

2ddesign