Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying A New Tv

:lookaround: I am planning to buy a new TV, at least 32 inch up to 42 inch. LCD is my first choice, but would consider Plasma if it proves to be a better choice. whichever one would of course have to be HD ready. I must admit to watching far too much TV, so one that stands up to a lot of use is needed.

There is such a big choice of makes, and then so many options within the different makes I don't know which to choose. Picture and sound quality are more important than price (I would rather pay a bit extra for quality and relability) up to a point.

Any suggestions, experiences or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

oldun :lookaround:

All I can say is that it may be a bit more expensive but if you buy from john lewis most electricals come with 5 years warrenty as standard so from that point of view your covered if it were to ever break down i know theese new plasma's can be expensive

Happy HUnting

G

Im in the market for one at the moment myself, from what ive been told most LCDs are only good up to 32" after that they lack clarity. I have decided on the 43" Pioneer XDE plasma :wub::wub: - aka black beauty, awesome picture looks brilliant, check out av forums for more info :)

Im in the market for one at the moment myself, from what ive been told most LCDs are only good up to 32" after that they lack clarity. I have decided on the 43" Pioneer XDE plasma :wub::wub: - aka black beauty, awesome picture looks brilliant, check out av forums for more info :)

Very good tv that Shahz, my mate had just got one :D

I would hold off for a short time if you can.

For HD you may also need to buy a HD decoder and they are not cheap.

A normal CRT screen still gives the best quality picture out of them all, and Samsung are looking to bring out a HD CRT 32" v-soon.

There was an article this month in "Which" about Screens and its not a bad read........TESTED QUITE A FEW

HD Ready - Garantees the Minimum spec that makes a TV suitable for HD Broadcasts.

HD Compatible TVs have lower screen res.

any the upshot was

Best HD-Ready =

SONY KDL-S32A12U (LCD)

PIONEER PDP-436FDE (PLASMA)

PANASONIC TX-32LXD52 (LCD)

Hope this helps

Rob

BTW ask to watch a dark scene from a movie, and a football match. dont trust the cartoons they put on to demonstrate.

take your own disk in with you - the films that are played on the TV's are made to make them look good - same with the cartoons - large blocks of single colours are easy to show.

Samsung make excellent LCD's and even sell their screens to other manufactures to rebrand. I bought a Samsung LCD and its a great TV.

I spose the other market leaders are Panasonic and Pioneer.

I bought a Samsung 32" M61 (Milano II) earlier this year as after very rigorous testing, I found it to be the best 32" LCD in my opinion. However, it does appear to vary on personal tastes, and also how picky you are with regards to picture quality. I was very picky so it took a while to find one good enough :)

However, I would recommend LCD as their SD performance can now match plasmas, but the HD performance blows plasmas away. Also if you can wait, I would for a short while as the screens that support 1080p are slowly filtering on the market so these are the ones to buy to be fully futureproof.

Obviously though if you need a TV now, then buy the one that you prefer, reviews don't seem to be that helpful as different people seem to pick up different faults.......

My personal favourites are:

Plasma: Pioneer

LCD: Samsung M61 (obviously), also Philips 9830 is worth a look (but I found it jerky with fast motion)

Anything above 32" LCD will be very expensive.

Bobski i agree, i said that CRT is still the best a while back but other jumped down my throat.

I have a contact in electrical wholesale where i can get things very cheap :winky: and see plenty of LCD. Plasma and CRT's on a weekly basis. I would agree Pioneer Plasma and they have a seperate box as well.

The sony WEGA and Bravia are ok as well but pricey.

Very good tv that Shahz, my mate had just got one :D

A work of art is it not :D

Thanks everyone for your very informative replies. I think I will wait for an LCD with 1080 pixels as they seem to be the most future proof.

Fortuneately I have a Sony 32"CRT TV which is still working just fine, but was thinking of getting ready for high definition programmes.

oldun :)

I see noone mentioned LG although they make alot of screens for other manufacturers! LG make some fantastic TVs especially the HD ready ones with XD engine technology!

I see noone mentioned LG although they make alot of screens for other manufacturers! LG make some fantastic TVs especially the HD ready ones with XD engine technology!

LG make them with Philps. :winky:

LG make them with Philps. :winky:

I thought it was Sony :unsure:

No, LG & Philips.

I thought philips LCDs used Sharp panels - I'm sure the 9830 said Sharp when you go into the service menu :unsure:

By the way, its Sony and Samsung that are working together and share panels

I agree LG do make good panels that are used in a lot of TVs, but their image processing is not quite at the same level as some of the others, although with HD this becomes less important

I've been looking for a while too, but I have found that upto 37" LCD HD Ready offer a good picture. Above 37" and it has to be Plasma. LCD gets too pixelly...

Samsung and LG make a big% of all Plasma and LCD panels. Overall I still think that the best is the Pioneer, but pricey!!

I need to wait for my Panasonic CRT 29" to blow up first...'cos the Plasma's are getting bigger and cheaper all of the time...you can now pick up 50" plasma's for a couple of grand...

I've been looking for a while too, but I have found that upto 37" LCD HD Ready offer a good picture. Above 37" and it has to be Plasma. LCD gets too pixelly...

Samsung and LG make a big% of all Plasma and LCD panels. Overall I still think that the best is the Pioneer, but pricey!!

I need to wait for my Panasonic CRT 29" to blow up first...'cos the Plasma's are getting bigger and cheaper all of the time...you can now pick up 50" plasma's for a couple of grand...

Couple of grand i wouldnt pay that Jamboo. Try about half that :winky:

Retailers make me sick the amount they make.

Couple of grand i wouldnt pay that Jamboo. Try about half that :winky:

Retailers make me sick the amount they make.

You're right...they make 'em for penny's now...

It's even worse in this country, so I tend to buy my elec's abroad :winky: (those that I can carry back of course...)!!