Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Suggested Fix To Squeaky Seat

Hi. I am just gaining info from my fellow owners on your opinion.

I have had my 250 since late January and within the first month discovered I had a squeaky drivers seat (and Jamboo, I don't wear leather pants). I have had it back to the dealer twice already and each time the noise has gone away for about 2 to 3 days and returned, seemingly in a different spot and louder.

I have received a call from the dealership with them wanting to take it to an upholsterer, to have it stripped back and all joints tightened and back together. They are a bit reluctant to get another seat out from Japan as it costs $5k-$7k (Aussie $s) and if it is wrong, the dealership has to wear it.

I have said too :tsktsk: bad. This is practically a new car and started within the first month of ownership and I don't believe they could have the seat back in "new" condition after being stripped back.

What are your views? Am I being difficult? :angry:

I have had my 250 since late January and within the first month discovered I had a squeaky drivers seat (and Jamboo, I don't wear leather pants). I have had it back to the dealer twice already and each time the noise has gone away for about 2 to 3 days and returned, seemingly in a different spot and louder.

I have received a call from the dealership with them wanting to take it to an upholsterer, to have it stripped back and all joints tightened and back together. They are a bit reluctant to get another seat out from Japan as it costs $5k-$7k (Aussie $s) and if it is wrong, the dealership has to wear it.

I have said too :tsktsk: bad. This is practically a new car and started within the first month of ownership and I don't believe they could have the seat back in "new" condition after being stripped back.

Insist on the replacement in my view. I think they are Bullsh**ing you about having to carry the cost. It is warrantee work and as such is paid for by Lexus.

If they are not convinced it is the seat itself tell them to put one from their demo model into your car for a week and see if the sound returns. If it does then it's not the seat. Simple and quick.

Might not be the rubber pants, but how about that false hip :duh: :P

I would absolutely insist on a new seat!! Don't give in matey - it's a new car, you paid top dollar (pardoning punns) and you are entitled to a replacement dodgy part.

My courtesy car squeaked too slightly - a metallic "creak" is the best description of that one. Especially when taking corners...

Speak to the dealer principal (or whatever they're called in Oz) and be polite but firm...

Good luck buddy!

This is defo a warranty job, I had a squeaky seat on my IS200 and they replaced the electrics for the up / down seat part under warranty - been fine ever since.

I'm taking mine in to Lexus Tunbridge Wells for a squeaky seat and a few rattles on 20th May.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm sure someone else on here has posted re a squeaky seat before and they got a brand new one.

Hey RAP03. I have the same issue with the drivers seat in my Dec delivered IS 250 Prestige. Every corner, under brakes and when entering/exiting the car creates an orchestra of creaks, squeaks and groans. I have brought it to the attention of the ONLY lexus dealer in the whole of Western Australia (choice of dealers is not an option for the 2.1million people who live here!) who said they would look into it when the car receives its new seat belt assemblies. (This has also locked on 3 occassions!). It is nice to know that your dealer is at least treating the issue seriously. I will pursue the matter more vigorously and post the results. I do love my new car though!

I thought I was the only one - I took the car today to Tunbridge Wells to sort the squeaky seat(Drivers). Its only when taking corners....

Arkanoid - what did Lexus TW's say? I am hoping to get mine back this evening.

Interesting this! Lexus replaced my Copassenger seat last month which cost them 5k apparently.

Javeed

Hi RAP03

I believe that you should always take the reasonable approach. I think it is reasonable to follow the recommendation of the dealer and have the upholsterer give it a go.

You have nothing to lose and it might fix the problem. If it doesn't, then you are only back where you started.

A new new seat might introduce new problems. What if the colour isn't an exact match with the rest of the interior?

Lexus are already up to visit 2 to fix some dash creaks with my IS (incidentially the creaks started after they fixed a dash rattle). They'll keep getting it back until they fix the problem. However, it is reasonable to allow them the opportunity to try and fix the problem.

Also being reasonable can have its payoff if something else goes wrong where you really need their co-operation and goodwill. It isn't always the person who screams loudest who gets the most attention (just most of the time).

C ya

Crispy

Hi RAP03

I believe that you should always take the reasonable approach. I think it is reasonable to follow the recommendation of the dealer and have the upholsterer give it a go.

You have nothing to lose and it might fix the problem. If it doesn't, then you are only back where you started.

A new new seat might introduce new problems. What if the colour isn't an exact match with the rest of the interior?

Lexus are already up to visit 2 to fix some dash creaks with my IS (incidentially the creaks started after they fixed a dash rattle). They'll keep getting it back until they fix the problem. However, it is reasonable to allow them the opportunity to try and fix the problem.

Also being reasonable can have its payoff if something else goes wrong where you really need their co-operation and goodwill. It isn't always the person who screams loudest who gets the most attention (just most of the time).

C ya

Crispy

I shouted louder and harder than most...as you all know :duh: and I only agree in part. As you mention the dealer fixing one problem leads to another...the seat is a complex bit of kit and I would say replace the whole lot.

It's your choice RAP03 - afterall the seat problem more or less started on delivery and RAP03 should be entitled to a replacement seat - it was faulty from manufacture!!

Yes the seat could be a different colour, but I would rather they order a new seat, it's checked for a match, and then it should be agreed if it should be fitted. Also, there must be a demo/showroom car around with an identical seat....

For me it did make a difference - they sorted the entire car in one hit and even just replaced the whole satnav sytem. I ask you why anyone should have to put up with bad workmanship/quality - regardless of the make. We all bought the car early in the lifecycle of the product, and effectively "guinea pigged" the product. However we also paid top dollar and many people who are having a problem are Lexus die hards - the least the manufacturer should do is actually totally proactively replace things, at any cost and not whinge about that cost...how about them showing some loyalty...? Why should you even have to ask or worry about it...

Crispy - the question of "reasonableness" - well I would suggest it's unreasonable that the dealer takes the cheap and easy route 'cos it's better for them...

I thought I was the only one - I took the car today to Tunbridge Wells to sort the squeaky seat(Drivers). Its only when taking corners....

Interesting this! Lexus replaced my Copassenger seat last month which cost them 5k apparently.

Javeed

Just a couple of comments on the seat problem gents

1. There is no way the seats cost 5k each as this would mean that the seats alone for the car would cost 20k+ Is this was the case the rest of the car would have to be made of cardboard...... rattles/cardboard ? this needs further investigation. :D

2. I agree with Crispy that the dealer should be allowed to fix the problem but only if he accepts that the final solution is as good as if there was no problem from the beginning ie no squeaks and no colour disparity. Otherwise no deal.

3. There is no way however that I would allow the dealer multiple attempts to fix the problem. Let him take his best shot and if that doesn't work get a new one.

Thanks all for the comments and interesting to see that I am not the only one with this problem.

I have given them (Lexus) a fair go to rectify the problem and they have not been successful.

I am not going to let them have an upholsterer "have a go" at fixing this. I am not sure what he will have to do to get the cover off and back on, but I don't feel it would be a good thing.

As for screaming loud, well, I have been quite patient till now and as this is my second Lexus, have not "held them to ransom" in the past over any of the work or issues. Mind you, the previous IS didn't have any of these issues, well, not mine anyway.

As I have paid about 50% more for this IS over the previous one (a ***** load of money), then I am not settling for any "we'll have a go" attitudes. If it means a new seat (no matter what they say the cost is), then they have better get on their bike and get one. As for colour match, etc, I will make sure I get them to show me the new seat before they install it.

Yep Jamboo, I would imagine they should have one in the demos, but I can't imagine them wanting to put a squeaky seat into the demos to show off to customers.

I can wait until they get it shipped in from Japan. I can suss out the other noises that are cropping up/coming back while waiting.

Thanks all for the comments and interesting to see that I am not the only one with this problem.

I have given them (Lexus) a fair go to rectify the problem and they have not been successful.

I am not going to let them have an upholsterer "have a go" at fixing this. I am not sure what he will have to do to get the cover off and back on, but I don't feel it would be a good thing.

As for screaming loud, well, I have been quite patient till now and as this is my second Lexus, have not "held them to ransom" in the past over any of the work or issues. Mind you, the previous IS didn't have any of these issues, well, not mine anyway.

As I have paid about 50% more for this IS over the previous one (a ***** load of money), then I am not settling for any "we'll have a go" attitudes. If it means a new seat (no matter what they say the cost is), then they have better get on their bike and get one. As for colour match, etc, I will make sure I get them to show me the new seat before they install it.

Yep Jamboo, I would imagine they should have one in the demos, but I can't imagine them wanting to put a squeaky seat into the demos to show off to customers.

I can wait until they get it shipped in from Japan. I can suss out the other noises that are cropping up/coming back while waiting.

Good luck buddy. Lexus assured me (eventually) that they have a very robust way of dealing with warranty work, but also make sure you agree what scuff's etc are in the car when you give it to them - it should come back the same. Mine didn't quite and I never complained ('cos I would have gopne mad)...I just cleaned the windscreen myself and I'm ignoring a small scuff mark on the ashtray lid (!) which one of these days I'll gently polish out.

It's normally 2 goes at the dealer, before LGB get involved over here, so I suspect Lexus AUS will get involved when they need to....but....It might be an idea to contact LAUS and tell then what's happened...it keeps it on record and they will track it until it's fixed.

PS - RAP03 - remember that this will be the 2nd attenmpt at a fix on your car...so it's best to let Lexus Australia know asap!!

Javeed

It's booked in for next weekend. Unfortunately the squeak has become less regular. It seems to occur more on hilly roads.

Also most of my rattles seem to have disappeared. It would seem they are more prevalant in the cold weather. Is it still worth me going to the dealers?

Javeed

It's booked in for next weekend. Unfortunately the squeak has become less regular. It seems to occur more on hilly roads.

Also most of my rattles seem to have disappeared. It would seem they are more prevalant in the cold weather. Is it still worth me going to the dealers?

Yes! My dealer principal toldf me that anyone with even a small defect should take it in immediately!! It's the only way "Lexus product info" is updated, patterns emerge, and cars can be made right at the factory...so definately YES!

Mine was the same - worse in the cold, but they really it gave a good going over, including leaving out over night and then driving first thing through their "rattle test street"!!

Mine was the same - worse in the cold, but they really it gave a good going over, including leaving out over night and then driving first thing through their "rattle test street"!!

I've had a high frequency rattle from the centre of my IS250 dash just once after leaving the car overnight in sub zero temperatures. It disappeared as soon as the interior warmed up (about 20 minutes). As I've no doubt this would repeat itself under the same set of circumstances I mentioned it to the Technician at the local Lexus Dealership. His opinion (not necessarily those of the Dealership) was that pulling the dash apart to fix theis minor problem may introduce far bigger ones.

Just a thought but I've learnt to listen to the guy as he's sorted any problems I've had with my IS200 Sport in the past (one last week in fact which was a constant rubbing noise that I thought was the rear pads and discs...he sorted after two hours investigation and rectification FOC).

Hi Jamboo. THis was the 3rd time, so yes, they have had their chances.

Just contacted them about a towbar (see other forum listing) and they have ordered a new seat.

Will keep you posted about match of colour etc.

Re: Cold weather and affect on noises. Just starting to get some cool morning down here, so I hope the gremlims don't start appearing.

I have a rattle now that is around the centre of the dash (around the centre speaker) that I get when going over bumpy roads. Will get it looked at as it seems to be getting worse even though I could end up with other issues if they have to take out the centre stereo system, etc.

And how can any of you leave your new babies out in the cold overnight.... :D :D :D

I've had a high frequency rattle from the centre of my IS250 dash just once after leaving the car overnight in sub zero temperatures. It disappeared as soon as the interior warmed up (about 20 minutes). As I've no doubt this would repeat itself under the same set of circumstances I mentioned it to the Technician at the local Lexus Dealership. His opinion (not necessarily those of the Dealership) was that pulling the dash apart to fix theis minor problem may introduce far bigger ones.

Just a thought but I've learnt to listen to the guy as he's sorted any problems I've had with my IS200 Sport in the past (one last week in fact which was a constant rubbing noise that I thought was the rear pads and discs...he sorted after two hours investigation and rectification FOC).

Tango,

Did you get your 18" wheels/tyres?

Tel :driving:

Hi Jamboo. THis was the 3rd time, so yes, they have had their chances.

Just contacted them about a towbar (see other forum listing) and they have ordered a new seat.

Will keep you posted about match of colour etc.

Re: Cold weather and affect on noises. Just starting to get some cool morning down here, so I hope the gremlims don't start appearing.

I have a rattle now that is around the centre of the dash (around the centre speaker) that I get when going over bumpy roads. Will get it looked at as it seems to be getting worse even though I could end up with other issues if they have to take out the centre stereo system, etc.

And how can any of you leave your new babies out in the cold overnight.... :D :D :D

Err ,I don't think your cool weather in Brisbane is any different to our Summer in the UK. :P :P

Tango,

Did you get your 18" wheels/tyres?

Tel :driving:

That centre dash problems could be down to a speaker grill that needs replacing, which is a simple job. Something to do with the retaining clips. If it's anything more then again I think the dealer will be up to fixing it properly - they replaced the whole SatNav on mine, which means they would have had to remove most of the dash, but i think they also took the time and opportunity to tie up any wiring etc properly so mines as tight as a nut now...no squeaks at all.

Good to hear RAP03 that they've ordered a new seat - which I still think is what they should have offered in your case at the start (with it having been a dodgy part from almost Day 1).

Put this behind you and enjoy the car. I'm about to remove my coat of P21S and post some pic's.

Taking the dash out is no big deal It needs to be done to get access to many components Dont take no for an answer The dash rattle has a 100% cure and it can be done I am sure that by now lexus has told all main dealers how to carry it out. Since mine was done no dash rattle at all and no new problems from taking it out either

alan

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links