Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So You Thought Chip And Pin Was Safe

I always thought it wouldn't be safe.

When using Halifax telephone banking they ask for two digits out of your six-digit PIN. If someone copies them down, fine - they've only got a one-in-fifteen chance of being asked for the same digit pair, and if they give the wrong numbers 3 times the service is disabled until you ring them up and answer all the security questions.

I'd have expected such a 2-from-6 solution to be much more secure than a 4-digit PIN.

ive also been sceptical about the benifet os chip and pin.. i mean if your in a shop and you pay via card who'se to say that someone is not watching your fingers tap in your pin,, then goes and mugs you for the card.

whereas if you have to sign for it then it aint so easy to use that same mugged card to pay for things cause the sig doesnt match..

Chip and pin is better than signing as at work EVERY one covers up but there all tight ***** builders (no offence if any builders read this)

but as said if we can make it theres always some one who will crack it

Chip and pin is better than signing as at work EVERY one covers up but there all tight ***** builders (no offence if any builders read this)

but as said if we can make it theres always some one who will crack it

Thing is, cash machines don't read the chip, do they? They use the strip instead. Something as simple as swiping the card through a magnetic strip reader, then capturing the keypresses on the chip+pin box electronically (i.e. by wiring to the button contacts) gets you the code and the PIN needed to withdraw at a cash machine. As chip+pin is so new people might think that swiping the card first is a legitimate way to do it.

I always thought it would be better to have a pin for purchases and a pin for withdrawing money. Least this would make it harder. This chip and pin crap is only to pass the liability to customers and not finance providers

i dont believe they are any more secure

nor does my bank manager !

he agreed that methods of remembering the pin are somewhat crude and easily worked out

but...i have found it usefull

so far my dad, janey have both gone on shopping trips with my card with no questions asked ;)

they couldnt do it before !

Whats wrong with putting your pic on your credit cards BoS used to do it, and for a fiver Abbey will do it.

Hard to forge a face.

Dont help with cash machines much just yet though :)

finger prints are just as easy to forge, all you need is a beer glass someone has been holding and you can build up laytex copy of it. i actually watched someone do it a few years back.

retnal scanners would be good, but they can be screwed by contacts and glasses. Nothing will ever be totaly secure, you just have to be carefull. Most fraud still occurs with cash machines, like the signs say, if you see something dodgy dont use the machine.

Amex also used to use photo's but people change over time, so it reduces the number of years a card can be vaild for.

With this scam, they still use the old fashioned route. It's not the chip and pin in the UK being forged, but that magnetic strip being used abroad.

The cash machines too should become C&P, and all non C&P have to be scrapped for this to work properly. The mag strip should be removed. I'm sure they could do if they really really wanted to, but then like you say some human somewhere will still defeat it...

You can't even trust the cash in your hand...that could be forged!

When working from home, I use a "SecurID" token which allows me to log into the work mainframe. That is very very safe, and there is no reason why they could not do that with Credit Card C&P, where the Pin is different all of the time...

The reports indicate that the fraud is being committed using foreign ATM's.

So a simple answer would be to block foreign cash machines exept by special request.

I have no intention of going abroad myself so if my card was used abroad then get the ATM to block it and keep it !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links